Subtle Homophobia

I feel sorry for ex-priests that despise an entire class of strangers--other human beings. No wonder you were bounced out of the priesthood, Yukon.

But then again, stereotypes exist for a reason.

What I see is somebody who has a bad human barometer, who is attracted to people who are assholes and has no depth of perception.

In addition, somebody who is a hypocrite going all "spiritual" on us continually with her juvenile Buddhist tripe while refusing to acknowledge or respond to the fact that Buddhists really don't have much truck with homosexuality.

So is she a closet lesbian, or a closet Buddhist, both, or just a lesbian who likes to pretend she's a Buddhist?

Or maybe a 13 year old who likes to pretend she's an adult lesbian Buddhist?

Buddhists in my tradition have no problem with homosexuals and lesbians. My partner and I were married at Rigdzin Ling this summer by my Lama. Buddhists apply the same standards of sexual morality to gays and lesbians as they do to heterosexuals.
No adultery. Fidelity in a relationship or end the relationship if it's not working. I don't pretend to be an adult lesbian who practices Buddhism. It's what I am.

I live an openly lesbian life. I have been with my partner for 24 years. We met at a Buddhist retreat. We first married ourselves. Then we had a ceremony by a Vipassana meditation teacher named Ruth Denison who gave us our vows--and included Buddhist vows with them. That was a long time ago. 24 years is a long time to share life experiences together. We have weathered sickness, and aging, the losses of my partners brother, and father. The loss of my mother. Sickenesses, the loss of many dear men friends to AIDS. We have walked life together. My partner is my best friend, we are still deeply in love with each other. We have co-parented, and we have been loving aunts and mentors to numerous children.

When the law allowed us to legally marry--last year--we did so. I am still married in my state, and my entire Buddhist community supports our relationship. One of my dear friends who spoke at our wedding party this summer said that he is inspired by the love my partner and I have for each other, and that's what he wants in a relationship with a woman. I live an openly lesbian life because my life is political. I am a social justice advocate fighting for marriage equality civil rights and the rights for gays and lesbians to serve openly in the military.

You are right about one thing. I spend too much time responding to some posters here who are assholes with no depth of perception. That happens because I am working on recovering from a crime--that occurred in my recent past. I'm working through trauma bonding. You are correct, I spend too much time responding to hate filled posts. You are absolutely right, I wear my vulnerability on my sleeve.

I have not stated that you are in that category. I think it's interesting that rather than address the topic, you choose to personalize your post to me. What's up with that?

If you want to google Chagdud Gonpa/Rigdzin Ling you will see the spiritual community that I am a member of. You are welcome to call them and ask them how our tradition views gays and lesbians in our sangha.

Last edited:
"Homosexuality and other alternative forms of sexuality are often seen as karmic punishments for heterosexual misconduct in a past life. Thus far, the gay rights movement has not had great success in Theravada Buddhist countries....

"In a 1997 interview, the Dalai Lama (the leader of Tibetan Buddhism and a widely-respected spiritual figure) was asked about homosexuality. He did not offer any strong answer either way, but noted that all monks are expected to refrain from sex. For laypeople, he commented that the purpose of sex in general is for procreation, so homosexual acts do seem a bit unnatural. He said that sexual desires in themselves are natural, perhaps including homosexual desires, but that one should not try to increase those desires or indulge them without self-control. [4]

In a 1993 talk given in Seattle, the Dalai Lama said:

nature arranged male and female organs "in such a manner that is very suitable... Same-sex organs cannot manage well." But he stopped short of condemning homosexual relationships altogether, saying if two people agree to enter a relationship that is not sexually abusive, "then I don't know. It's difficult to say." [5]

The Dalai Lama was more specific in a meeting with Buddhist leaders and human rights activists in San Francisco in 1997, where he commented that all forms of sex other than penile-vaginal sex are prohibited for Buddhists, whether between heterosexuals or homosexuals. At a press conference the day before the meeting, he said, "From a Buddhist point of view, [gay sex] is generally considered sexual misconduct." But he did note that this rule is for Buddhists, and from society's viewpoint, homosexual relationships can be "of mutual benefit, enjoyable, and harmless." [6]
Homosexuality and Buddhism - ReligionFacts

I single you out Sky because I find your pendantic posturing, ridiculously exaggerated spirituality, and complete lack of humor tiresome.

Their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their
own body the due penalty of their error.
(AIDS) Romans 1:25-28

Not sure what point you're making there, Yukon. I'm a Christian but I've never tried to reconcile Christianity with homosexuality. I can point out multiple references to why it's considered wrong using the Bible.

My "point" is quite simple. Homosexuality is an abomination and homosexuals will suffer the everlasting, burning, fires of hell. God has warned them and He has even sent a disease to them in the form of AIDS yet the homosexuals still practice their evil disgusting perverted acts. God will judge them and He will judge harshly. Our POPE too has issued an edict against homosexuals.

Praise Jesus !

Forum List

Back