Study says cell phones may cause brain cancer

CMike

Zionist, proud to be
Oct 25, 2009
The study does say it's complicated. What do you all think?

Int'l study cautions cellphone users

The researchers found a 40-percent higher prevalence of gliomas and meningiomas (two types of brain cancer) among adults who used cellphones for an average of 30 minutes a day for 10 years, but could not state whether there was a link – even though the malignancies were more often located on the side of the head where people held their cellphones. By way of comparison, the risk of lung cancer (and many other diseases) is 1,000% higher among smokers than non-smokers.

Sidetzky, director of the cancer and radiation epidemiology unit at Gertner, said in a briefing for health reporters there that the Interphone study “sets off red lights.” She has been working on the possible effects cellphones since 1998.

“The study did not produce results that are black and white. One cannot summarize them in a sentence; it is very complicated,” said the epidemiologist, who conceded later that she used a cellphone and would continue to use one while taking precautions to keep it as far away from her head and body as possible.

Radiation epidemiologist Prof. Elisabeth Cardis of Barcelona led a team of 21 researchers in 18 centers in Australia, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Israel, Italy, Japan, New Zealand, Norway, Sweden and the UK. Over 5,000 people who had been diagnosed with gliomas and meningiomas were interviewed about their cellphone use and compared with a control group that had no brain tumors. It was not known from the outset how many people used cellphones and to what extent.

“There were individual publications of results, but this is the first time that the results of all the groups were summarized together,” said Sidetzky, noting that when data had been gathered as long ago as 2004 (and since analyzed), what was then considered “heavy” use is now considered minimal use. This is true especially in Israel, where cellphone use is very high and many children have their own phones. The results were to have been published five years ago, but were not because of disagreements on methodology and other matters.

Sidetzky said she had joined a new research effort funded by the European Union called MobiKids, in which children and teenagers diagnosed with malignant brain tumors would be studied for the next five years regarding their cellphone use, compared to that of a control group.

The researchers concluded that when cellphones are used 30 minutes or more a day for a decade, there is an elevated risk of brain tumors; the more they are used, the higher the risk. But the research was problematic, Sidetzky admitted, as between 30% and 60% of cancer patients declined to participate. Israeli patients were less likely to participate than others, although the reason could not be explained.

Surprisingly, among the cancer patients, cellphone use was actually connected with a lower risk of cancer, which Sidetzky attributed to “problems” in the study, such as measurements, as it was “impossible that using a cellphone could actually protect people against brain cancer. Presumably, there are underestimates of the real risk.”

it's a new one but the particular cancer they are reporting has a 25 year incubation so you'll probably be dead from something else by the time your cell phone kills you.

The story I saw said it was inconclusive. In other words no proof that cell phones caused cancer.

RGS, did you mention that you were in communications in the service or was that somebody else?

the freaking radio waves that are emitted from all manner of electronic appliances are a health hazard. you can't even go near bigger units like radar transmitters or cell phone towers for more than a few minutes without feeling the effects.

of course the study was inconclusive --- we wouldn't want the sheeple to stampede would we?

liberalism is what causes brain cancer, cases in point: truthmatters, zona, Chris, ravi.......

The story I saw said it was inconclusive. In other words no proof that cell phones caused cancer.

Yeah, I seen it too. However my personal opinion is that they do and years down the road it will be proven. What's important is that they make their money while they can. All I know is I feel it in my head when I am on the cell phone for long periods of time. I have no scientific proof of the brain tumor claim, but their is scientific proof that cell phones release radiation. You're better off with a headset without a doubt. I don't lay my cell phone next to me while I am sleeping either. I hope I am wrong. ~BH

Limit Your Exposure to Cell Phone Radiation | Environmental Working Group

Forum List

Back