Study: Dental painkillers may put young people at risk of opioid addiction

Anybody can get addicted to opioids if they abuse them. It's not rocket science. I was recently prescribed hydrocodone because I came down with Shingles over Thanksgiving (and I'm only in my 30s!) and I the only time I took one was at night when I went to bed because the pain made it hard to sleep. I still have some left I didn't use. Those pills help people in need when used responsibly. This whole opioid paranoia is just the latest government overreaction to a problem that doctors should be dealing with, not a bunch of ignorant politicians.

Overdose deaths are by a vast majority, from illegal drugs, not prescription medications.

Turns out my daughter was right for not wanting to go to the dentist when she was little.

Oh, please, mild prescription painkillers are getting so over-demonized because of spoiled, pussified millenials who can't control themselves when they eventually get cut off. Because their parents never told them no and they can't deal with a sudden cessation of something that feels good.

I know from experience. I've never done heroin or even Oxycontin in my life, and in my life I was understandably addicted to Vicodin on a few different long-term occasions in my 20s when my teeth were constantly disintegrating and falling out (due to my idiotic, massive methamphetamine habit in my early 20s), requiring regular extraction surgery and 24/7 agony in my jaws. Have you ever had tooth pain so bad it achieves that bizarre hot/cold electrical quality, that crackles up and down your head? That's how bad it was and I was taking up to 12-14 Vicodins a day (chased with a drink or two) over a long time. It was actually a blessing in disguise because around the turn of the century I got fitted with full dentures that looked and functioned far better than my real teeth ever did (which are in the same 27 club as Janis and Morrison).

My point being: prescription opiates like Vicodin have the shortest, most forgiving withdrawal of any addictive drug. After only a week, maybe 10 days, I'd feel mostly normal again and my cravings would be faded away to occasional nostalgia. What kind of weak, whimpering, namby-pamby sissy would be unable to deal with such a relatively merciful withdrawal and need to move on to street heroin to deal with what is essentially just a pain in the ass? I'm just as sickened when I hear of a celebrity having INPATIENT PROFESSIONAL TREATMENT for a Vicodin addiction???? What a soft, delicate, spoiled little baby who can't deal with the slightest discomfort on his own!

No shit , some of it taste like cocaine.

Do what I do crush up a plain asprin and put it right on the tooth

Oh, please, mild prescription painkillers are getting so over-demonized because of spoiled, pussified millenials who can't control themselves when they eventually get cut off. Because their parents never told them no and they can't deal with a sudden cessation of something that feels good.

I know from experience. I've never done heroin or even Oxycontin in my life, and in my life I was understandably addicted to Vicodin on a few different long-term occasions in my 20s when my teeth were constantly disintegrating and falling out (due to my idiotic, massive methamphetamine habit in my early 20s), requiring regular extraction surgery and 24/7 agony in my jaws. Have you ever had tooth pain so bad it achieves that bizarre hot/cold electrical quality, that crackles up and down your head? That's how bad it was and I was taking up to 12-14 Vicodins a day (chased with a drink or two) over a long time. It was actually a blessing in disguise because around the turn of the century I got fitted with full dentures that looked and functioned far better than my real teeth ever did (which are in the same 27 club as Janis and Morrison).

My point being: prescription opiates like Vicodin have the shortest, most forgiving withdrawal of any addictive drug. After only a week, maybe 10 days, I'd feel mostly normal again and my cravings would be faded away to occasional nostalgia. What kind of weak, whimpering, namby-pamby sissy would be unable to deal with such a relatively merciful withdrawal and need to move on to street heroin to deal with what is essentially just a pain in the ass? I'm just as sickened when I hear of a celebrity having INPATIENT PROFESSIONAL TREATMENT for a Vicodin addiction???? What a soft, delicate, spoiled little baby who can't deal with the slightest discomfort on his own!

I posted this story before when my tooth hurt so bad I took out my Leatherman pliers and ripped it out of my mouth , drinking straight up vodka

I posted this story before when my tooth hurt so bad I took out my Leatherman pliers and ripped it out of my mouth , drinking straight up vodka

No insurance?

It's the anesthetic effects of the vodka that allowed you to do it, although I'm sure you already knew that. When I used to have real teeth, taking Vicodin with a drink and then rubbing the tooth with a local anesthetic ending with -caine (xylocaine, lidocaine, etc.) was what seemed to do the job of making that damaged tooth seem mellow and cozy.

No insurance?

To cheap

It's the anesthetic effects of the vodka that allowed you to do it, although I'm sure you already knew that. When I used to have real teeth, taking Vicodin with a drink and then rubbing the tooth with a local anesthetic ending with -caine (xylocaine, lidocaine, etc.) was what seemed to do the job of making that damaged tooth seem mellow and cozy.

Why didn't you use real cocaine ?.you were already smoking meth.

Anyways my plain bare asprin trick works wonders, just crush it up and put it directly on the tooth

I haven't seen a dentist since ... late 1980s. Never saw the need. I'm lucky to have solid teeth.

Also, I didn't brush too much. Only once a day before bed. I told various people how their obsessive brushing was rubbing all their tooth enamel away. And there is some truth to that. Acidic foods soften enamel, so brushing shortly after eating is a bad thing to do.

Study: Dental painkillers may put young people at risk of opioid addiction

This is terrifying. Parents should never have to fear that their children could become addicted to opioids for simply getting their wisdom teeth removed.

This is bullshit in my opinion. I had a couple of wisdom teeth extracted, the dentist gave me some Vikes and I didn't become a junkie.

The idea is to take them as prescribed, don't grind them up and mainline them in liquid form.

Forum List

Back