Stupid IT department

Poor bastard.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oavMtUWDBTM&feature=related]YouTube - I am very glad, because I'm finally returning back home (Trololo)[/ame]

:lol:

...they took FireFox off of our machines. Now I'm stuck using IE.

Bastards.

I like Firefox, but the latest version does NOT support some of my programs, previous one do. I also use SEAMONKEY, the top of the line browser suite, I guess, that Mozilla has. It IS faster. The update frequency of SeaMonkey for video and all around operation is 2X faster than Firefox 3.5.8 that I have now, the streaming of audio/video is so fast anyway that unless one is really checking, one wouldn't notice.

IE, I will NOT USE, unless the site I need or programs demands it. Did you ask them why? But if the PC's are theirs, they can do anything they want to 'protect' themselves against, whatever......:lol:

Given IE's reputation for security, I am wondering what they are smoking

I dunno. I don't dare download and install FF though. Everytime someone downloads something, nasty emails start flying from IT.

Download FF at home on your personal machine to a memory stick.

Take memory stick to work, and upload from memory stick.

IT won't sniff you out (for a while, anyway, they have software that automaticall sniffs machines on the network for illegal programs and snuffs 'em out).

OK, I downloaded FF.

Probably gonna get in trouble now. But I just couldn't take the stupidity any longer.

asdjihasdkj

Yay! Spellcheck is back!

Given IE's reputation for security, I am wondering what they are smoking

I dunno. I don't dare download and install FF though. Everytime someone downloads something, nasty emails start flying from IT.

IT won't sniff you out (for a while, anyway, they have software that automaticall sniffs machines on the network for illegal programs and snuffs 'em out).

I just straight up downloaded it. Fuck 'em.

Did you ask them why?

They said that they are ending support for FF, and going strictly IE.

Whatever though, I still think they are dumb.

Whatever.. It always seems that the folks who insist on thinking for you, lack the equipment to do it for themselves.

And how much support does FF need?

Putting on my tin foil hat, this seems a way of generating support tickets from the user base. More support tickets means that you need more IT staff.

I hope you're not in contract negotiations at this time. :D

Did you ask them why?

Whatever.. It always seems that the folks who insist on thinking for you, lack the equipment to do it for themselves.

Putting on my tin foil hat, this seems a way of generating support tickets from the user base. More support tickets means that you need more IT staff.

Job security.

Bingo!

Did you ask them why?

We're not that big, our IT staff is pretty much 1 guy, with backup provided by our other engineering staff.

I just think he didn't like FF all that much, and is in love with MS products.

I'm not a contract employee. So nope. Really, they could fire me at any time.

But I do have a wee bit of seniority, been here 10 years this month.

IOW, you're not on-air talent, so its all good. ;)

And don't count on that 10 years giving you an edge when it comes to the hammer. Companies have NO loyalty to their long-term employees, or ANY employees.

In fact, because you've been there so long, you might actually COST them more money than a newbie they could get right out of college for 1/2 price.

Age/experience is a double-edged sword. Wait till you're almost 50. You'll see.

IOW, you're not on-air talent, so its all good. ;)

And don't count on that 10 years giving you an edge when it comes to the hammer. Companies have NO loyalty to their long-term employees, or ANY employees.

In fact, because you've been there so long, you might actually COST them more money than a newbie they could get right out of college for 1/2 price.

Age/experience is a double-edged sword. Wait till you're almost 50. You'll see.

I fly below the radar. And I'm actually lower paid. I'm not looking to move up or get full time status here. Keeps me safe and employed in this second job.

We're not that big, our IT staff is pretty much 1 guy, with backup provided by our other engineering staff.

In love with MS products? Pretty kinky. I guess he spends his spare time at the dentist's office or the DMV

In love with MS products? Pretty kinky. I guess he spends his spare time at the dentist's office or the DMV

Possibly. I don't know the guy that well.

Forum List

Back