Study: Which the violent, Koran or Bible?

Freeman

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2009
Is The Bible More Violent Than The Quran?

Given this violent legacy, religion historian Philip Jenkins decided to compare the brutality quotient of the Quran and the Bible.

Defense Vs. Total Annihilation

"Much to my surprise, the Islamic scriptures in the Quran were actually far less bloody and less violent than those in the Bible," Jenkins says.

Jenkins is a professor at Penn State University and author of two books dealing with the issue: the recently published Jesus Wars, and Dark Passages , which has not been published but is already drawing controversy.

Much to my surprise, the Islamic scriptures in the Quran were actually far less bloody and less violent than those in the Bible.

- Philip Jenkins, author of 'Jesus Wars'

Violence in the Quran, he and others say, is largely a defense against attack.

"By the standards of the time, which is the 7th century A.D., the laws of war that are laid down by the Quran are actually reasonably humane," he says. "Then we turn to the Bible, and we actually find something that is for many people a real surprise. There is a specific kind of warfare laid down in the Bible which we can only call genocide."

It is called herem, and it means total annihilation. Consider the Book of 1 Samuel, when God instructs King Saul to attack the Amalekites: "And utterly destroy all that they have, and do not spare them," God says through the prophet Samuel. "But kill both man and woman, infant and nursing child, ox and sheep, camel and donkey."
Is The Bible More Violent Than The Quran? : NPR
finally, a honest man.
Bible-Sword-Bg.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, the Bible is a lot more violent than the Koran, which is why we are all worried about offending all those radical fundamentalist Jews and Christians, and are free to mock Muhammad and burn Korans. :cuckoo:

Why are you afraid of Muslims?

Yes, the Bible is a lot more violent than the Koran, which is why we are all worried about offending all those radical fundamentalist Jews and Christians, and are free to mock Muhammad and burn Korans. :cuckoo:

From the article:

'Holy Amnesia'

But Jenkins says, even though the Bible is violent, Christianity and Judaism today are not for the most part.

"What happens in all religions as they grow and mature and expand, they go through a process of forgetting of the original violence, and I call this a process of holy amnesia," Jenkins says.

They make the violence symbolic: Wiping out the enemy becomes wiping out one's own sins. Jenkins says that until recently, Islam had the same sort of holy amnesia, and many Muslims interpreted jihad, for example, as an internal struggle, not physical warfare.

Is The Bible More Violent Than The Quran?

Given this violent legacy, religion historian Philip Jenkins decided to compare the brutality quotient of the Quran and the Bible.

Defense Vs. Total Annihilation

"Much to my surprise, the Islamic scriptures in the Quran were actually far less bloody and less violent than those in the Bible," Jenkins says.

Jenkins is a professor at Penn State University and author of two books dealing with the issue: the recently published Jesus Wars, and Dark Passages , which has not been published but is already drawing controversy.

Much to my surprise, the Islamic scriptures in the Quran were actually far less bloody and less violent than those in the Bible.

- Philip Jenkins, author of 'Jesus Wars'

Violence in the Quran, he and others say, is largely a defense against attack.

"By the standards of the time, which is the 7th century A.D., the laws of war that are laid down by the Quran are actually reasonably humane," he says. "Then we turn to the Bible, and we actually find something that is for many people a real surprise. There is a specific kind of warfare laid down in the Bible which we can only call genocide."

It is called herem, and it means total annihilation. Consider the Book of 1 Samuel, when God instructs King Saul to attack the Amalekites: "And utterly destroy all that they have, and do not spare them," God says through the prophet Samuel. "But kill both man and woman, infant and nursing child, ox and sheep, camel and donkey."
Is The Bible More Violent Than The Quran? : NPR
finally, a honest man.
Bible-Sword-Bg.jpg

Both books are violent fucked up pieces of shit.

The DIFFERENCES are the religions that follow each of those books and how they are interrupted and acted upon.

So which is more violent, the books and words.....or the idiots who follow and act out?

Books are only paper and ink. As far as i can tell BOTH books are works of fiction. Fiction can be some fucked up shit ya know.

The scholar clearly stated that the koran call for "defensive behavior";
hence why propagandist show defensive behavior" as violence?

should self-defence be banned in religion?

Religion should be banned.

Defensive behavior is not AGGRESSIVE behavior. There is a difference between what is IN the koran and what its followers are DOING.

what a logic?

so because 0.0001 of followers are using violence, a religion should be banned!!!!

Its a good thing Christ died for all of us, including you stupid fuckers, cause I sure as hell wouldn't do it.

As we've already determined in another thread, and as anyone who isn't a clueless moron already knows, Jesus Christ is good and real, and muhammed is an imaginary, goat-fucking poser.

Next....

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
The scholar clearly stated that the koran call for "defensive behavior";
hence why propagandist show defensive behavior" as violence?

should self-defence be banned in religion?

Defensive behavior like flying planes into buildings and suicide bombings that kill indiscriminately.

Again, why are you afraid of Muslims? Why are you afraid to answer a simple question?

what a logic?

so because 0.0001 of followers are using violence, a religion should be banned!!!!

A major poll recently showed that 78% of Muslims living in the US think suicide bombings are never justified. That means that 22%, not 0.0001%, have no problem justifying killing themselves to kill anyone who offends them. You might be so afraid of them that you are unwilling to point this out, but I am not.

Oh, I get it. Since the bible has tons of violence, rape and murder, we should ignore what Islam is doing in the world every day.

That's awesome, dude.

Books are paper and ink. Paper and ink are not violent.

Oh, I get it. Since the bible has tons of violence, rape and murder, we should ignore what Islam is doing in the world every day.

That's awesome, dude.

I have to ask, because honestly, I haven't been here long enough to have gleaned it on my own.....

What's your position on gun control?

That's awesome, dude.

I have to ask, because honestly, I haven't been here long enough to have gleaned it on my own.....

I oppose gun control. I actually have been thinking about a new 9m. Is that answer enough for ya?

I oppose gun control. I actually have been thinking about a new 9m. Is that answer enough for ya?

If money is no object, get a Sig.

If you want a $500 gun, get the Springfield, and you can never go wrong with the Beretta 92.

And for a $400 gun, the new Ruger is nice.

If you're going cheap, just get a rock :)

So I guess the problem with Islam is not the Koran, its the people who teach the Koran that are the source of the problem.

Yes. There are obviously some muslims who are taking verses out of context to justify violence or the verses are actually in context and the murderers are simply believing they apply to them personally. I wish I'd hear just once a muslim tell the terrorists they are taking verses out of context instead of telling those who question the violence are. It makes them look compliant.

Last edited:

That's awesome, dude.
put this in your small head:
Muslims didn't massacre 114 millions amerindians and didn't throw atomic bombs on japanese nor push crusade against Irak!

Bush : "God tell me to go to war"! :eusa_liar:

So I guess the problem with Islam is not the Koran, its the people who teach the Koran that are the source of the problem.

Yes. There are obviously some muslims who are taking verses out of context to justify violence or the verses are actually in context and the murderers are simply believing they apply to them personally. I wish I'd hear just once a muslim tell the terrorists they are taking verses out of context instead of telling those who question the violence are. It makes them look compliant.
all muslim scholars reject violence, you don't know it? you need examples?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back