Stupidest thing you've done in a vehicle?

we'd buy a cheap car speed down the highway and sideswipe the guardrails. good light show.

- Drove around the neighborhood with a friend on the roof of the car. Got caught by a cop. Was sentenced to go to court. The judge was my father's best friend. $50 fine.

- Drove around the neighborhood with a bunch of us on the roof, but nobody was driving.

- Doused dirt back roads with gasoline, lit it on fire, then drove through it, playing "Burning Down the House" loudly on the stereo system.

- Rolled a car.

- Driving the wrong way on one way streets, just to see the expressions of the other drivers.

- Got caught with girlfriend in car by cops. We had to put clothes on while getting away. Girl put arm of my sweater over my head while trying to put it on for me. Could not see for a few blocks while driving down the road.

- Friend thought it was a good idea to try to drive through a large pond of ice water in a park with no one around. Water was up to the doors. We stalled. Surprisingly, the car started again and we were able to escape.

A few other things I'm sure I can't recall.

- Drove around the neighborhood with a friend on the roof of the car. Got caught by a cop. Was sentenced to go to court. The judge was my father's best friend. $50 fine.

- Drove around the neighborhood with a bunch of us on the roof, but nobody was driving.

- Doused dirt back roads with gasoline, lit it on fire, then drove through it, playing "Burning Down the House" loudly on the stereo system.

- Rolled a car.

- Driving the wrong way on one way streets, just to see the expressions of the other drivers.

- Got caught with girlfriend in car by cops. We had to put clothes on while getting away. Girl put arm of my sweater over my head while trying to put it on for me. Could not see for a few blocks while driving down the road.

- Friend thought it was a good idea to try to drive through a large pond of ice water in a park with no one around. Water was up to the doors. We stalled. Surprisingly, the car started again and we were able to escape.

You the MAN!

- Rolled a car.

Oh my god.. Boys! Did you ever tell your parents these stories?

Just the usual young driver foolishness.

In a Datsun Fair lady, late one drunken eveing, I lost control on a curve at about 90mph.

Oversteered once, (but didn't go into the creek) twice (but didn't hit the oak tree) thrice...ended up up going across somebody's front yard, and throught two picket fences -- backwards good thirty yards and or so!

Happy ending.

I hit a very large (maybe 12 diameter) lilac bush.

It's multiple branches took the impact slowing me down without really doing much damage to the car. The bush was toast though. I'd gone complete through the poor thing.

I ended up in the guy's driveway perfectly parked on it as though I'd planned the whole thing.

Lost a rear tail light and scratched up the paint job.

Drunk as the lord, the lights came on (it was about 2 AM) I cranked up the engine and drive off ASAP.

My date wasn't impressed.

Sold that car soon after, realizing that while it was very fast, but didn't handle all that well.

In college a group of us went to the beach for spring break. We ended up one night speeding down the highway with one of the guys duct taped to the hood of the car while the rest of us threw grapes out the windows and he tried to catch them in his mouth.
We had waaaay too much time on our hands. :lol:

One more then I'm off.
You know those huge 8 or 9 foot icicles that hang on the rocks at road cuts? A group of us used to go out and collect those, then go car jousting. Good stuff on a boring Friday night, but bad for the windshields. :redface:

1. drove off with gas nuzzle still in car

2. doing ludes drove off a bank ....the barb wire fence kept me from going off the mtn

3. o on a full moon....i love to drive without headlights...dont do this at home kiddies...cause one night some other asshole is gonna be out there coming my way with no head lights...it wont be pretty

Got the Camaro up to 115 mph on freeway going through Los Angeles at 3:30 A.M.

This one's long winded, but worth the read...

Attempted to tow a fully loaded U-Haul trailer with a 2-wheel drive, 4-cylinder S-10, through Colorado during snow season, during a blizzard...it gets better...

I approached a mountain pass, that wasn't yet closed, but was posted with a warning that it may be closed at any time. I also encounted a gentleman that had come from the other end of it and told me the snow was at least 3 feet high at the bottom of other end of the pass, and he advised us not to take the chance.

We were in the middle of nowhere, and to turn around meant we would lose way too much time on our trip by backtracking at least 2 hours to the nearest lodging. So we said fuck it, and we attempted to tackle the pass.

Remember, a 2-wheel drive, 4 cylinder S-10 towing a fully loaded U-Haul trailer.

We got about a quarter mile up the 5% grade pass, and ran out of momentum. Now we're stuck, wheels spinning, and the trailer is pulling the truck down at an angle and toward the edge of the pass (they don't put guardrails on most pass roads in CO, it's travel at your own risk).

So eventually we got the whole truck/trailer to stop sliding downwards, but we were perpendicular to the road at this point. We ended up unhooking the trailer and turning it so the tongue was facing back down the way we came, and I got the truck to move and straighten her out and back up to re-hitch.

We went back down and took an alternate route where there was a 6% grade decline, and parked at the side parking space at the top that most of those roads have, and slept in the truck until morning. Then we started off on our journey again.

Did I mention we were transporting 10 pounds of weed in the U-Haul trailer? :lol:

That's why we were so impatient, we had a deadline to get back to NJ where a lot of customers were waiting to buy. Greed almost got us killed. We were literally a few feet from the truck and trailer falling over the edge of the road on that pass.

