Sueing manufactorers?

Disclaimers on labels do not give immunity to manufacturers.
You can disclaim not your negligence without a contract and in many cases the contract will not do it.

Okay, here is another case. If I buy a gun to shoot up my neighborhood. Then, when I have finished shooting everybody, one guy escapes. Can I sue the gun manufacturer with that, that the gun failed in its intended operation when it let that one guy go?

If a drunk driver runs you over with his car, can you sue the car maker? If a crazy person drives his car into a crowd of people killing and maiming can the survivors sue the car manufacturer? If a person knives people can the survivors sue the knife maker? If a man buys fertilizer and makes a bomb and kills can the fertilizer maker be sued?

If someone uses a shovel to beat people to death can the shovel maker be sued? If someone takes a combine and runs people over with it can the Manufacturer be sued? If someone drops jars off a building killing people can the jar maker be sued?

can you be anymore stupid? can i sue the internet for you wasting my time?

Yes! You can sue anyone for anything. That's what makes America great.

In truth gun makers have immunity, thanks to a foreseeing Congress. It was a deal worked out by that supporter of the NRA, Bill Clinton, because states were threatening to sue gunmakers out of existence.

But the guns didn't fail....
The wacko Leftists want criminal/civil charges filed because the guns worked.

No, they did not fail, but were they used correctly?
Was the user trained by the manufacturer to safely store the weapons?
I do not advocate lowering the threshold like the courts have done on the tobacco companies but safety is an issue.
And tobacco is not a Constitutional issue as guns are. Different case law altogether.

Yes, the user was trained by the manufacturer in safe handling of the weapon. It is in the literature provided by the maker.

Okay, here is another case. If I buy a gun to shoot up my neighborhood. Then, when I have finished shooting everybody, one guy escapes. Can I sue the gun manufacturer with that, that the gun failed in its intended operation when it let that one guy go?

"dirty hands" theory. You come into court having numerous felonies so you would lose under that doctrine.

If a drunk driver runs you over with his car, can you sue the car maker? If a crazy person drives his car into a crowd of people killing and maiming can the survivors sue the car manufacturer? If a person knives people can the survivors sue the knife maker? If a man buys fertilizer and makes a bomb and kills can the fertilizer maker be sued?

If someone uses a shovel to beat people to death can the shovel maker be sued? If someone takes a combine and runs people over with it can the Manufacturer be sued? If someone drops jars off a building killing people can the jar maker be sued?

In truth gun makers have immunity, thanks to a foreseeing Congress. It was a deal worked out by that supporter of the NRA, Bill Clinton, because states were threatening to sue gunmakers out of existence.

Yes and no. You can sue but the defendant can file for summary judgement very fast and if there are no merits to the case the judge dismissed it immediately.
Products liability can be the hardest cases to win.

If a drunk driver runs you over with his car, can you sue the car maker?

If the car comes with a built in beer keg cooler.

If a crazy person drives his car into a crowd of people killing and maiming can the survivors sue the car manufacturer?

If the car were designed specifically to run over people, and were promoted as such, as is your AR-15.

If a person knives people can the survivors sue the knife maker? If a man buys fertilizer and makes a bomb and kills can the fertilizer maker be sued?

If the fertilizer comes with bomb making instructions -- gun co. promote the modification of their guns.

If someone uses a shovel to beat people to death can the shovel maker be sued?

If the shovel was marked "strike head here"

If someone takes a combine and runs people over with it can the Manufacturer be sued?

If the combine comes with a people finding radar and special modified flesh cutting blades.

If someone drops jars off a building killing people can the jar maker be sued?

If the jar company sells people targets for practice.

I can do this all day. Got any more.

You can be sued for any reason at all. You can be sued because someone saw bread rising when they looked in your kitchen window and it scared them. You can be sued because you lost a rusty nail and someone ate it. So yes you can be sued. Can they win? That's the question.

"dirty hands" theory. You come into court having numerous felonies so you would lose under that doctrine.

Wow ... I didn't know you can lose like that ... and then I will still have to pay court costs?
:omg:

Yes and no. You can sue but the defendant can file for summary judgement very fast and if there are no merits to the case the judge dismissed it immediately.

What is a "summary judgement"?

You can be sued for any reason at all. You can be sued because someone saw bread rising when they looked in your kitchen window and it scared them. You can be sued because you lost a rusty nail and someone ate it. So yes you can be sued. Can they win? That's the question.

And who pays the court costs? If not always the loser pays, then this system is invented to kill off business competitors with meritless law suits.

How does this make the country great? It makes the country crap. Any bully can run you out of your money by filing baseless law suits against you. I am amazed.

Don't you ever get tired of embarrassing the Corps by posting horseshit like this?

What is a "summary judgement"?
That is where they judge against you summarily.

Products liability has over 200 years of sound case law in America.
Companies still manufacture defective products today that kill and maim.
And they offer zero compensation to their victims.
What else does a citizen do other than file suit?

But everyone KNOWS that corporations would self regulate themselves properly and we would have no issues with their products being defective if they just got exemptions from being sued.

Gun manufacturers can be sued for defective weapons. They just can't be sued cause someone used one of their weapons to commit a crime.

Lakhota's link suggests that if the gun fails, blows up in your hand and you lose an arm, you cannot sue the manufacture for making a defective product, and you cannot sue the dealer if they knowingly sell you the defective gun.

Seriously? o_O

No, if the weapon is defective you can sue. You just can't sue case Joe public used one to commit a crime, unless you can prove the manufacturer illegal sold the weapon to that individual.

Forum List

Back