Substitute Cheese

Nienna

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2005
Ohio
Help!

I'm making white cheddar scalloped potatoes with chunks of ham cooked in for dinner. Couldn't find white cheddar. Is Monterey Jack an appropriate substitute, or should I just use mozzarella? Shattered? Mr.P? Anyone?

mom4 said:
Help!

I'm making white cheddar scalloped potatoes with chunks of ham cooked in for dinner. Couldn't find white cheddar. Is Monterey Jack an appropriate substitute, or should I just use mozzarella? Shattered? Mr.P? Anyone?

Mozz and ham is always a good combination.

But with the potatoes...I might go with the jack...

If you don't care about the color, use yellow cheddar. Otherwise provolone is a white cheese with similar texture and salinity.

Nuc said:
If you don't care about the color, use yellow cheddar. Otherwise provolone is a white cheese with similar texture and salinity.
Ah. Provolone.
Wish you had been at the grocery with me!

When I make mac and cheese or au gratin potatoes I just grate the scraps and ends of whatever cheese is laying around. Once it melts and gets browned they all taste good. It's a good way of using up slightly stale cheese.

mom4 said:
Help!

ya wanted Mr.P's or shattered's advice...so I can only give some Italian advice....prov and mozz are way to non discript in taste and the ham will over-power....so go with cheddar...does it really matter of the color? Taste vs presentation! If so ya are lost girl....what can I say!

mom4 said:
Good idea.

I like your sig, BTW. HAM tonight! :D

Actually I stopped eating meat about a month ago, but when these fools go on these absurd rampages it just makes me want to munch some bacon or ham.

mom4 said:
Help!

Either will work Mom..sorry I didn't see this thread until just now.
I think between the two, I'd go with the mozzarella for a sub. .

GotZoom said:
I love cheese. All kinds.

When I'm in the kitchen cooking, I'm always the first one to cut the cheese.

:mm:

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Personally, I'd have done with a mix of provolone, and baby swiss.. Swiss for the stronger flavor, and provolone for the texture... But, I wasn't here to chime in, so...

Years ago almost every meat counter also sold this Extra-sharp white cheddar that came in a large wheel that they would slice wedges off for you. That stuff made the most fantastic homemade Mac and Cheese. I haven't seen any for years though. Cracker Barrel Extra-sharp is pretty close in flavor but CB doesn't cook as well.

MissileMan said:
Years ago almost every meat counter also sold this Extra-sharp white cheddar that came in a large wheel that they would slice wedges off for you. That stuff made the most fantastic homemade Mac and Cheese. I haven't seen any for years though. Cracker Barrel Extra-sharp is pretty close in flavor but CB doesn't cook as well.
I used to buy a white Lorraine (sp) cheese that I loved. Then it comes up yellow and I can’t find white anymore.

I discovered through my father-in-law who used to be an FDA creamery inspector, all cheese is white to start with, the yellow is a dye/color added. To me it changes the taste. I don't like the yellow near as much.

EDIT: FDA shoulda been USDA.

I used the Jack, and I thought it turned out a bit too salty. Not inedible, but still, too salty. My husband liked it. Of course, he really salts his food. I'll try reg cheddar next time.

Abbey Normal said:
Mom, does your supermarket not sell shredded white cheddar in packages?
I couldn't find it. Maybe I just didn't see it, or maybe they were out of stock. But I couldn't find it.

Forum List

Back