Such a Surprise

Discussion in 'Politics' started by RetiredGySgt, Sep 12, 2007.

1. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,001
  2. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    Since the white house - IMHO - leaked the content days before the General even spoke, his testimony was hardly surprising at all.

3. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    I keep hearing folks say the white house leaked the report days before the general testified. can anyone provide a link to the leak?

4. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    I have a meeting in a little while that I need to grab some stuff for, so I don't have a lot of time to dig around...but this one popped right up.... more than a month ago...and right from the mouth of Rush "OXYmoron" Limbaugh. Line seven opening paragraph.... now surely, the great Rushbo wouldn't make that stuff up now, would he?

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_081707/content/01125117.guest.html

5. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,001
    Yes lets use your source. He also states that the report is required to be provided to Congress by "GASP" the President. Not the general and not the Ambassador. Yet what have the very people that wrote this law said? "GASP" that the President had the audacity to do what they ordered him to do.

6. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    I have not heard that spin... I think that everyone knew that the president would release a written version of Petraeus' testimony.... the issue is that he released bits of it piecemeal in an attempt to manage the news.... and here you are complaining about the democrats using the same tactic.

7. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,001
    No I am complaining that they are making false accusations and smear tactics and your pretending they are not. Saying " with all due respect" does not somehow change a charge of lying to not such a charge.

If some one tells you they do not believe you, using the previous leftoid posted "definition" of a lie, "any falsehood no matter intent" then it is calling someone a liar. And in this case it is plain the Congressman and the senators do in fact mean the General LIED to them on orders from the President, or you can assume they are calling him incompetent. Your pick. Either he is lying or mistaken, so either he is a liar or an incompetent boob according to the Democrats. Which do you think he is Maineman?

8. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,001
    You haven't heard any democrat calim the President wrote the report and then ordered the general to not only deliver it but to put his name on it and say what ever the President wants him to say? ( ohh and last time I checked if someone orders you to tell something you do not believe, that qualifies as Lying).

9. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572

no...I haven't heard that...but that is not to say that there were not democrats who said it. And in regards to your last point.... I believe that presidents can tell their generals what to say and what tone to take when testifying before congress....and as long as the things they are told to say are not factually incorrect, then it is not "lying" but following a legal order.

Deliberately falsifying casualty figures, would be lying. Suggesting that things are going well and predicting that things will get better are opinions...and if the president asks a flag officer to take a certain tone and to express a certain opinion, they salute and do so.... or they resign.

10. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,001
    Absolute bullshit. So tell me Captain, when were you ever "ordered" to provide an estimate you did not believe? You just called this General a political hack, which he is not. I do not know which is worse, suggesting the General is a liar or a weak willed political hack. Both are insults.