Sudan Keeps Death Moving-UN Stays Static

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Truth is the UN seems incapable of doing anything other than condemning Israel, the US, and pocketing kickbacks.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=721&e=1&u=/nm/20040721/wl_nm/sudan_darfur_un_dc_1

Excerpt:

Sudan Militia Still Attack, UN Sanctions Unlikely

Wed Jul 21, 2:52 PM ET
By Evelyn Leopold

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - Secretary-General Kofi Annan (news - web sites) said on Wednesday Sudan had made little progress in curbing marauding militias in the Darfur region but diplomats said sanctions against Khartoum were unlikely.

Annan spoke as his special representative in Khartoum, Dutchman Jan Pronk, briefed the 15-member Security Council on reports that Arab militia, called Janjaweed, were continuing to terrorize African villagers in Sudan's west.

The 15-month conflict has killed at least 30,000 people, forced villagers into concentration-camp type compounds and left 2 million people without enough food and medicine.

"There have been encouraging steps on the humanitarian front," Annan said at a news conference. "But there has been little progress on human rights and I regret to say there are continuing reports of attacks by the Janjaweed militia."

JIHADTHIS said:
Further proof of why the US needs to get out of the UN and the UN needs to be kicked out off the US!

F**K Kofi! :blowup:

TG! Sometimes I feel like the only one who's is noticing the assinine behavior of the 'international body' that freakin' Kerry wants to bow down to!

On another thread one of his 'supporters', I think deci? acknowledged all the military funding he's voted against, but in support of increasing US funding of the UN by 800%! :bsflag:

The UN is impotent! If something is going to be done in the Sudan, guess who will be called:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ideas_opinions/story/214383p-184595c.html

Excerpt:

We know that unless Britain goes in to stop what human rights organizations say could result in the deaths of a million people, certainly nothing can be expected of Europe. Europe may have provided some of the world's greatest humanitarian ideas but lately it has not acted as if it knows that. Europe initiated nothing in Bosnia, Kosovo or Rwanda. Near or far, genocide meant nothing when it came to paying the ultimate price for belief, which is blood. Too expensive. Let somebody else do it. Who? You know who - those cowboy Americans. We'll talk. They'll act.

But this crisis arrives at a very bad time. America probably would not support another war now. It might have to be convinced. That is how a democracy works.

The convincing could easily come through our media. There is plenty of proof that the crimes are backed by the Sudanese government, which claims to have hands as clean as Pontius Pilate's. No sanctions are coming from the UN, which means that if anything is to be done, the U.S. and Britain probably will have to do it.

To the good, Congressman Charles Rangel is one of the leading voices in opposition to continued Sudanese abuse. There are also elected white Southerners who are repulsed. We might just get the job done as the result of one of those all-American crossings of the ethnic lines in the interest of humanity. That is far from impossible. This is still America.

It's not as though Bush didn't warn em tho. The UNs foot dragging and corrupt methods of NOT dealing with Iraq has made them irrelevent. I say it's time to at least get thier asses out of our country so they can play RISK somewhere else. Our new allies will make themselves known and the play will go on.

It seems to me that Annan has been very outspoken about the situation in Sudan. The UN is only powerful when there's enough nations supporting whatever cause the UN is pursuing. Kofi Annan is not the king of the world.

How come Bush hasn't moved US troops in unilaterally? This is a humanitarian crisis and thousands are dying. It seems to me a military move in Sudan would be helpful for Bush because he used unilateral military action in Iraq to respond to a less dire humanitarian crisis. Are you upset that Bush has only pursued diplomacy in the face of such human tragedy?

TheOne said:
It seems to me that Annan has been very outspoken about the situation in Sudan. The UN is only powerful when there's enough nations supporting whatever cause the UN is pursuing. Kofi Annan is not the king of the world.

How come Bush hasn't moved US troops in unilaterally? This is a humanitarian crisis and thousands are dying. It seems to me a military move in Sudan would be helpful for Bush because he used unilateral military action in Iraq to respond to a less dire humanitarian crisis. Are you upset that Bush has only pursued diplomacy in the face of such human tragedy?

:lame2:My dear, do you have trouble reading? I believe there are three links above to help you out.

Kathianne said:
TG! Sometimes I feel like the only one who's is noticing the assinine behavior of the 'international body' that freakin' Kerry wants to bow down to!

On another thread one of his 'supporters', I think deci? acknowledged all the military funding he's voted against, but in support of increasing US funding of the UN by 800%! :bsflag:

Kerry doesn't want to fund OUR military, but he is willing to fund the UN's. And those on the left say that the dems aren't out for world dominance..... geeze!

TheOne said:

So the LLL, the EU and the rest of the world who cries "let's take it to the UN" or "you need UN legitamicy" in order to deal with any world crisis aren't really behind the UN?

OK, I can see Bush telling the world right now that he is going into Sudan unilaterally.....
I can also see the LLL/EU/rest of the world going into an absolute mental meltdown the minute GWB says "military into a foreign country"

:tank:

Jihad - not to mention, our military is spread pretty thin right now.

I concurr the UN has got to go. They have not solved a problem in my recent memory.

I feel for those caught in the middle in Sudan. I do not have an answer - other than there are other nations in the world that could step up and help if they could break free of their bondage of the UN and the EU and think for themselves.

TheOne said:

Ask the French why they are blocking efforts to help. Let me know what answer you get.

dilloduck said:
Ask the French why they are blocking efforts to help. Let me know what answer you get.

Exactly. Why is the "One" wanting GW to do something? Sheesh, when he acts = bad, when he doesn't act = bad. Anything GW does = bad. Shut up and come up with some good suggestions, like intervention from Europe. You know, I am willing to bet "the one" that when get gets in his liberal group sing alongs, that he argues that the US should not be the world's police. Come on "the one," admit it you know I am right!

r2200t said:
What we know: the population displacements have been going on since 15 months. i guess nobody cared for them until now... why now? or do we really care about the people? or is it the oil? is this why Annan is chickening out?

Cheers ;)

If anything had been done earlier, there would be no opportunity for the UN to set up another "oil-for-food" program.

They have been building all the facilities over the last 15 months. Now that they are ready, the small guys have to step aside while the French, US?, and others vie for position.

Forum List

Back