Studio Time

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
So our jazz group won the grand prize in a talent contest recently. One of our prizes was six hours of studio time, which is coming up in June. This is a first for me. Anyone here ever record in a professional studio before? Any hints for this newbie?

gop_jeff said:
So our jazz group won the grand prize in a talent contest recently. One of our prizes was six hours of studio time, which is coming up in June. This is a first for me. Anyone here ever record in a professional studio before? Any hints for this newbie?
I'll sic Mm on you. He's played longer than you are old.

Build a sandcastle in there and start taking lots and lots of anti-psychotic medication.

What? That's what Brian Wilson did when he made Pet Sounds! :tng:

Congratulations, Jeff! That rules!

So, are you guys going to cut a promotional demo, or are you thinking more along the lines of a CD to market by yourselves - like at gigs and stuff?

First off, I'd say be ready for the fact that set-up, level check, and mix-down are going to eat up a good bit of those six hours, so set your goals accordingly. Go ahead and meet with whoever's going to produce the session, and discuss what you can realistically accomplish in the allotted time. What the heck - you may collectively decide that six hours is just a good running start - depending on your goals and your budget.

With all that decided, choose your strongest material and rehearse it until it's second nature. If you can give me some more of the details - either here or in a PM - I'll be glad to offer any help I can.

I'm stoked, Jeff! I think you'll find the studio environment is a gas!

musicman said:
Congratulations, Jeff! That rules!

So, are you guys going to cut a promotional demo, or are you thinking more along the lines of a CD to market by yourselves - like at gigs and stuff?

First off, I'd say be ready for the fact that set-up, level check, and mix-down are going to eat up a good bit of those six hours, so set your goals accordingly. Go ahead and meet with whoever's going to produce the session, and discuss what you can realistically accomplish in the allotted time. What the heck - you may collectively decide that six hours is just a good running start - depending on your goals and your budget.

With all that decided, choose your strongest material and rehearse it until it's second nature. If you can give me some more of the details - either here or in a PM - I'll be glad to offer any help I can.

I'm stoked, Jeff! I think you'll find the studio environment is a gas!

MM, we've cut a promo CD (though I have yet to get copies from the sound guy) of three songs, recorded live in our church. This will be a 10 track CD for us to sell at gigs.

Really, I'm worried about nerves. I get nervous (still) playing in front of larger crowds, especially outside of church. I guess that's my biggest fear - that I'll totally screw up my parts because I'll be nervous about getting it right the first time, because time is money in a studio, etc.etc.

gop_jeff said:
Sorry... I have yet to get a quality recording. We recorded a live CD for Christmas, but the mix was horrible.

Yeah - the mixdown is as important as any note you hit in the studio. Unfortunately, it's also time-consuming. The guy who's doing my CD says to allow - at a bare-bones minimum - a half hour per song for mixdown.

gop_jeff said:
MM, we've cut a promo CD (though I have yet to get copies from the sound guy) of three songs, recorded live in our church. This will be a 10 track CD for us to sell at gigs.

Really, I'm worried about nerves. I get nervous (still) playing in front of larger crowds, especially outside of church. I guess that's my biggest fear - that I'll totally screw up my parts because I'll be nervous about getting it right the first time, because time is money in a studio, etc.etc.

IMO, if you don't feel "butterflies" before a big performance or recording, you're just not alive! What I find helpful in keeping myself settled down is focusing on my rig - getting all the details of my setup (and for a drummer, there are LOTS of details) just right; working on tuning and tone; making sure there are no physical, methodological obstacles to my finding "the zone". I like to get to a venue early, so that I can get myself into the swing of things - spiritually - in an easy, relaxed way. Nothing upsets me worse than running late, and feeling like I've been shot out of a cannon.

Then, once I get going, I start reaping the benefits of preparedness - if, in fact, I AM well-prepared - LOL! When I know an arrangement COLD, it's almost as if my bandmates and I are in a safe, happy place. That's when the fun begins!

Well, we recorded on Saturday. Laid down 10 songs in about six hours time! It was a whirlwind. The vocalists went back yesterday to record their parts, and they are mixing on Tuesday. CD's will probably be out in about a month.

Lots of fun, but man, was I drained afterwards. Had to drink a beer to celebrate and calm the nerves!! :D

Ten tunes in six hours - egad! You guys must have left a vapor trail!

Congrats, Jeff! I can't wait to hear the finished product. Keep us posted, buddy!

Forum List

Back