Study: Over Half College Students Set iPods Too Loud

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Study: Over Half College Students Set iPods Too Loud - Buying Home Computer | Business Solution | Networking Home Computers - FOXNews.com

WASHINGTON — More than half of college students are at risk of permanent hearing lost from personal music players, according to a new study.

After asking a group of college students to listen to the rock song "Summer of 69" by Brian Adams on their iPods or other personal music players, researchers at the University of Southern Mississippi in Hattiesburg checked the volume of the devices and discovered that about 55 percent of current college students could eventually suffer permanent hearing loss.

“Fifty-five percent set their devices to 'very loud' levels (greater than 85 decibels),” the researchers said in a paper to be presented at an upcoming meeting of the Acoustical Society of America. Twenty-six percent set their devices to "loud" levels between 70 and 85 decibels, and only 19 percent listened at moderate levels below 70 decibels.

I tried to watch a video on this but for some reason I couldn't hear it. :eusa_eh:

Study: Over Half College Students Set iPods Too Loud - Buying Home Computer | Business Solution | Networking Home Computers - FOXNews.com

WASHINGTON — More than half of college students are at risk of permanent hearing lost from personal music players, according to a new study.

After asking a group of college students to listen to the rock song "Summer of 69" by Brian Adams on their iPods or other personal music players, researchers at the University of Southern Mississippi in Hattiesburg checked the volume of the devices and discovered that about 55 percent of current college students could eventually suffer permanent hearing loss.

“Fifty-five percent set their devices to 'very loud' levels (greater than 85 decibels),” the researchers said in a paper to be presented at an upcoming meeting of the Acoustical Society of America. Twenty-six percent set their devices to "loud" levels between 70 and 85 decibels, and only 19 percent listened at moderate levels below 70 decibels.

I tried to watch a video on this but for some reason I couldn't hear it. :eusa_eh:
I can vouch for that and they really like to do it in the library especially during finals week.

I can vouch for that and they really like to do it in the library especially during finals week.

So far it hasn't been too bad here I have to say. Least no one in class does it or anything. :lol:

Well it's no wonder they ain't learning anything.

They shouldn't even have those things in class... or the cell phones either. And for all the "But what if there's an emergency?" people. When I went to school, if there was an emergency, we could all use the one phone in the office. Don't tell me you need your cell phone during class! That's bullshit right there!

So far it hasn't been too bad here I have to say. Least no one in class does it or anything. :lol:
I have one prof who gave us a five minute lecture about using your cell phones and Ipods in class. In the library it is fair game. I don't think they should not allow you to have them but they should lay out some ground rules. I hate when some asshole in the desk next to me decides to have a ten minute conversation loud enough for everyone to hear.

I have one prof who gave us a five minute lecture about using your cell phones and Ipods in class. In the library it is fair game. I don't think they should not allow you to have them but they should lay out some ground rules. I hate when some asshole in the desk next to me decides to have a ten minute conversation loud enough for everyone to hear.

Same, I usually take my conversations outside or end them after a minute or two.

I don't use ipods or cell phones in class. Bunch of people use their laptop and screw around on that though. :lol:

What did you say??? I cant hear you... :lol:

Seriously- I believe this study. I am 32, female, and I like to walk for exercise. I follow a specific route, the safest, most well lit, with the heaviest traffic, but not a specific walking time every night- to be safe- anyways- This year, I started really getting that ringing in my ears..

I turned my MP3 down a bit..which has helped somewhat, but I wish that there was a place where you could gauge how loud (decibels) your music is..

Any insight? I need a hearing test for sure- I know where to get those, but I am procrastinating, because Im only friggin 32.. plus I got punched in the head a bunch of times in January, (I of course left the asshole, lol) so at first I thought it was permanent damage, since at first it lasted like 3-4 weeks AND REALLY bad. Then it got better, then worse, then better, and so on. Ugh.

