Suffering

manu1959 said:
dan...bad things happen...i have had people die in my arms...i have lost my job...i have lost my father....i have been to the edge of homlessness and i have been rich

yet i have never suffered....

You do while it happens, but to cling to it and let it control you, preventing you from moving on is not healthy.

yet i choose not to greive or foucus on my own suffering as as a reult of what i have experienced

OK, I see what you're saying now. I think there's a big difference between not wanting to focus your energy on the negative stuff in your life and just completely refusing to admit that there's anything bad in your life. I thought you were saying you were of the latter group, which I guess you're not. Sorry for the confusion.

Said1 said:
You do while it happens, but to cling to it and let it control you, preventing you from moving on is not healthy.

you know i have never done that .... i remember the weekend i broke my leg playing soccer which ended my playing days, my company went BK and my fiance walked out on me....

i rember thinking..... i will learn to play left footed, i will get a better job, and good thing i didn't marry her....

inside of 5 years i was a partner in a new firm, was playing left footed and married with a abeutiful wife and son

i just can't say i suffered....i chose not to

manu1959 said:
you know i have never done that .... i remember the weekend i broke my leg playing soccer which ended my playing days, my company went BK and my fiance walked out on me....

i rember thinking..... i will learn to play left footed, i will get a better job, and good thing i didn't marry her....

inside of 5 years i was a partner in a new firm, was playing left footed and married with a abeutiful wife and son

i just can't say i suffered....i chose not to

Maybe suffer isn't the right word then. How about saddness? There is nothing wrong with looking at the bright side, but I don't believe you if you are saying you weren't up set for a few minutes at the very least.

manu and I subscribe to very similar philosophies, from the sounds of it....

"Every day is a holiday, and Every meal is a feast!!!!"

When there is crap all around you, have a fertilizer sale!

Being sad is not the same, at all....suffering is a self induced state of pre-occupying yourself with the bs that is all around us in this world.

Look up, enjoy the view, skip in the park, take some drugs (ok...maybe not)! Get yourself out of your funk, and take control of your life and emotions. Your emotions just don't happen, and control you....we are sentient beings that have full capability of choosing how we feel, and how we react to situations beyond our control.

Fmr jarhead said:
manu and I subscribe to very similar philosophies, from the sounds of it....

"Every day is a holiday, and Every meal is a feast!!!!"

When there is crap all around you, have a fertilizer sale!

Being sad is not the same, at all....suffering is a self induced state of pre-occupying yourself with the bs that is all around us in this world.

Look up, enjoy the view, skip in the park, take some drugs (ok...maybe not)! Get yourself out of your funk, and take control of your life and emotions. Your emotions just don't happen, and control you....we are sentient beings that have full capability of choosing how we feel, and how we react to situations beyond our control.

yep
:beer:

dilloduck said:
Party on dudes !!!! So what if your entire soccer team was killed? Had a big happy party that very evening I bet!

nope they were killed the year before i was born....missed the whole thing....i am sure they suffered though....parents wanted to see the bodies i am sure

manu1959 said:
nope they were killed the year before i was born....missed the whole thing....i am sure they suffered though....parents wanted to see the bodies i am sure

Guess they just didn't have the mind control that you do.

manu1959 said:
i am sad for them

this battle over semantics has turned into a silly pissing contest---sad, suffering---same thing to me. You mean you can't just turn off off your sadness?

dilloduck said:
this battle over semantics has turned into a silly pissing contest---sad, suffering---same thing to me. You mean you can't just turn off off your sadness?

ok seriously i totaly get what you are saying ..... i choose not to see the down side of my lifes unfortunate events i look for the positve....i have had so many bad things happen in my life i have friends ask me why i am not a basket case .... they say i have suffered etc .....

i guess i just don't see the bad stuff.....everything happens for a reason and all has turned out for the best.....

in fact my life proves your point....you must suffer to reach the light....

if you spend all your time trying to be right you will never be correct

bye all .... have a nice weekend .... pray for the man that is dying in italy ... look for the good in life and in those you come in contact with

dilloduck said:
Party on dudes !!!! So what if your entire soccer team was killed? Had a big happy party that very evening I bet!

I would celebrate their lives, and continue on with mine, as I would expect them to do with theirs....

Hey there is a time for mourning, no doubt, but I don't think there is anything but a long dirt nap after this life...time to live, and do the best you can with the short time that is available....

If you care to read about some of the soccer team from the Andes (if this is what you were referring to) check out the following interview:

http://www.viven.com.uy/571/eng/EntCanessa012002.asp

...and Nando is extremely inspiring....

http://www.viven.com.uy/571/eng/EntParrado102001.asp

I remember hearing the news reports as a kid when they went down, and how remarkable it was that they survived!

If anyone has the right to suffering I would think these men would be at the top of my list....more like anguish, but they have persevered, and found the good in what had happened.....

Respect and goodnight to all!

Fmr jarhead said:
I would celebrate their lives, and continue on with mine, as I would expect them to do with theirs....

Hey there is a time for mourning, no doubt, but I don't think there is anything but a long dirt nap after this life...time to live, and do the best you can with the short time that is available....

If you care to read about some of the soccer team from the Andes (if this is what you were referring to) check out the following interview:

http://www.viven.com.uy/571/eng/EntCanessa012002.asp

...and Nando is extremely inspiring....

http://www.viven.com.uy/571/eng/EntParrado102001.asp

I remember hearing the news reports as a kid when they went down, and how remarkable it was that they survived!

If anyone has the right to suffering I would think these men would be at the top of my list....more like anguish, but they have persevered, and found the good in what had happened.....

Respect and goodnight to all!

I didn't mean to imply that our entire lives were meant to spend in suffering here nor did I suggest that one should wallow in it. I was merely stating that trying to avoid pain at all costs or being angry at it only prolongs it. Once one accepts pain as a reality we are free to help others with their pain and not be so focused on our own.

manu1959 said:
you keep changing words.....

i have had more peole die around me and in front of me than i could ever wish on any enemy....yet i choose not to greive or foucus on my own suffering as as a reult of what i have experienced....i chose to focus on the warmth of my wife..... smile of my son.....the hug from my daughter.... the light of day and the darkness of night and the time with you all and others that i encounter....i do not care to waste my time suffering

:beer: :clap:

dilloduck said:
I didn't mean to imply that our entire lives were meant to spend in suffering here nor did I suggest that one should wallow in it. I was merely stating that trying to avoid pain at all costs or being angry at it only prolongs it. Once one accepts pain as a reality we are free to help others with their pain and not be so focused on our own.

Isn't that more or less what Manu was saying all along?

Forum List

Back