Study shows: Working moms = Fat kids

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
It's yet another challenge for working moms. Could the amount of time you spend at work negatively affect your child's eating habits?

That's what a new study published in the Journal of Child Development has found.

Child obesity has tripled in the last 30 years. During that same time period, more moms were facing the challenge of balancing a career and raising a family.

Researches looked at the body mass index of about 900 children in 3rd, 5th and 6th grade and found that they gained approximately one pound for every six months their mother worked. One local expert says a mom who works doesn't necessarily have the time to prepare a healthy meal when they get home.

"A lot of times parents drive through the drive through on their way home and grab some fast food for their family to eat which again is processed, high fat high calorie meals which we know leads to obesity," said Jennifer Black, an RN, CBN at Mercy Medical Center.

Read more

Our kids aren't fat. My oldest actually looks better now than she did two years ago when she entered college. Oh, college food sucks so she doesnt' eat much of it. Boy is it a boost to me when she comes home and scarfs down what I make! lol

Meal prep takes time and if you're not home to prep it, it's often the quick fix for dinner, again. Prepping for the weeks meals could be done on the weekends and then frozen . . .but no one wants to do that either.

Everyone in my family is skinny and my wife is a stay-at-home Mom. The system works!

Same here.

But the amount of time my wife spends planning and preparing healthy meals is quite significant. It wouldn't be realistic to expect the same if she earned a paycheck too.

Our decision to have her not return to work wasn't an easy one either. Trust me, we've sacrificed A LOT to make it work. But all things considered, we both agree that we made the right call.

It's yet another challenge for working moms. Could the amount of time you spend at work negatively affect your child's eating habits?

That's what a new study published in the Journal of Child Development has found.

Child obesity has tripled in the last 30 years. During that same time period, more moms were facing the challenge of balancing a career and raising a family.

Researches looked at the body mass index of about 900 children in 3rd, 5th and 6th grade and found that they gained approximately one pound for every six months their mother worked. One local expert says a mom who works doesn't necessarily have the time to prepare a healthy meal when they get home.

"A lot of times parents drive through the drive through on their way home and grab some fast food for their family to eat which again is processed, high fat high calorie meals which we know leads to obesity," said Jennifer Black, an RN, CBN at Mercy Medical Center.

Read more

my wife was a working mom and our 3 kids are NOT fat.

our 3 daughters are working moms and they each have 1 kid; NOT fat

my daughter in NH has a number of working mom friends with a bunch of kids; NONE fat

my daughter in SC has some CHRISTIAN working mom friends with kids; the moms AND the kids are fat....CHRISTIANS make you fat!

we live in a neighborhood with MANY working moms;
the only fat mom is the fundy christian

the only fat kids are the kids of the fundy christian....

my studies show that CHRISTIANITY makes you fat

Hey Mani! The Pancake-Unicorn-Obama artist has a painting of Heidi the cross-eyed Possum!

boedicca-albums-more-boedicca-s-stuff-picture3276-heidi-das-schielende-opossum.jpg

Everyone in my family is skinny and my wife is a stay-at-home Mom. The system works!

Same here.

But the amount of time my wife spends planning and preparing healthy meals is quite significant. It wouldn't be realistic to expect the same if she earned a paycheck too.

Our decision to have her not return to work wasn't an easy one either. Trust me, we've sacrificed A LOT to make it work. But all things considered, we both agree that we made the right call.

I'm glad we made the sacrifices initially because my wife became disabled about 5 years ago and can't work even if she wanted to. Now everybody pitches in. It's brought the family closer. And since we learned to live on less, the financial impact was negligible.

One the flip side, I grew up with my single parent working a full time job and sometimes a part time job on the side. And I'm slightly to the skinny side on the BMI--which is kind of a skewed indicator, a lot of linebackers in football are considered obese on the BMI, but whatever. That was mostly because of finances and my metabolism.

I think it just comes down to, if both parents (or the one in a single-parent household) are working full time, the kid comes home from school and snacks on some junk until the parents come home. And then they oven some prepackaged dinner that's usually not too healthy--high in calories but low in nutrition. But it's convenient, the kids eat it, and the parents are tired--so it's just what works best.

And i think the general trend in our culture is a more sedentary lifestyle. When the parents aren't home, the rules are to stay inside and just watch TV or go on the computer until mommy or daddy gets home. Then you can go play until it's dark. But playing these days involves a video game console, instead of a bicycle and stick or whatever they did back in the day.

Or course those are some massive generalizations, but it seems to be somewhere near the mark imo.

Forum List

Back