Study Shows Religion Has A Negative Correlation to Social Functionality

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by CivilLiberty, Aug 21, 2006.

1. CivilLiberty

CivilLiberty Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Study Shows Religion Has A Negative Correlation to Social Functionality

A recent paper by Gregory S. Paul in the Journal of Religion and Society shows and interesting correlation between social dysfunction (crime, STDs, teenage pregnancy, etc) and religion.

While many religious adherents make the claim that "religion is good for society", this paper shows that the reverse is true:

http://moses.creighton.edu/JRS/2005/2005-11.html

In his column, Martin Foreman makes this point:

http://www.humaniststudies.org/enews/index.html?id=219&article=7

Indeed, in my study of the bible, I've read that it supports a "chosen one superiority", wherein the "chosen ones" have the right to annihilate the "non-chosen" ones. I'd submit that this attitude is at least partly behind much of the non-secular violence we see in the world today.

Andy

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533
    The conclusions here are necessarily flawed; they do not take all the important factors into consideration. Case in point: the "more secular, pro-evolution democracies" have, for the last sixty years, been allowed to exist - indeed, thrive - in economic and military unreality. They didn't have to expend their blood and treasure defending themselves against the principal threat of the postwar age - Soviet expansionism. Their dysfunctional cowboy pals across the pond(s) took care of all that.

In regard to Post-Christian Europe, at any rate - that addled, fat, self- satisfied beast born of assured security (and the inevitable laziness that follows such waking dreams) - I don't know that this was the kindest course for America to take. Whatever else you say about theistic societies, you have to admit that they're tough sons of bitches - always ready to defend themselves in the here and now. Can as much be said of Post-Christian Europe, in the face of the principal threat of THIS age - Islamofascism? Doesn't look that way to me; seems they're already looking for a place to lay down.

Perhaps being a "more secular, pro-evolution democracy" is a luxury that can be enjoyed only in the context of a strong, moral, God-fearing people who stand ready to face reality, and do the dirty work.

3. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    I hear that Chinese anthropologists, free from all of the political BS taking place here, have said that Christianity is responsible for the prosperity of the west. If I can get a link, I'll post it.

4. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,157
    It is responsible for the prosperity of the west. The Protestant work ethic for example is one of the things that has made the western world great (Unfortunately its been lost).

The Bible is another thing that has helped our prosperity, not because of the morals (which of course has benefited the west), but because without the Bible the western literacy rate may never shot up once the printing press was built. A little known fact is there was actually a printing press in Korea prior to Europe. But it didnt have the same results as in the west. Because there was nothing all the population wanted to read. In the mostly Christian west, everyone, especially the lower classes of people taught themselves to read in order to study the Bible. The process wasnt immediate but the Bible was the catalyst.

Heck, the west wouldnt even exist anymore if it wasnt for the United States and does anyone honestly believe the United States could have been formed as it is without all the people who fled from religious persecution in Europe in hopes of freedom in the New World?

I think there are alot of people who want to dismiss religion outright so they wont look at the rich history that it has helped create.

5. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    "True believers", whose rigid adherence to religious dogma blinds them to any other alternative, often lack the basic skills needed to function effectively in society. Namely the abilitiy to see another's point of view and strike a compromise...as in finding the middle ground, not in submission to another's will.

Also, individuals of this disposition aren't satisfied with mere respect for their religious views...They want them enforced. When religious dogma is given the force of law democracy becomes a thing of the past and totalitarianism, in the guise of religion, takes root. This is also known as a theocracy.

6. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

That's also known as pro-homosexual agenda, liberals, and the KKK.

etc...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  7. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    I would like to see his list of "prosperous democracies" to determine who he is comaring with the United States.

Canada, UK, Japan, .....???

8. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,779
    And how many theocracies has the West produced?

9. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Well, let's see. There was Spain, and then there was, uh, I'll get back to you.

Most of the rest that people see as 'theocracies,' such as England, was more the state running the church than the other way around.

10. CivilLiberty

CivilLiberty Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +50

I'd like to see that - please post it if you can find it.

A