Study of gay brothers seeking genetic clues

Kagom

Jan 16, 2006
Vicksburg, MS
Study of gay brothers seeking genetic clues

By Lindsey Tanner
The Associated Press
Article Last Updated: 10/16/2007 12:28:20 AM MDT

CHICAGO — Julio and Mauricio Cabrera are gay brothers who are convinced their sexual orientation is as deeply rooted as their Mexican ancestry.

They are among 1,000 pairs of gay brothers taking part in the largest study to date seeking genes that may influence whether people are gay. The Cabreras hope the findings will help silence critics who say homosexuality is an immoral choice.

If fresh evidence is found suggesting genes are involved, perhaps homosexuality will be viewed as no different than other genetic traits like height and hair color, said Julio, a student at DePaul University here.

Adds his brother: "I think it would help a lot of folks understand us better."

The federally funded study, led by Chicago-area researchers, will rely on blood or saliva samples to help scientists search for genetic clues to the origins of homosexuality. Parents and straight brothers also are being recruited.

While initial results aren't expected until next year, skeptics are already attacking the methods and disputing the presumed results.

Previous studies have shown that sexual orientation tends to cluster in families, though that doesn't prove genetics is involved. Extended families may share similar child-rearing practices, religion and other beliefs that could also influence sexual orientation.

Dr. Alan Sanders of Evanston Northwestern Healthcare Research Institute, the lead researcher of the new study, said he suspects there isn't one so-called gay gene. It is more likely there are several genes that interact with nongenetic factors, including psychological and social influences, to determine sexual orientation, said Sanders, a psychiatrist.

Many gays fear that if gay genes are identified, it could result in discrimination, prenatal testing and even abortions to eliminate homosexuals, said Joel Ginsberg of the Gay and Lesbian Medical Association.

However, he added, "If we confirm that sexual orientation is an immutable characteristic, we are much more likely to get the courts to rule against discrimination."

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_7187607?source=rss

Many gays fear that if gay genes are identified, it could result in discrimination, prenatal testing and even abortions to eliminate homosexuals, said Joel Ginsberg of the Gay and Lesbian Medical Association.
This will be a huge flashpoint at some point in the future, since very few normal parents will want a homosexual child, and the Gay movement will look forward to a demographic spiral even worse than Europe's.

And then we shall see some strange bedfellows, so to speak, trying to pass a law outlawing "gay gene tests" and subsequent abortions: the Gay and Lesbian alliance marching hand in hand -- well, maybe they won't hold hands -- with the anti-abortionist fundamentalist Christians.

The ironies of politics!

indeed, whose to say it won't be the christians who find themselves in favor of abortion, or selective screenings of viable embryos, with planned parenthood?

You posted a link? Sorry I didn't see it, dude. It's been a bit hectic on my end the past few days.

perhaps it's your warm, inviting personality that makes people flock to your threads, RGS....

I don’t really care if it is genetic or not. It is as insignificant as being left handed or right handed. I remember being reprimanded for using me left hand. A particular teacher tried and tried to get me to use my right hand. I think that with much more discipline and behavior modification (reward and punishment) I could become more accustomed to using my right hand. I might even grow to prefer using my right hand, but it did not turn out that way. I remain left handed. Is handedness genetic or choice? I don’t know and I think that it just does not matter.

I don’t really care if it is genetic or not. It is as insignificant as being left handed or right handed. I remember being reprimanded for using me left hand. A particular teacher tried and tried to get me to use my right hand. I think that with much more discipline and behavior modification (reward and punishment) I could become more accustomed to using my right hand. I might even grow to prefer using my right hand, but it did not turn out that way. I remain left handed. Is handedness genetic or choice? I don’t know and I think that it just does not matter.

And are militant left handed people DEMANDING special rights? Special lawes just for them? The right to be break the law and be protected? Are there gaudy sex oriented parades by lefthanders having displays of public sex and forcing government employees to participate?

And are militant left handed people DEMANDING special rights? Special lawes just for them? The right to be break the law and be protected? Are there gaudy sex oriented parades by lefthanders having displays of public sex and forcing government employees to participate?

Well this should be fun.

Please don't equate special rights with equal rights. Gays are not asking for ANYTHING that either straights or other discriminated groups don't enjoy.

Gays are NOT asking for the "right to break the law and be protected".

Gee...I wonder why parades flaunting ones SEXUAL orientation might be SEXUAL as opposed to parades flaunting ones left-handedness. Think you can figure it out RGS?

And as I said before, there aren't displays of public sex. But keep on with the lies.

As for forcing government employees to participate, that was once, and I highly doubt the gay community was behind her on that one. Since you assume if any one gay person does it the entire community does it, can I call Republicans child molestors? (Ah...the way things repeat themselves).

Well this should be fun.

Please don't equate special rights with equal rights. Gays are not asking for ANYTHING that either straights or other discriminated groups don't enjoy.

Gays are NOT asking for the "right to break the law and be protected".

Gee...I wonder why parades flaunting ones SEXUAL orientation might be SEXUAL as opposed to parades flaunting ones left-handedness. Think you can figure it out RGS?

And as I said before, there aren't displays of public sex. But keep on with the lies.

As for forcing government employees to participate, that was once, and I highly doubt the gay community was behind her on that one. Since you assume if any one gay person does it the entire community does it, can I call Republicans child molestors? (Ah...the way things repeat themselves).

The only problem is Gays already have all the rights everyone else have. They are not in need of special laws. As to Marriage, they have the same exact rights as everyone else. They could have had civil unions if they had not put their foot down and insisted on marriage.

The only problem is Gays already have all the rights everyone else have. They are not in need of special laws.As to Marriage, they have the same exact rights as everyone else.

