Stupid California Tricks

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
I hope somebody that thinks this makes sense can explain it to me.

Last week, for example, Governor Jerry Brown signed into law a new standard for the percentage of renewable energy to be required in electric power production. By 2020, 33% of the electricity produced and sold in California is to come from renewable sources: wind, solar, biomass. Everyone is stating right up front that this will make electricity cost more. A price increase of up to 19% is projected by 2020. This will have an impact on business costs, of course, and will factor into rising prices for everything. It will also cause household electricity bills to rise.
Residential electricity use by Californians is already some of the lowest in the nation, largely a function of the temperate weather. But low electricity use is also a function of relatively high existing rates. The margin many households have for using less electricity is thin. So as bills go up further, Californians will simply have to spend more on electric power and less on other things.
They will at least have more solar and wind farms to look at. It takes 12.5 square miles of solar panels to generate the same max power output as a large coal-burning or small nuclear plant – and of course, the average output of the solar photovoltaic arrays is 30% or less of the maximum potential, since the weather doesn’t always cooperate and there’s less sun per day at certain times of year.
Wind is considerably less efficient per acre than solar, so if wind is to feature prominently in the move to renewables in California, there will have to be a lot more wind turbines than the 13-mile stretch of them along I-10 in San Gorgonio Pass (video), or the gaggle on Highway 58 in the Tehachapi Pass. But it may not be only Californians who get to look at all the wind farms; San Diego Gas and Electric has already signed a deal with a wind farm provider in Montana. An interesting prospect for the other Western states.

Stupid California Tricks « The Greenroom

Californians knew Brown was a moron the last time he was governor. Why did they elected him again? Probably the same reason Madison, Wisconsin reelected that greasy old hippie POS Soglin again. There's just too many people that are allowed to vote that genuinely DON'T - KNOW - SHIT.

Californians knew Brown was a moron the last time he was governor. Why did they elected him again? Probably the same reason Madison, Wisconsin reelected that greasy old hippie POS Soglin again. There's just too many people that are allowed to vote that genuinely DON'T - KNOW - SHIT.

They know plenty, or enough that is.

Here in CA they voted to keep the welfare coming. Why would they vote for someone who wanted to cut the cash flow off?

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
I hope somebody that thinks this makes sense can explain it to me.

Last week, for example, Governor Jerry Brown signed into law a new standard for the percentage of renewable energy to be required in electric power production. By 2020, 33% of the electricity produced and sold in California is to come from renewable sources: wind, solar, biomass. Everyone is stating right up front that this will make electricity cost more. A price increase of up to 19% is projected by 2020. This will have an impact on business costs, of course, and will factor into rising prices for everything. It will also cause household electricity bills to rise.
Residential electricity use by Californians is already some of the lowest in the nation, largely a function of the temperate weather. But low electricity use is also a function of relatively high existing rates. The margin many households have for using less electricity is thin. So as bills go up further, Californians will simply have to spend more on electric power and less on other things.
They will at least have more solar and wind farms to look at. It takes 12.5 square miles of solar panels to generate the same max power output as a large coal-burning or small nuclear plant – and of course, the average output of the solar photovoltaic arrays is 30% or less of the maximum potential, since the weather doesn’t always cooperate and there’s less sun per day at certain times of year.
Wind is considerably less efficient per acre than solar, so if wind is to feature prominently in the move to renewables in California, there will have to be a lot more wind turbines than the 13-mile stretch of them along I-10 in San Gorgonio Pass (video), or the gaggle on Highway 58 in the Tehachapi Pass. But it may not be only Californians who get to look at all the wind farms; San Diego Gas and Electric has already signed a deal with a wind farm provider in Montana. An interesting prospect for the other Western states.

Stupid California Tricks « The Greenroom

Yes, moonbeam is crazy. The only way i can see this working is if the state pays to put solar panels on ever building for free. And then let homeowners and businesses sell excess power back to the grid.

Forum List

Back