Suddenly there are talks of another stimulus. Wonder why? Look inside...

There are no easy fixes right now and thinking that there are is a big mistake.

Like when people say if we cut spending everything will be fixed? I know you're not saying that, but you see those statements everywhere, despite the fact that spending right now is not the problem, and if we cut spending, we lay people off and unemployment goes up and that's not what we need.

What we need, is to put millions of people to work. I think borrowing $1T from China and upgrading our infrastructure (for real this time) while maybe throwing in some high speed rail projects, would be exactly what we need to get jobs growing again. Plus, if you spend the money on rail or maybe green energy, then those projects need workers to run and maintain them after they're built, so there are long lasting job implications.

We've spent billions of "infrastructure" and gotten bridges to nowhere and rail stations no one uses. Why will it be different this time?
High speed rail is an economic loser, and has been everywhere in this country, with the exception of Boston-DC.
Green energy is anotehr gov't boondoggle. Spain found out the hard way.

What business is it of yours?

Lets just say you lived in a neighboirhhod where the average net worth is 100K.
You build a business and after 40 years of hard work you sell it for 3 Million so you can enjoy your retirement.

Now what?
Look up Economies of Scale. When 2 people have $80B they can crush your little $3M company in an instant. That's the problem. That's why these massively wealthy people and massively wealthy corporations are so dangerous. They can squash competition in an instant.

You build a business and after 40 years of hard work you sell it for 3 Million so you can enjoy your retirement.

Now what?
Look up Economies of Scale. When 2 people have $80B they can crush your little $3M company in an instant. That's the problem. That's why these massively wealthy people and massively wealthy corporations are so dangerous. They can squash competition in an instant.

That's why IBM and Microsoft have no competition, right?

Are you actually this stupid or are you just a plant to discredit the Left?

The first stimulus produced 9%+ unemployment and GDP growth of well under 2% with rising commodity prices.
This morning I sneezed and then an hour later the sun came up. Clearly my sneezing caused the sun to rise.

Just because two things happen doesn't mean one caused the other.

Now what?

I suggest you learn about economics before debating me about economics.

Refer to the benefits of an oligopoly to the small business before you spew crap you know nothing about.

What you just said is typical rhetoric that is spoken so people that are naive believe it and regurgitate it just as you did.

Now what?

Are you actually this stupid or are you just a plant to discredit the Left?

To the naive it seems valid.

But to those that understand economics.....it is ludicrous.

Oligopolies work exactly as they are supposed to work.

And when an anchor gets greedy? They usually die.

Oh bullshit.

What "inflates" prices are factors like multinational conglomerates (Defacto Monopolies)..and executive compensation. This, by the way, squashes competition.

The gulf between rich and poor in this country is starting the resemble the 1920s. Unions have basically been smashed. They have very little effect on the economy.

No, you're wrong...

If remedial labor was 15 dollars an hour then milk would be 5.00 a gallon.

If remedial labor was 7.50 an hour milk would be 2.50 a gallon.

If remedial labor was 3.75 an hour milk would be 1.25 a gallon.

Problem is unions demand 30 bucks an hour for remedial labor, while non-union workers will do it for 15-20 (even less)...

This is supposed to be a competition based market, yet progressives like Obama opt for the more expensive union labor - what the fuck do you think that does to the economy??

We got 2 people in this country with a combined wealth of 80 billion dollars. That's 2 people.

And that's insane.

So fucking what.....

Under the capitalist model wealth is NOT finite....

You buy a product for 1.00 sell it for 1.25 and you just created .25 cents of wealth...

Its not like there is 80 trillion dollars sitting around and thats it......

Hell, you get up and go to work - make a couple hundred bucks.... Guess what??? you just grew this economy by a couple hundred bucks...

You pretty much manifested money out of thin air.... You created a product or did a service that someone will profit off of...

Are you honestly suggesting that anyone could start up a little $3M company and compete against IBM?

You truly are making a fool of yourself.

Becuase of the IBM's....smaller start ups are able to succeeed.

Why would a 3million dollar comapny want to compete with IBM?

Well, it's what my degree is and what I kind of do every day, but ok, whatever.

Refer to the benefits of an oligopoly to the small business before you spew crap you know nothing about.

An oligopoly is a market or industry that is dominated by only a few major players. How does that benefit small businesses trying to break in and get a share of the market?