This is bullshit. Everyone else has the right to get married to the people they fall in love with. Gays don't.

They could have had civil unions if they had not put their foot down and insisted on marriage.

Really? Care to cite me where the state said "well we would have given you civil unions, if only you hadn't pushed for marriage". Ah wait they didn't, you are basically making this up.

It's typical liberal bullshit. They want to change the meaning of the word to suit themselves.

That's all it's about. It's about the definition of the word marriage, and the insistence of the left that they should be able to change it, to further integrate their own agenda into the collective psyche.

It's typical liberal bullshit. They want to change the meaning of the word to suit themselves.

That's all it's about. It's about the definition of the word marriage, and the insistence of the left that they should be able to change it, to further integrate their own agenda into the collective psyche.

Its not about the definition of the word marriage. You are oversimplifying things to the extreme.

Yes it is. Gays already have every other right, and it's not about the rights. It's about being able to change the word of marriage to include them.

As it stands, they DO have the same right that heteros have. They have the right to marry a person of the opposite sex. They just choose not to do it. But they still want to be "married". Unfortunately, marriage means to a person of the opposite sex.

So they stamp their feet and whine about not being included, and being "discriminated" against because the word doesn't include same sex couples.

Wah.

The truth is, they can attend churches which will marry them. The state recognizes that gays can live together and set up house together, own things together and obtain health care together.

But that's not enough. They want the state to change the meaning of the word "marriage" to include them as well.

That's all it is. It's not about rights. It's about the definition of a word they don't like.

Yes it is. Gays already have every other right, and it's not about the rights. It's about being able to change the word of marriage to include them.

Wow...are you seriously this ignorant?

As it stands, they DO have the same right that heteros have. They have the right to marry a person of the opposite sex. They just choose not to do it. But they still want to be "married". Unfortunately, marriage means to a person of the opposite sex.

Heterosexuals have the right to marry someone they fall in love with. Do gays have that right?

So they stamp their feet and whine about not being included, and being "discriminated" against because the word doesn't include same sex couples.

Wah.

Wow...you basically just made fun of a class of people because they object to being discriminated against.

The truth is, they can attend churches which will marry them.

Not state recognized churches.

The state recognizes that gays can live together and set up house together, own things together and obtain health care together.

Actually gays can't get on a partners healthcare unless it specifically provides for domestic partnership. Many don't. Marriage has financial and legal benefits that merely being housemates does not. Any particular reason you want to deny those to gays, or are you just a bigot?

But that's not enough. They want the state to change the meaning of the word "marriage" to include them as well.

Its not enough that the state allows them to live together? No, thats not enough. I know...they demand more than the state not beat and jail them for being homosexuals...damn uppity gays, right?

That's all it is. It's not about rights. It's about the definition of a word they don't like.

Incorrect. As always. But way to continue the trend.

You mean you haven't personally witnessed the outcry and demand for more left-handed monkeywrenches????I am truely surprised.DUH

BTW, it seems to matter quite a bit:

Left-handedness and intelligence

Some studies argue a correlation between left-handedness and creativity/intelligence.

In his book Right-Hand, Left-Hand,[27] Chris McManus of University College London, argues that the proportion of left-handers is rising and left-handed people as a group have historically produced an above-average quota of high achievers. He says that left-handers' brains are structured differently in a way that widens their range of abilities, and the genes that determine left-handedness also govern development of the language centers of the brain.

In Britain, a study in the 1970s found that around 11% of men and women aged 15-24 were left-handed, compared to just 3% in the 55-64 age category.[28] McManus suggests a number of factors that may be driving this increase:

Left-handers suffered severe prejudice during the 18th and 19th centuries and it was often "beaten out" of people
In adulthood, left-handers were often shunned by society, resulting in fewer marrying and reproducing
As prejudice declined in the 20th century, the number of natural left-handers who stayed left-handed increased
The rising age of motherhood contributed as, statistically, older mothers are more likely to give birth to left-handed children.
McManus says that the increase could produce a corresponding intellectual advance and a leap in the number of mathematical, sporting, or artistic geniuses.

In 2006, researchers at Lafayette College and Johns Hopkins University in a study found that left-handed men are 15% richer than right-handed men for those who attended college, and 26% richer if they graduated. The wage difference is still unexplainable and does not appear to apply to women. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-handed[29]
Moreover, if one identical twin is left handed, then there is a 76 percent chance that the other will be left handed. So left handedness is not entirely genetic. Left handed people seem to fall outside the bell curve (on both ends) with higher frequency than right handed people. For example, a higher percentage of left handed people are mentally ill than would be indicated by the overall percentage of left handed people in the general population. More males than females are left handed. Left handed people seem to have more "spatial" ability and are generally better at mathematics.

LRRTM1 is the first gene linked to increased odds of being left-handed[1]. The researchers also claim that possessing this gene slightly raises the risk of psychotic mental illnesses such as schizophrenia[2]. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LRRTM1
There is a difference between left handedness and left sidedness. Many people are only partially left handed; using the left hand for fine motor skills such as writing and eating but using the right hand for most other activities. Lefties include Michelangelo, Leonardo Da Vinci, Pablo Picasso, Pieter Rubens, Raphael, Bach, Bob Dylan, Mozart, Albert Einstein, Bill Clinton, Bill Gates, Billy the Kid, Fidel Castro, Gerald Ford, Harpo Marx, Jimi Hendrix, John McEnroe, Keanu Reeves, Kermit the Frog, M.C. Escher, Marilyn Monroe, Mark Twain, Napoleon Bonaparte, Neil Armstrong, Norman Schwarzkopf, Robert DeNiro, Robert Redford, Tom Cruise, and Bart Simpson.

Forum List

Back