Sugary drink ban is ..... RACIST!

I don't like the ban, but I agree with the concept. Sugar is the number one cause of obesity, whether it is in its purest form or if it is converted from carbs. Instead of an outright ban, I would rather see a sin tax on larger drinks. Make it so the big drink costs substantially more than a smaller sized drink. Then people can decide if they want to spend the extra or not. Use the tax funds strictly for state health care in some form.

Just so people understand how much soda affects our weight, think of it this way. If you drink two 20 ounce Pepsi or Coke drinks per day, that is 500 calories per day. Multiply that times seven days per week, and you have 3500 calories or the equivalent of one pound of fat. That equates to 52 pounds of added weight per year that an individual will gain or will not lose if they are not active enough. In the course of a year, that amounts to 182,000 useless calories that provide zero nourishment to a person.

What about people who aren't obese? What about fat beer bellies who don't drink sugary drinks but guzzle down the Bud?

What about them? Very few healthy people drink tons of pop. As for those who become obese on beer, they are already paying heavy sin taxes for their stupidity.

The government should start subsidizing gym memberships for obese minorities.

This sugary drink ban is just silly.

I can walk into any store and buy tons of candy.

Yes, the sugary drink ban is silly and nothing more than the flexing of governments bicep

The government should start subsidizing gym memberships for obese minorities.

This sugary drink ban is just silly.

Obese people who drink too much pop and eat too much food are not interested in going to the gym. If they were to all of a sudden become concerned, then they would stop drinking all the damn soda and join the gym on their own. All giving them a free gym membership would do is put money in the hands of the gym owners. Those people won't go just because you give them a handout.

I really don't have much hope for changing attitudes among the adult population. I think if we want to attack this epidemic, we must attack it with the kids. We need to teach them to eat properly and most importantly, we need to get them active, even if that means forcing them to get active. Mandatory gym class five days a week for every kid in grades 1 through 12. That long term investment would pay off. I realize that talking to kids about nutrition doesn't do much good if they have no control over what their parents feed them, but just as kids come home and tell their parents to quit smoking because it is bad for them, if kids are taught properly, they'll bug their parents to buy healthier foods.

Where we end up going wrong is that we tend to go from one extreme to the other. Either people eat all bad stuff, or they eliminate everything bad and are fanatics about it. Now being a fanatic and not eating anything bad is definitely preferable to the opposite, but the truth is if people would get an adequate amount of exercise, and eat mostly healthy foods, then they could eat some of the good things that are not good for us without any of the bad effects. I still go to McDonald's, and Wendy's, and Taco Bell, but I only go there maybe once per month. In a three month period, I may eat at each place once. At home, I eat ice cream, chocolate, chips, and all kinds of bad things. That's probably why I can't lose those last two inches in my gut, lol. The difference is that I'm battling two inches so I can look ripped. Most people are battling six to ten inches just so they can look normal.

Forum List

Back