Subsidizing medical school

uscitizen

May 6, 2007
My Shack
The govt should subsidize medical school costs based on your GPA. the higher the gpa the less you pay.
This would remove the very large student loan debts that most DR's graduate with and make their higher salaries unnecessary.
It would also allow more to pursure medicine as a career thus promoting competition in the medical field.

Lets turn medicine back in into what it should be and not an assembly line procedure where the average patient to customer time is 12-15 minutes.

Last edited:
Pell grants aplenty for all I say.

You never know who will deside to be a dr or nurse.

The best hope of competing with the international market is for us to be an educated society.

Until I got to college I hated school and felt like I learned next to nothing in school.

College was a whole new ballgame and I loved nearly every second of it and learned a shitload.

Just hang on. All the doctors will be working for the government pretty shortly - most likely, someone will tell you in high school that you're going to become a doctor or a common laborer, etc. We will all belong to the government after tomorrow.

Where do you propose getting the money....Santa Claus, perhaps?

The military?

the money spent in Iraq would have educated how many DR's?
Good grief, Charlie Brown!...Not that lame-assed yammering point, yet again!

1) The money for Iraq was primarily borrowed from the Chinese...Are you supporting the continuance of that stupid policy?

2) Your dimwitted manchild president has done next to nothing to get us the hell out of Iraq.

failboat-abandoned.jpg

The govt should subsidize medical school costs based on your GPA. the higher the gpa the less you pay.
This would remove the very large student loan debts that most DR's graduate with and make their higher salaries unnecessary.
It would also allow more to pursure medicine as a career thus promoting competition in the medical field.

Lets turn medicine back in into what it should be and not an assembly line procedure where the average patient to customer time is 12-15 minutes.

Good idea except the AMA might feel differently about it.

1.) Few medical schools use a GPA system anymore. Most of them are Pass/Fail and the results have been better.

2.) GPA is only relevant for the first two years of medical school when you are in basic science classes.

3.) GPA is generally not deemed a terribly important predictor of competence. Board scores are more important and rotation evaluations are the most important.

4.) The numbers of Drs. is not determined by demand. 50% of applicants don't get into a medical school. It is controlled by the ACGME which controls residency numbers and fixes them at a finite value for good reasons. Before a residency can be established the proper teaching infrastructure has to be in place.

5.) I don't correlate a need for physician salary to graduate school debt. I correlate it to fair payment for highly skilled labor. That's how it should be.

Physician salaries are not the problem with health care. The urban legend of Physicians cruising around in Ferraris is largely that. The vast majority of doctors are in primary care and make respectable, but not outrageous, salaries.

Where do you propose getting the money....Santa Claus, perhaps?

The military?

People can go to medical school on the military dime already. Then they just have to serve a certain amount of time. No further subsidies needed.

No medical student should feel they have to serve in the military to pay for their school. It's a loose/loose. The military gets unmotivated Drs. who are essentially indentured servants, and physicans have to sacrifice their desire to go into the specialities and fields they want since everything in the military is "needs of the Army" and a competent medical student with outstanding scores can be forced into primary care when they would have been competitive for ortho surgery or some other high demand field in the outside market.

As someone who did ROTC for college, served four years as an infantry officer to include a stint in Afghanistan before going to med school, and gladly is not doing HPSP for medical school, I find this statement as silly.

After all, aren't we always saying: "don't go into the military for money, you'll never be happy?"

BTW, the amount of time spent in the military is significant. It's generally 1 year of AD time for each year of Medical School paid for. However, your clock doesn't start until after you complete residency (which you will most likely be in uniform for as well) so you looking at a minimum of 7 years.

Last edited:
The military?

People can go to medical school on the military dime already. Then they just have to serve a certain amount of time. No further subsidies needed.

No medical student should feel they have to serve in the military to pay for their school. It's a loose/loose. The military gets unmotivated Drs. who are essentially indentured servants, and physicans have to sacrifice their desire to go into the specialities and fields they want since everything in the military is "needs of the Army" and a competent medical student with outstanding scores can be forced into primary care when they would have been competitive for ortho surgery or some other high demand field in the outside market.

As someone who did ROTC for college, served four years as an infantry officer to include a stint in Afghanistan before going to med school, and gladly is not doing HPSP for medical school, I find this statement as silly.

After all, aren't we always saying: "don't go into the military for money, you'll never be happy?"

BTW, the amount of time spent in the military is significant. It's generally 1 year of AD time for each year of Medical School paid for. However, your clock doesn't start until after you complete residency (which you will most likely be in uniform for as well) so you looking at a minimum of 7 years.

Yet those "unmotivated Doctors" have saved many a troops life. For some, more than once.

The military?

Where did I say anyone had to join the military to go to med school?

I said we already have a government subsidy for medical school through the military and no other government subsidies are needed.

And it's lose/ lose not loose/ loose

Yet those "unmotivated Doctors" have saved many a troops life. For some, more than once.

Hold on a second. I didn't say military Doctors were unmotivated. I said you would get a bunch of unmotivated Doctors if medical students were de facto forced into military service. As it stands now, I assume that most people who go into military medicine do so with a desire to serve on top of the financial incentives.

On top of that, you would lose a ton of Doctors in the civilian world because they would all be in uniform.

Where did I say anyone had to join the military to go to med school?

I said we already have a government subsidy for medical school through the military and no other government subsidies are needed.

Oh, okay. Saying the only government subsidies that should be available for Med Students (which would include government loans at low interest which I currently use to pay my loans) is the HPSP isn't exactly saying that someone has to join the military to go to Med School.

I suppose that is right. We could limit medical school to future military Docs and the independently wealthy.

And it's lose/ lose not loose/ loose

Thanks for that.

Forum List

Back