Last edited:
Push-started my '66 Beetle from Illinois to Colorado. Drove it from TN to IL without brakes. Drove it across the Continental Divide at 5mph. Coasting down the other side was a riot.

Ran out of gas in my '91 S-10. I tried pushing it backwards onto a gravel road and fell. I was laying on my back and looked up just in time to dodge the open door frame. I thought "whew that was a close one"- just then the tire missed my head by inches. I got up in time to watch it knock over a street sign and roll into a ditch. I threw what was left of my beer into the bushes. Two guys stopped and pulled it out.

Missed a turn in my Lincoln, stopped, and tried backing up so I could turn around. Ended up at 45 degrees in a ditch. Walked 4 miles home. It was in the country and absolutely pitch dark. I knew the neighbor had two mean pit bulls running loose so I tried walking as quiet as I could. Just then I heard the "tick-tick-tick-tick" of the dogs nails on the pavement. They were running at me full speed. I couldn't outrun them and figured I was screwed. So I turned in their direction and yelled "STOP! LIE DOWN! GO HOME!" Silence. LOL that was close.

Attempted to tow a fully loaded U-Haul trailer with a 2-wheel drive, 4-cylinder S-10, through Colorado during snow season, during a blizzard...it gets better...

I approached a mountain pass, that wasn't yet closed, but was posted with a warning that it may be closed at any time. I also encounted a gentleman that had come from the other end of it and told me the snow was at least 3 feet high at the bottom of other end of the pass, and he advised us not to take the chance.

We were in the middle of nowhere, and to turn around meant we would lose way too much time on our trip by backtracking at least 2 hours to the nearest lodging. So we said fuck it, and we attempted to tackle the pass.

Remember, a 2-wheel drive, 4 cylinder S-10 towing a fully loaded U-Haul trailer.

We got about a quarter mile up the 5% grade pass, and ran out of momentum. Now we're stuck, wheels spinning, and the trailer is pulling the truck down at an angle and toward the edge of the pass (they don't put guardrails on most pass roads in CO, it's travel at your own risk).

So eventually we got the whole truck/trailer to stop sliding downwards, but we were perpendicular to the road at this point. We ended up unhooking the trailer and turning it so the tongue was facing back down the way we came, and I got the truck to move and straighten her out and back up to re-hitch.

We went back down and took an alternate route where there was a 6% grade decline, and parked at the side parking space at the top that most of those roads have, and slept in the truck until morning. Then we started off on our journey again.

Did I mention we were transporting 10 pounds of weed in the U-Haul trailer? :lol:

That's why we were so impatient, we had a deadline to get back to NJ where a lot of customers were waiting to buy. Greed almost got us killed. We were literally a few feet from the truck and trailer falling over the edge of the road on that pass.

That was a great story..:lol:

That was a great story..:lol:

And you know there's no possible way I could have made that up, either.

I've never been more scared for my life then when that thing started sliding backwards. We approached the incline with a speed of around 70 mph, as I hoped that would give us enough momentum to make it to the top of the incline, which was only like another quarter mile. After that, it was just winding roads with a tiny incline/decline here and there. It was just that initial steep graded entry point that was the hard part.

We still laugh about that shit to this day.

And Lumpy, the actual FUNNIEST part about that was that about an hour before that, one of my passengers was driving at the time through the regular roads that led up to the pass, and they were pretty winding. All kinds of S's, you name it. The snow was bad, so the roads were pretty slippery.

I was laying down in the back behind the seats trying to get some shut-eye when I started noticing that homeboy was driving rather fast with all that snow. I said something about it and he shrugged me off "I've live in CO all my life I can drive through snow!".

20 seconds later, we start fish-tailing and he did as best as he could to try and correct it but the trailer's weight eventually won out and the trailer ended up dropping down into a ditch that ran along the road and bounced back up into the street, snapped the ball-hitch, and fell over onto its side. We flipped the trailer back up normally, and for some unknown fucking reason, I happened to have another ball in my truck of the same size. So we put the ball on, re-hitched the trailer, and kept going...then comes the previous story about the pass.

Yeah, it was a really fun trip. The trailer took a little damage, but nothing that they noticed when we turned it in. And my bumper got bent a little. That was it.

I'm laughing my ass off right now re-living all of this.

Last edited:

Similar genre to a driving story of mine.

I was in Southern VT driving my 86 Nissan Sentra in the snow. Essentially, I doubled the weight of the car when I sat in it.

I was driving on a main road down into town, and before I reached the town, I had to turn right onto a road that ran up a hill. I made the turn in 2nd gear and started to spin as I went up the hill. In first, I spun more.

So I backed up, turned around and drove down the hill into town...about 1/2 mile. I then turned around and drove 55mph up the main road and then at full speed turned onto the snow covered hill and spun my way all the way up it.

I probably could have killed myself...but as a college student, that realization only comes in retrospect.

By the way, a 4 cylinder S-10 can not tow a U-Haul trailer.

I could not drive across I-40 any faster than 50 mph, other wise it would drop down into passing gear. It took us like 5 days to make a trip that should only take 3 at the most if you stop, and 2 if you drive straight through.

I remember that I would actually "draft" with the big rigs as they passed me, because if I could keep right behind them I could get more speed without having the wind resistance.

Forum List

Back