Stupid Whining Stifles Meaningful Debate

Samson

Póg Mo Thóin
Dec 3, 2009
A Higher Plain
WHHHHHHAAAAAAAA!

whiner.gif

Whining is a habit your membership over time, and it will take a little time to break it. But, don't despair; you can stop your member's whining habit. Here's how:

1. Notice when the member whines and choose your response. Changing the pattern of whining begins when you change how you respond to it.

2. When you notice whining, call attention to it. Whining has become an unconscious habit by the time a member reaches elementary school. They need to learn to recognize it first. Some strategies you can try are:

a. Purposeful ignoring. You can even say "I'm ignoring you when you use your whiny voice. Try again in your normal voice and I'll pay attention."
b. Whine back. Use a bit of humor to cue them to notice their whining by showing what a whiny voice sounds like.
c. Stop them immediately when they whines and say, "Do you hear that you are whining? Tell me the same thing in your normal voice."
d. Tone of voice is the hallmark of whining, but the member's reaction to being told 'no' is another component of whining. They need to learn a new habit to replace whining, so help them learn the right approach to asking for what they want. Asking politely is an important social skill that you can teach directly.

3. Reinforce non-whining.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back