Stupid Things Done By the Federal Government That We're Still Paying For...

bayoubill

aka Sheik Yerbouti...
Dec 30, 2008
Cajun Country
either culturally or financially, or both...

I'll start with the insertion of "under God" into the Pledge of Alliance back in the Eisenhower era...

and the Community Reinvestment Act promulgated during the Carter administration...

Last edited:
LBJ's "Great Society" and "War On Poverty", which led to the destruction of the family unit in poor black communities, has to be included...

Medicare, Medicaid and all other federal involvements in the health care market...

which has caused the cost of health care to skyrocket to an unbelievable and obscene level...

I'll start with the insertion of "under God" into the Pledge of Alliance back in the Eisenhower era...

and the Community Reinvestment Act promulgated during the Carter administration...

Social Security.

cool beans...! somebody brought up stuff from the FDR era...

anybody wanna mention the dumb stuff Woodrow Wilson did that we're all still paying for...?

The Commodities Futures Modernization Act of 2000.

This Act shall supersede and preempt the application of any State or local law that prohibits or regulates gaming or the operation of bucket shops

Bucket shops, for chrissakes! A clear admission that structured finance products are crooked gambling products. And I never heard anyone screaming about "states rights" over the federal government pre-empting state laws on bucket shops.

The unanimous SEC Net-Capital Rules Change for Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, Merrill Lynch, Lehman Brothers, and Bear Stearns.

In line with new capital adequacy standards coming into force soon under Europe's Basel accords, brokerages granted CSE status would be able to use in-house, risk-measuring computer models to figure how much net capital they need to set aside.

There's your sub-prime crash explained in a single sentence right there.

Since the new CSE rules will apply to the largest brokerages without bank affiliates, SEC Commissioner Harvey Goldschmid said, "If anything goes wrong, it's going to be an awfully big mess."

Grossest understatement of the new century.

Last edited:

anybody wanna mention the dumb stuff Woodrow Wilson did that we're all still paying for...?

WW I

BTW, could you change your avatar? Looking at the one you have grosses me out.

WW I

BTW, could you change your avatar? Looking at the one you have grosses me out.

lol... sorry about that... didn't occur to me that someone who uses a li'l tiny kid shooting the bird for their avie would be bothered by such things...

"Under God"
So don't SAY IT!

Forum List

Back