Sueing manufactorers?

Lakhota's link suggests that if the gun fails, blows up in your hand and you lose an arm, you cannot sue the manufacture for making a defective product, and you cannot sue the dealer if they knowingly sell you the defective gun.

Seriously? o_O

No, if the weapon is defective you can sue. You just can't sue case Joe public used one to commit a crime, unless you can prove the manufacturer illegal sold the weapon to that individual.

How is that a bad thing? :confused:

If a manufacturer or dealer sells guns knowingly to criminals or to someone knowing they will commit a crime with it (which some do), then you should be able to sue. However you shouldn't be able to sue every time a gun is used in a crime.

Lakhota's link suggests that if the gun fails, blows up in your hand and you lose an arm, you cannot sue the manufacture for making a defective product, and you cannot sue the dealer if they knowingly sell you the defective gun.

Seriously? o_O

No, if the weapon is defective you can sue. You just can't sue case Joe public used one to commit a crime, unless you can prove the manufacturer illegal sold the weapon to that individual.

If a manufacturer or dealer sells guns knowingly to criminals or to someone knowing they will commit a crime with it (which some do), then you should be able to sue. However you shouldn't be able to sue every time a gun is used in a crime.

No gun dealers sells guns to people he knows to be criminals. The law doesn't allow that. A gun dealer can't know that someone will commit a crime with a gun he sells them. No one can know what other people are going to do.

Can you sue your 3rd grade English teacher? I mean, your entire thread title is just two words long and you butchered the spelling of both. How is that even possible?

No gun dealers sells guns to people he knows to be criminals. The law doesn't allow that. A gun dealer can't know that someone will commit a crime with a gun he sells them. No one can know what other people are going to do.

According to ATF 80% of all illegal guns come from licensed dealers. I know you all like to think criminals are stealing their guns from john q public or smuggling them from overseas, but the simply truth is they get them the same place you do.

According to ATF 80% of all illegal guns come from licensed dealers. I know you all like to think criminals are stealing their guns from john q public or smuggling them from overseas, but the simply truth is they get them the same place you do.

Sorry, I don't believe that. Post a source or rescind the claim.

Let's be honest. You'd ignore any proof posted anyway.

Let's be honest: you have no proof of any kind.

You are quite the little pussy dictator ain't ya?

frontline: hot guns: "How Criminals Get Guns" | PBS

"The next biggest source of illegal gun transactions where criminals get guns are sales made by legally licensed but corrupt at-home and commercial gun dealers. Several recent reports back up Wachtel's own studies about this, and make the case that illegal activity by those licensed to sell guns, known as Federal Firearms Licensees (FFLs), is a huge source of crime guns and greatly surpasses the sale of guns stolen from John Q. Citizen. Like bank robbers, who are interested in banks, gun traffickers are interested in FFLs because that's where the guns are. This is why FFLs are a large source of illegal guns for traffickers, who ultimately wind up selling the guns on the street.....ATF officials say that only about 8% of the nation's 124,000 retail gun dealers sell the majority of handguns that are used in crimes"

"The next biggest source of illegal gun transactions where criminals get guns are sales made by legally licensed but corrupt at-home and commercial gun dealers. Several recent reports back up Wachtel's own studies about this, and make the case that illegal activity by those licensed to sell guns, known as Federal Firearms Licensees (FFLs), is a huge source of crime guns and greatly surpasses the sale of guns stolen from John Q. Citizen. Like bank robbers, who are interested in banks, gun traffickers are interested in FFLs because that's where the guns are. This is why FFLs are a large source of illegal guns for traffickers, who ultimately wind up selling the guns on the street.....ATF officials say that only about 8% of the nation's 124,000 retail gun dealers sell the majority of handguns that are used in crimes"

This is where he either ignores your link or tries to discredit the source.

Let's be honest: you have no proof of any kind.

It's been posted. Now you can proceed with ignoring it just as I predicted.

Baaaaa says the sheep.

Wow, PBS that's a reliable source.
I am an FFL. Criminals do not get guns from FFLs. I would lose my license if I were to sell to a prohibited person. I would lose my license if I sold on a straw purchase, which the ATF has cracked down on in the last 5 years.
Here is a more realistic look:
Where Do Chicago's Guns Come From? - The 312 - July 2012 - Chicago

Guns are stolen from the legitimate owner and then sold in an underground unregulated economy. That is the truth. Even Adam Lanza's guns were stolen.

Nowhere does your article use the 80% figure. Furthermore, it doesn't claim that these gun dealers are making illegal sales.

Yes I know, all gun dealers are the upmost respectable people in the US. They NEVER sell illegally. :rolleyes:

Oh please. I figured you were smarter than that. Obviously I was wrong.
The margins on guns are miniscule. The risk of losing your license over a $50 profit just isn't worth it. Are there some crooked dealers out there? Sure. Do they account for any significant portion of illegal guns? No. Eric Holder has probably sold more illegal guns than all the dealers in this country combined.

Yes I know, all gun dealers are the upmost respectable people in the US. They NEVER sell illegally. :rolleyes:

The margins on guns are miniscule. The risk of losing your license over a $50 profit just isn't worth it. Are there some crooked dealers out there? Sure. Do they account for any significant portion of illegal guns? No. Eric Holder has probably sold more illegal guns than all the dealers in this country combined.

According to the link I posted, a very small number of dealers are corrupt, only about 8%. However, that 8% accounts for the majority of illegal guns.

Nowhere does your article use the 80% figure. Furthermore, it doesn't claim that these gun dealers are making illegal sales.

You are correct, it says majority, not 80%. My mistake.

According to the link I posted, a very small number of dealers are corrupt, only about 8%. However, that 8% accounts for the majority of illegal guns.

The link you posted was nonsense. The majority of illegal guns were stolen from legitimate sources. That is simply the truth.

Did you read the part of the link that talks about theft from gun dealers? That's in there too.

I dont have to read it. I had 12 guns stolen from me in 2006. There were about 10 recovered. Not one from the people who stole them. In almost every case the person in possession was already prohibited.
Gun laws don't work. Period.

Forum List

Back