Sueing manufactorers?

If a drunk driver runs you over with his car, can you sue the car maker? If a crazy person drives his car into a crowd of people killing and maiming can the survivors sue the car manufacturer? If a person knives people can the survivors sue the knife maker? If a man buys fertilizer and makes a bomb and kills can the fertilizer maker be sued?

If someone uses a shovel to beat people to death can the shovel maker be sued? If someone takes a combine and runs people over with it can the Manufacturer be sued? If someone drops jars off a building killing people can the jar maker be sued?

can you be anymore stupid? can i sue the internet for you wasting my time?

Faced with an increasing number of successful lawsuits over reckless business practices that funneled guns into the hands of criminals, the 2005 immunity law was a victory for the NRA, which "lobbied lawmakers intensely" to shield gun makers and dealers from personal injury law.

More: Why Isn't The Media Discussing The Unprecedented Law Giving Gun Makers And Dealers Immunity? | Blog | Media Matters for America

Because it's stupid and it makes no sense.....
The manufacturer makes a gun to fire bullets.
AS long as the gun fires and doesn't malfunction their job is done.

What happens after that is not their responsibility if they sold it to a licensed dealer.

If you are going after the gun makers then you need to go after the people who made the ammo.
Then you need to go after the people who paved the roads, maintained the street lights,provided electricity,made the donuts and coffee,provided the gasoline.

All the people whom made it possible for the guns and ammo to be made,who were involved in the transportation of these weapons....

And I can't believe I am even responding to this insanity....

Products liability has over 200 years of sound case law in America.
Companies still manufacture defective products today that kill and maim.
And they offer zero compensation to their victims.
What else does a citizen do other than file suit?

But everyone KNOWS that corporations would self regulate themselves properly and we would have no issues with their products being defective if they just got exemptions from being sued.

There is sound case law with medical devices that if the user of the medical device, the doctor, is not properly trained in the correct operational procedure by the manufacturer or a trained professional using training manuals or other training materials the manufacturer can be held liable for products liability damages.

Let's pretend that the OP was not Trying to ONCE AGAIN make a correlation between guns and everything else in the world that isn't exclusively designed to kill people.

I once worked for a manufacturer of cutting tools. We were sued many times by users who put their finger or hand in the path of the cutting tool and cut themselves.

So the answer is yes. You can be sued.

Feel better?

Just another reason the loser should pay the winners attorneys fees for frivolous lawsuits.

Why not spin the wheel and hope for a settlement if there is no downside for losing.

It hardly matters what the subject is.....nutters will fall over themselves trying to push generalities and define reality with stereotypes.

Sometimes lawsuits are not frivolous. We lost some of those cases.

Did you read my post?

Here it is, since you missed it the first time.

"Just another reason the loser should pay the winners attorneys fees for frivolous lawsuits."

^^^See that part?

I highlighted it just for you.

So you couldn't possibly miss it this time.

The bolded part that you missed last time.

The part where it says "for frivolous lawsuits".

So you see, I'm not talking about the lawsuits that are NOT frivolous.

Last edited:

But everyone KNOWS that corporations would self regulate themselves properly and we would have no issues with their products being defective if they just got exemptions from being sued.

Like the doctors?
They are the only profession in America that can kill someone with their negligence and in some states the life is worth is 250K max in many instances.
There are no laws on the books in America that allows any corporation to self regulate themselves with immunity from defective products.

Just another reason the loser should pay the winners attorneys fees for frivolous lawsuits.

Why not spin the wheel and hope for a settlement if there is no downside for losing.

It hardly matters what the subject is.....nutters will fall over themselves trying to push generalities and define reality with stereotypes.

Sometimes lawsuits are not frivolous. We lost some of those cases.

Did you read my post?

Here it is, since you missed it the first time.

"Just another reason the loser should pay the winners attorneys fees for frivolous lawsuits."

^^^See that part?

I highlighted it just for you.

So you couldn't possibly miss it this time.

The bolded part that you missed last time.

The part where it says "for frivolous lawsuits".

So you see, I'm not talking about the lawsuits that are NOT frivolous.

Get off tht high horse, cowboy. I know what you were saying. It is clear.

But the guns didn't fail....
The wacko Leftists want criminal/civil charges filed because the guns worked.

No, they did not fail, but were they used correctly?
Was the user trained by the manufacturer to safely store the weapons?
I do not advocate lowering the threshold like the courts have done on the tobacco companies but safety is an issue.
And tobacco is not a Constitutional issue as guns are. Different case law altogether.

Like the doctors?
They are the only profession in America that can kill someone with their negligence and in some states the life is worth is 250K max in many instances.
There are no laws on the books in America that allows any corporation to self regulate themselves with immunity from defective products.

gun makers and some airlines/airplanes in FL are 2 that I know of.

Brilliant!

The undefeatable logic of the standard nutter on display!
Then defeat the logic......

ah....you can, right?

Tell Me, when you make something, and sell it.......if it is misused a year later and someone dies, shall we come after you and put you in jail?

You can defend against that.........................right?

typical failure to think critically.....

BTW....I won't bother to correct your spelling...

Let's pretend that the OP was not Trying to ONCE AGAIN make a correlation between guns and everything else in the world that isn't exclusively designed to kill people.

I once worked for a manufacturer of cutting tools. We were sued many times by users who put their finger or hand in the path of the cutting tool and cut themselves.

Feel better?

But, wouldn't it be a usage against the instructions, so the disclaimer on the label would guarantee immunity?

The real problem for gun manufacturers and the bonanza for plaintiff lawyers is that there are very few industry standards in the gun industry and the ones they do have are very weak.
Remington settled a case in the mid 90s for 35 million with numerous plaintiffs because the industry experts sided against them.
Another defective Remington is the 700 Bolt Action Rifle, 4 million on the market.
Gun manufacturers HAVE BEEN HELD ACCOUNTABLE in the courts and since the 1940s there have been many large settlements and verdicts.
Surprisingly, the top plaintiff firms for defective guns are in Texas.

Like the doctors?

gun makers and some airlines/airplanes in FL are 2 that I know of.

No, not gun makers. They have no immunity for defective guns sold.
Remington has been sued and lost many times over the years for many rifles.
Same with all other gun manufacturers.
Airlines are not manufacturers.
Airplanes are made by corporations such as Boeing and they have no immunity for their negligence.
Only doctors.

Then defeat the logic......

ah....you can, right?

Tell Me, when you make something, and sell it.......if it is misused a year later and someone dies, shall we come after you and put you in jail?

You can defend against that.........................right?

typical failure to think critically.....

BTW....I won't bother to correct your spelling...

Feel better?

But, wouldn't it be a usage against the instructions, so the disclaimer on the label would guarantee immunity?

Not necessarily.

Stephen Drinnon in Dallas Texas is the top plaintiffs lawyer in America specializing in representing victims of defective guns.
His verdicts and settlements are easy to find.
Exhibit A that gun manufacturers have NO immunity from products liability.

Forum List

Back