Study: Brain Scans Diagnose PTSD With 90 Percent Accuracy

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by proletarian, Jan 26, 2010.

1. ☭proletarian☭

☭proletarian☭ Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Study: Brain Scans Diagnose PTSD With 90 Percent Accuracy | 80beats | Discover Magazine

2. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    I had posted this to my PTSD awareness group when I first read this a couple days ago. I was very happy to see some sort of progress being made possibly. What they need to do now is to expand the trial run. Otherwise they truly won't know if the results are accurate.

3. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,889
    No cure for PTSD, but it can be managed...
    :confused:
    Panelists say post-traumatic stress disorder can't be cured, can only be managed
    April 24, 2013 : There is no way to cure post-traumatic stress disorder, but those suffering from it can learn to manage it, health professionals said Tuesday night.
    See also:

VA to target claims older than one year
    April 24, 2013 - A local veterans organization is skeptical about a recent decision by the Department of Veterans Affairs target claims older than a year for completion by 2015. Veterans whose claims fall in that time frame will be given a provisional rating and will have one year after receiving the rating to provide additional information before the VA issues a final decision.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  4. waltky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,889
    PTSD rejected as a defense for murder...
    :eusa_eh:
    Jury rejects PTSD defense in Army veteran's murder trial
    August 10, 2013 — Eileen Garnreiter wanted to break up with her boyfriend.

5. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    PTSDis what my partner apparently suffers from its a bizarre tale..probably in some ways worse than combat..her father stabled her in the heart when she was 5 in a schizophrenic episode he spent 5 yrs in a mental hospital and on his release..he returned and became the childrens main care-giver.. her mother went to work in the city only returning on week-ends , he moved the whole family out to the sticks because of his paranoia and they lived like it was the 1800s in tents for years only well water no showers..wood stoves..outhouse.. while he slowly built a house..she lived everyday wondering if he would snap..she was befriended by a preacher when she was 14 who would bring out food take her to church ..let her use the shower there..he was murdered and her father was the main suspect but never charged...she left home at 19 some how she graduated on the honor roll ..her father just completed the house as she was leaving .. ten years later he phones trying to get her to come for a visit but I talked her out of it the next day he shot and wounded her mother and brother...and ended up back in a mental hospital..he was only in there a month and was released and returned home to his wife and son !..while awaiting trial on attempted murder..he was found not guilt by reason of insanity again...then a year later the police call..question her about the murder that took place with the preacher when she was 14 ..apparently her father said something about it while he was in the mental hospital but its not admissible as a confession because he was certified as insane at the time and they wanted to know if he ever discussed while 'sane" so in many ways this trauma has gone on for a lifetime .I have a lot of sympathy for it but I sure wish there was something that could help her with her panic and anxiety

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  6. waltky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,889
    Changing attitudes on repressing combat trauma while deployed...
    :cool:
    Downrange, no longer suffering the code of silence
    August 22, 2013 > PTSD’s prevalence changes attitudes on repressing combat trauma while deployed

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  7. waltky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,889
    Traumatic Brain Injury linked to early death risk...
    :eusa_eh:
    Moderate to severe TBI linked to increased risk of early death
    January 15, 2014 ~ People who survive six months or longer after suffering traumatic brain injuries continue to remain at risk for premature death long after their injury, according to a study published Wednesday by the American Medical Association.
    See also:

VA eases rules for claims on some TBI-related health problems
    December 16, 2013 WASHINGTON — Veterans Affairs officials are easing disability filing rules for brain injured veterans with additional combat complications like depression, dementia or Parkinson’s disease.
    Related:

Stars and Stripes' coverage of traumatic brain injury (TBI)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014