Study Links Low I.Q. To Prejudice, Racism, Conservatism

nat4900

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2015
In light of the right wingers' anger in the SCOTUS' recent decisions, here's a possible explanation. NOTE: I DO NOT believe that all right wingers have low IQs, but I DO believe that most people with low IQs tend to be ultra conservatives.

Are racists dumb? Do conservatives tend to be less intelligent than liberals? A provocative new study from Brock University in Ontario suggests the answer to both questions may be a qualified yes. The study, published in Psychological Science, showed that people who score low on I.Q. tests in childhood are more likely to develop prejudiced beliefs and socially conservative politics in adulthood.

I.Q., a score determined by standardized tests, but whether the tests truly reveal intelligence remains a topic of hot debate among psychologists. Dr. Gordon Hodson, a professor of psychology at the university and the study's lead author, said the finding represented evidence of a vicious cycle: People of low intelligence gravitate toward socially conservative ideologies, which stress resistance to change and, in turn, prejudice, he told
LiveScience.

Why might less intelligent people be drawn to conservative ideologies? Because such ideologies feature "structure and order" that make it easier to comprehend a complicated world, Dodson said. "Unfortunately, many of these features can also contribute to prejudice," he added.

Dr. Brian Nosek, a University of Virginia psychologist, echoed those sentiments. "Reality is complicated and messy. Ideologies get rid of the messiness and impose a simpler solution. So, it may not be surprising that people with less cognitive capacity will be attracted to simplifying ideologies."

LOL,

So living in the ghetto, living around people that kill at 10 times per capita and ignoring stats = intelligence.

lol!!!!

Having a strong family = being stupid
Staying with your children = being stupid
Being around sane and good people = being stupid.

This study is stupid.

Uh huh.

I'm sure there's no bias in this OP.

• Banned
So living in the ghetto, living around people that kill at 10 times per capita and ignoring stats = intelligence.

lol!!!!

This study is stupid.

Take it up with the study's authors....But you might want to check out the meanings of such terms as : IDEOLOGIES, and COGNITIVE CAPACITIES.

This is the only reason Faux News still exists.

It is easy to fool 25% of almost any population, and fool them all the time.

• Banned

Oh, there is. no doubt......However, witnessing the abject anger of conservatives over the SC decisions and interpreting them to be tantamount to the world ending, such folks surely validate the study's findings.

That study was done in Ontario...which was settled by the French. There hasn't been a Frenchman who wasn't a Pinhead and a Pussy since the Normans conquered England and moved there to get away from the Pinheads and Pussys.

Give me 48 hours and I will get you a report out of Mississippi that says just the opposite of what the one in Ontario said...and it will be just as reliable.

In light of the right wingers' anger in the SCOTUS' recent decisions, here's a possible explanation. NOTE: I DO NOT believe that all right wingers have low IQs, but I DO believe that most people with low IQs tend to be ultra conservatives.

Are racists dumb? Do conservatives tend to be less intelligent than liberals? A provocative new study from Brock University in Ontario suggests the answer to both questions may be a qualified yes. The study, published in Psychological Science, showed that people who score low on I.Q. tests in childhood are more likely to develop prejudiced beliefs and socially conservative politics in adulthood.

I.Q., a score determined by standardized tests, but whether the tests truly reveal intelligence remains a topic of hot debate among psychologists. Dr. Gordon Hodson, a professor of psychology at the university and the study's lead author, said the finding represented evidence of a vicious cycle: People of low intelligence gravitate toward socially conservative ideologies, which stress resistance to change and, in turn, prejudice, he told
LiveScience.

Why might less intelligent people be drawn to conservative ideologies? Because such ideologies feature "structure and order" that make it easier to comprehend a complicated world, Dodson said. "Unfortunately, many of these features can also contribute to prejudice," he added.

Dr. Brian Nosek, a University of Virginia psychologist, echoed those sentiments. "Reality is complicated and messy. Ideologies get rid of the messiness and impose a simpler solution. So, it may not be surprising that people with less cognitive capacity will be attracted to simplifying ideologies."
I dont believe that IQ can be measured but this does not surprise me at all. This is just another confirmation of common belief. Very few extreme rights are intelligent.

LiveScience.

I see prejudiced inner city folks here in Chicago all the time.
They drop out of school at a frighteningly high rate. They aren't very bright.
I didn't realize they were conservatives.

Oh, there is. no doubt......However, witnessing the abject anger of conservatives over the SC decisions and interpreting them to be tantamount to the world ending, such folks surely validate the study's findings.

First, consider this.

Intellect is independent of ideological thought.

Intelligence is the acquisition and application of knowledge and skills, how quickly you absorb and utilize information.

You and I both know that there are many idiots and geniuses on both sides of this political, American spectrum.

If I were you, I would not even consider attaching 'intelligence' to this mainstream ideology or that one.

Instead, I would point my fingers at the zealous, partisan fools who are both for and against these inflammatory issues.

You have smart and dumb liberals and conservatives. One aspect of being dumb is not thinking for yourself and gullibly lapping up the propaganda you hear, and regurgitating it point for point. I think for myself; there is a reason why I don't like the Right and the Left.

LiveScience.

I see prejudiced inner city folks here in Chicago all the time.
They drop out of school at a frighteningly high rate. They aren't very bright.
I didn't realize they were conservatives.
I didnt realize dropping out of school had anything to do with intelligence. I think someone mentioned you guys never quite grasp what you are talking about.

Give me 48 hours and I will get you a report out of Mississippi that says just the opposite of what the one in Ontario said...and it will be just as reliable.

Knock yourself out.....Here's a bit to ponder, however:

In recently released rankings of how states' primary education systems are preparing students for careers in engineering, Massachusetts, Minnesota and New Jersey top the list. Mississippi trails as the worst in the country, following West Virginia and Louisiana.

That study was done in Ontario...which was settled by the French. There hasn't been a Frenchman who wasn't a Pinhead and a Pussy since the Normans conquered England and moved there to get away from the Pinheads and Pussys.

That's Quebec, idiot. The Normans were French lol...

LOL,

lol!!!!

This study is stupid.
As if cons do that stuff more than libs...lol.

You have smart and dumb liberals and conservatives. One aspect of being dumb is not thinking for yourself and gullibly lapping up the propaganda you hear, and regurgitating it point for point. I think for myself; there is a reason why I don't like the Right and the Left.

Oh, I quite agree and if you read my preamble of my O/P, you'd see that I concur. For example, I downright hate Antonin Scalia's ideology, but I consider him to be of brilliant intellect.

Forum List

Back