Listen up Dontbestupid...

Dont be stupid!

Study economics...dont just listen to what the talking heads say.

A smart business plan for a start up is NOT to compete with the larger companies...but to have them compliment you....and visa versa.

study economics...then join this debate.

You are clearly out of your league.

An oligopoly is a market or industry that is dominated by only a few major players. How does that benefit small businesses trying to break in and get a share of the market?

Sorry...I dont believe you have studies economics.

If you had, you would know more about oligopolies than the basic definition.

Dominated by a few major players?

No.

An oligopoly HAS a few major players and many smaller players riding the wave created by the major players.

Oligopolies, such as the computer industry have created thousands upon thousands of business opporutnities for people and millions of jobs.

Sorry pal.....you seem to be clueless about what you arew talking about. I think it best you back down now.

Now REAL economist would talk negatively about an oligopoly in a purely competative capitalistsic economy such as ours.

If there is another stimulus package..I hope republicans don't touch it.

It should go to infrastructure repair, upgrading the energy sector and building high speed rail. Not tax cuts.

That is the only way to directly create jobs and put money into the economy. And the taxpayers actually get something out of the borrowed money. Tax cuts and direct stimulus payments don't help much. We saw it under Bush with his $600 or whatever amount it was direct stimulus, and we saw it with the last stimulus. While I agree that it did save some jobs, I'm not sure it was 2 to 3 million as some like to state. The biggest problem with it is that the money didn't create any real growth.

There is a way to create jobs, simulate the economy and have a lasting benefit to our country.

It starts with everyone pulling together to achieve that end. That of course is the hardest part.

It begins by planning, setting in motion a belief once held that our country can do anything it sets its collective mind to do.

The most recent example was when JFK set the goal to put a man on the moon:

" We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

We need to cut where we can and where we do not exacerbate our unemployment problems; we need to get the private sector to hire and train the unemployed and those graduates who are seeking their first jobs. And we need to do so by the hundreds of thousands, not a few here and a few there.

There are two ways, or rather two venues where this can be planned. Home or away. Away generally requires war, home does not. WW II solved many economic problems, and few opposed our expenses after December 7, 1941. But the costs in blood were great, even today those lost in the war are still remembered and still grieved by surviving spouses and siblings and children and veterans.

The plan should benefit the many alive today and those yet to be born. It should make our country safer, more efficient and better able to respond to the many changes a global economy forces upon us. And it should ignite the American spirit.

It will not begin with naysayers or those too timid to take risks; it will not be born of lofty words and speeches or partisan propaganda, or by ideology or talking heads on the TV or radio. It must come from the people demanding the plan, one devoid of graft and self interest, one where Country First is not a slogan but a mission statement and a vision.

Last edited:

Interesting...

Economics major yet you had to go to google to get the definition of an oligopoly:

Not sure where the link takes us...
but here is where you got it:

Game Theory - FOCUS Adventure Pte Ltd An oligopoly is a market or industry that is dominated by a few firms. More often than not, the price strategies of these firms are heavily influenced by ...
www.focusadventure.com/articles_gameTheory.asp - Cached- Block all www.focusadventure.com results

I find that quite interesting.

Last edited:
Lets re-cap the conversation.

We got 2 people in this country with a combined wealth of 80 billion dollars. That's 2 people.

When 2 people have $80B they can crush your little $3M company in an instant.

A smart business plan for a start up is NOT to compete with the larger companies

And there we go. My point was that there would be less competition when 2 people dominate, and you said that new companies shouldn't even attempt to compete!

So, since you agree there would be less competition, and you actually want less competition, how does less competition help us as a country?

Lets re-cap the conversation.

When 2 people have $80B they can crush your little $3M company in an instant.

A smart business plan for a start up is NOT to compete with the larger companies

And there we go. My point was that there would be less competition when 2 people dominate, and you said that new companies shouldn't even attempt to compete!

So, since you agree there would be less competition, and you actually want less competition, how does less competition help us as a country?

You dont get it.

When I say "dont compete" what I mean is "go for a different demographic"....create a differential....

Home depot. lowes and Ace.....yet hardware stores still exist

Shop and stop, waldbaums and Shoprite...yet small grocery stores still exist

For someone who pracitces economics.....I dont understand why you are so naive.

How do you not know about pure competition and how it works?

Forum List

Back