Study of gay brothers seeking genetic clues

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Kagom, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Study of gay brothers seeking genetic clues

By Lindsey Tanner
    The Associated Press
    Article Last Updated: 10/16/2007 12:28:20 AM MDT

CHICAGO — Julio and Mauricio Cabrera are gay brothers who are convinced their sexual orientation is as deeply rooted as their Mexican ancestry.

They are among 1,000 pairs of gay brothers taking part in the largest study to date seeking genes that may influence whether people are gay. The Cabreras hope the findings will help silence critics who say homosexuality is an immoral choice.

If fresh evidence is found suggesting genes are involved, perhaps homosexuality will be viewed as no different than other genetic traits like height and hair color, said Julio, a student at DePaul University here.

Adds his brother: "I think it would help a lot of folks understand us better."

The federally funded study, led by Chicago-area researchers, will rely on blood or saliva samples to help scientists search for genetic clues to the origins of homosexuality. Parents and straight brothers also are being recruited.

While initial results aren't expected until next year, skeptics are already attacking the methods and disputing the presumed results.

Previous studies have shown that sexual orientation tends to cluster in families, though that doesn't prove genetics is involved. Extended families may share similar child-rearing practices, religion and other beliefs that could also influence sexual orientation.

Dr. Alan Sanders of Evanston Northwestern Healthcare Research Institute, the lead researcher of the new study, said he suspects there isn't one so-called gay gene. It is more likely there are several genes that interact with nongenetic factors, including psychological and social influences, to determine sexual orientation, said Sanders, a psychiatrist.

Many gays fear that if gay genes are identified, it could result in discrimination, prenatal testing and even abortions to eliminate homosexuals, said Joel Ginsberg of the Gay and Lesbian Medical Association.

However, he added, "If we confirm that sexual orientation is an immutable characteristic, we are much more likely to get the courts to rule against discrimination."

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_7187607?source=rss

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Doug

Doug Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52
    This will be a huge flashpoint at some point in the future, since very few normal parents will want a homosexual child, and the Gay movement will look forward to a demographic spiral even worse than Europe's.

And then we shall see some strange bedfellows, so to speak, trying to pass a law outlawing "gay gene tests" and subsequent abortions: the Gay and Lesbian alliance marching hand in hand -- well, maybe they won't hold hands -- with the anti-abortionist fundamentalist Christians.

The ironies of politics!

3. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    indeed, whose to say it won't be the christians who find themselves in favor of abortion, or selective screenings of viable embryos, with planned parenthood?

4. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,005
    Already posted a link to this story and it was ignored by those who keep claiming it is genetic and proven to be so.

5. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    You posted a link? Sorry I didn't see it, dude. It's been a bit hectic on my end the past few days.

6. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,005
    Don't worry at least YOU got a response. They "its genetic" crowd ignored it in the other thread.

7. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    perhaps it's your warm, inviting personality that makes people flock to your threads, RGS....

8. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    I don’t really care if it is genetic or not. It is as insignificant as being left handed or right handed. I remember being reprimanded for using me left hand. A particular teacher tried and tried to get me to use my right hand. I think that with much more discipline and behavior modification (reward and punishment) I could become more accustomed to using my right hand. I might even grow to prefer using my right hand, but it did not turn out that way. I remain left handed. Is handedness genetic or choice? I don’t know and I think that it just does not matter.

9. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,005
    And are militant left handed people DEMANDING special rights? Special lawes just for them? The right to be break the law and be protected? Are there gaudy sex oriented parades by lefthanders having displays of public sex and forcing government employees to participate?

10. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Well this should be fun.

Please don't equate special rights with equal rights. Gays are not asking for ANYTHING that either straights or other discriminated groups don't enjoy.

Gays are NOT asking for the "right to break the law and be protected".

Gee...I wonder why parades flaunting ones SEXUAL orientation might be SEXUAL as opposed to parades flaunting ones left-handedness. Think you can figure it out RGS?

And as I said before, there aren't displays of public sex. But keep on with the lies.

As for forcing government employees to participate, that was once, and I highly doubt the gay community was behind her on that one. Since you assume if any one gay person does it the entire community does it, can I call Republicans child molestors? (Ah...the way things repeat themselves).