Study shows cost of smoking to Dept of Defense is $846-Million

American Horse

AKA "Mustang"
Jan 23, 2009
The Hoosier Heartland
Smoking In Military Populations, VA Medical Centers: DOD, VA, Congress Should Take Stronger Steps Toward Eliminating Tobacco Use

Panel suggests eliminating tobacco from military within 20 years | Stars and Stripes

In civilian populatrion about 20% of the adult population smokes; in the military population about 33% smoke.

Study shows cost of smoking to Dept of Defense is $846-Million in most recent year.

These are costs to the department in medical costs and lost personnel efficiency.
No doubt a part of this huge cost is veterans requiring medical services. But veterans may begin smoking once seperated from the service.

I wonder how the calculations of lost efficiency were made? I'm almost positive they would've been exagerated to the Nth degree to make a sound case.

And it's proposed that future new officers and enlistees be "smoke free" in their personal habits.

Couldn't that policy deprive the military of good talent, who just happen to be smokers?

so it's ok to limit the use of a substance because of a law that may or may not be arbitrary, but not ok to limit a substance based on research ?

They own the soldier so to speak, and by that i mean they control his entire life, so what's wrong with limiting a possibly harmful substance? I doubt they will ever get a smoke free military because cigs are legal, but it will reduce usage on base.

I understand that theres a lot of propaganda with smoking research, but I was arguing what makes one reason better than the other.

Obviously you don't believe the research, but my first boss did the same thing to me. She asked if I smoke and told me about how taking smoke breaks can add up and end up costing the employer money on time spent doing nothing.

btw second hand smoke is the one that pisses me off. My room mates are heavy smokers and I never have any breathing problems nor notice differences when I go on vacation without them. It's complete BS

That something "pisses you off" doesn't automatically make it a health risk.

As I asked in my first post on the topic, what makes cigarette smoking any more risky than serving in a war zone, joining the paratroops, or being involved in EOD??

honestly i just like poking people about their legal drugs because I'm more of a fan of the illegal ones.

Forum List

Back