Sorry- its a good thread- I am sincerely hoping that someone on here can provide some resource or advice on how to even begin looking for someone who can provide such a service. Thanks in advance, if you do respond. ;-)

I work for a hearing health charity in the UK. We have been campaigning for more information in the public domain regarding personal music devices, including MP3 players for a number of years now.

We feel if you love music you want t be able to enjoy it for as long as possible.

If you want to find out more information about how to listen to music while protecting your hearing at the same time have a look at our website. I can't post urls but if you are interested you can search for Don't Lose the Music.

We also have a free hearing check online. We want people to regularly check their hearing as they do with their eyesight and address a problem if they find there is one. You can check it for free on our homepage just search for RNID.

Let me know how you get on

Ash

They shouldn't even have those things in class... or the cell phones either. And for all the "But what if there's an emergency?" people. When I went to school, if there was an emergency, we could all use the one phone in the office. Don't tell me you need your cell phone during class! That's bullshit right there!

In the wake of the VT shooting my school implimented a text message system that alert students from anything to a school shooting to tornado warnings. But hey, I guess that one phone in the office should just have to suffice in cases of emergency...

A policy that allows college students in class to have cell phones on vibrate or silent is acceptable.

I used to keep my iPod's volume about 3/4's of the way up but I've changed that to about 1/4th of the way up as I've noticed over the past year that it's become more difficult for me to hear people.

I work for a hearing health charity in the UK. We have been campaigning for more information in the public domain regarding personal music devices, including MP3 players for a number of years now.

We feel if you love music you want t be able to enjoy it for as long as possible.

If you want to find out more information about how to listen to music while protecting your hearing at the same time have a look at our website. I can't post urls but if you are interested you can search for Don't Lose the Music.

We also have a free hearing check online. We want people to regularly check their hearing as they do with their eyesight and address a problem if they find there is one. You can check it for free on our homepage just search for RNID.

Let me know how you get on

Ash

Great- Thanks- I appreciate the tips!!! I will definitely check that out in the morning. =)

:eusa_angel:

In the wake of the VT shooting my school implimented a text message system that alert students from anything to a school shooting to tornado warnings. But hey, I guess that one phone in the office should just have to suffice in cases of emergency...
If it is a primary school (elementary through high) then they should have loudspeakers for such announcements, and I believe that may be what Elutherian referenced. College campuses are a different case, but how many students will check with the registrar every time they change their number? Some people use the same phone for years, but others change theirs regularly.

A policy that allows college students in class to have cell phones on vibrate or silent is acceptable.
They should set their phones to Voice mail when they go to class. There's a little thing called learning that works 'ever so much better' when the students pay attention to the instructor. An attitude that interruptions are acceptable filters through education majors to elementary students making primary education less effective.

I am so sad you are gone, E. :(

If it is a primary school (elementary through high) then they should have loudspeakers for such announcements, and I believe that may be what Elutherian referenced. College campuses are a different case, but how many students will check with the registrar every time they change their number? Some people use the same phone for years, but others change theirs regularly.

They should set their phones to Voice mail when they go to class. There's a little thing called learning that works 'ever so much better' when the students pay attention to the instructor. An attitude that interruptions are acceptable filters through education majors to elementary students making primary education less effective.

At my college all you had to do was sign up your phone number at the "Campus Safety" Office or online and that phone would recieve updates from the alert system. So if the person changes their number they would have to take some initiative but still hastle free.

Yeah, the topic was about college students so I was assuming that we would be talking about college students. As of 5 months ago I was a college student so I understand the whole listening to your professor thing kinda can pay off. But if a kid in college wants to neglect their education, not go to class, silently do other work in class, not listen to the professor, etc thats their prerogative. But interruptions that disturb those who acually want to learn shouldnt be tolerated. I had to deliver a couple lessons to political science classes in order to graduate. Someone's phone went off in the middle of my class; the consequence was I kicked them out of my lesson.

Forum List

Back