Suggestion: Create sub-forum for social media

Discussion in 'Announcements and Feedback' started by K9Buck, Sep 9, 2018.

1. K9Buck

K9Buck Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,418
    Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc. are all dominant in the world. There should probably be a sub-forum entitled "Social Media". Thanks for your consideration.

2. Billy_Kinetta

Billy_Kinetta Paladin of the Lost Hour Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40,924
    I don't use social media, but yes. We really should isolate you people. :auiqs.jpg:

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 4
  3. bear513

bear513 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,847

What the fuck is this????

Dork

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. flacaltenn

flacaltenn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,292
    Personally, it sounds good, but there's some considerations that clash with our "no content or drama or personal info from outside" policies. Facebook opens moderation concerns about personal information being imported. Twitter aint' gonna get us closer to better discussion. Same for Instagram. USMB is social media of a different form. We have the Flame Zone and the Clean Debate and everything in between. We'd have to exclude other message boards, some "comment forums" and even the "alt" type channels.

There are social media events and brushfires that don't make the main channels. Some of those would promote discussion. But all threads have to have a topic and the conversions limited to that topic.

What kind of discussion material do you thing we'd gain from doing that? I'm all ears.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Billy_Kinetta

Billy_Kinetta Paladin of the Lost Hour Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40,924
    Yes, it's sort of an open bar with lots of hysterical yelling from the Left, and calm, sensible opposition from the right.

6. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    Happy Rosh Hashana!

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  7. K9Buck

K9Buck Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,418
    A lot of political discourse occurs on social media. Twitter is obviously Trump's go-to when communicating. Twitter was recently caught shadow-banning Republican congressmen. Facebook has been criticized for censoring prominent conservatives.

Twitter just suspended one of the Benghazi heroes for having the audacity to state that Obama didn't kill Bin Laden and that Robert O'Neil did.

I think it might be appropriate to have a sub-forum dedicated to discussions of things that occur on social media. Just a thought.

8. flacaltenn

flacaltenn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,292
    As far as NEWS about social media dust-ups -- I think that's excellent idea. And it's not hard to implement. What worries me is drawing the line against other discussion and content forums and actually discussing personal content that comes out of Facebook. Whether its a member or some other person that's not a public figure.

It would be good to divert some of the Twitter/Facebook news and mini-meltdowns to a separate forum.. Folks would probably like to discuss alternatives to those site as well. But how do we rule out content from sites like Tinder, MeetMe or others from becoming USMB topics.. :ack-1: You just know that some USMB members would have field day posting dating horror stories or the truly strange.

And I don't think we'd want to JUST include Twitter, Facebook, Instagram to the exclusion of others. We need to discuss this a bit more. Need a forum title and description that screams what you're looking for here.

9. K9Buck

K9Buck Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,418
    Social Media

The purpose of this sub-forum is to discuss issues, political or social, that occur on social media platforms. Examples could be statements by President Trump or a social media outlet banning a prominent public figure. In keeping with our ongoing policy, users may not reveal personal information on themselves or others.

10. Admiral Rockwell Tory

Admiral Rockwell Tory Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,336
    I had a bad case of that once, but the doctor cured me with a big dose of penicillin.

No, wait that was a rash I got from Shoshana! Never mind!

• Funny Funny x 1