Stumped!

Mr. P

VIP Member
Aug 5, 2004
South of the Mason Dixon
Okay I'm stumped...More and more I get the message..
resolving host xyz.com/org...then (after a wait) I get, xyz.com/org could not be found.
This even happens trying to come in here to USMB sometimes...

?, is...is this my browser (Netscape), my isp or another program interfering? Win xp home and I run zone alarm, avast anti-virus and eudora most of the time.
Sometimes a disconnect/reconnect works..sometimes not.
Sometimes it takes a re-boot.
I haven't added anything new..etc
Any ideas?

Mr. P said:
resolving host xyz.com/org...then (after a wait) I get, xyz.com/org could not be found.

?, is...is this my browser (Netscape), my isp or another program interfering? Win xp home and I run zone alarm, avast anti-virus and eudora most of the time.
Any ideas?

sounds like you have an adware program problem. most likely, double-click. Do you have adaware installed? If not, I highly recommend it. go to www.lavasoft.com and download their free program.

Mr. P said:
I have spybot not adaware though.

i use both but find that adaware generally catches more stuff. you can tweak it to do really in debth scans and it works really well.

NightTrain said:
Both Spybot and Adaware catch things that the other doesn't detect, for some reason.

Sounds like you've got a browser hijacker on board.

Do these programs run constantly or are they scans that you run from time to time?

dilloduck said:
Do these programs run constantly or are they scans that you run from time to time?

You have to run them yourself from time to time. I usually run mine at least once a week, sometimes more often, depending on where I have been online.

They're just programs that you run from time to time. I do a scan once per week, but like Khafley said, if I've been in shady areas of the internet it's a very good idea to do it right away. The worst areas IMHO are in Warez sites, if you're looking for a key or a cracked program or something. There's a buncha rat bastards lurking in those sites.

Just make sure you update your spyware detection programs before you scan, just like you'd do for your anti-virus definitions.

Installed and ran adaware.
Speed seems to have increased...I'll let ya'll know if this does it...It may, the first scan found a bunch of bad boys.

Mr. P said:

The next time this happens, go to the command prompt (DOS) and type this in exactly:

tracert www.usmessageboard.com

(or whatever domain it is you are getting the error going to)

This will give you a response time from every hop you need to go through to reach your destination. Paste the results (or screenshot) here so we can see where it's failing.

If your problem was in fact spyware/malware related and your problem is already fixed then ignore this message. :)

jimnyc said:
The next time this happens, go to the command prompt (DOS) and type this in exactly:

tracert www.usmessageboard.com

(or whatever domain it is you are getting the error going to)

This will give you a response time from every hop you need to go through to reach your destination. Paste the results (or screenshot) here so we can see where it's failing.

If your problem was in fact spyware/malware related and your problem is already fixed then ignore this message. :)

I'll do that Jim..but I don't think it's your setup/site...I've had this problem even trying to go to my homepage after connecting to the net.

NightTrain said:
They're just programs that you run from time to time. I do a scan once per week, but like Khafley said, if I've been in shady areas of the internet it's a very good idea to do it right away. The worst areas IMHO are in Warez sites, if you're looking for a key or a cracked program or something. There's a buncha rat bastards lurking in those sites.

Just make sure you update your spyware detection programs before you scan, just like you'd do for your anti-virus definitions.

Warez, like a trip to the darkside isn't it?

khafley said:
You have to run them yourself from time to time. I usually run mine at least once a week, sometimes more often, depending on where I have been online.
It is a configuration setup. You can schedule both of them run at a specific time.

Mr. P said:

Any ideas?

Based on this i would suggest checking your internet connection when you see described behavior. You can use Jim's advice or you can try pinging site.

Usually spyware or hijacking ware track your internet usage or redirect you to a different site (modifing your 'home page').

my 2c

Quick question. Do you like avast anti-virus? Have you used any other free anti-virus softwares (like AVG)?
thank you

Said1 said:
Warez, like a trip to the darkside isn't it?

Yep, except those hackers can't say: "NT... I am your Father..." :D

drac said:
Quick question. Do you like avast anti-virus? Have you used any other free anti-virus softwares (like AVG)?
thank you

I like AVG, never had any problems at all, with exception of that trojan that was stored away in my System Volume Information files.. and I'm not sure another program would have ripped that out either.

drac said:
thank you

Yes I like it. It's very easy to use
updates are frequent and fast. I haven't had any problems with it.
I had AVG and had problems with the install so I just dumped it
an use avast instead.

Forum List

Back