Students Will Stay After School 20 Minutes Each Day to Make Up For Teacher Sick-Outs

Just a couple of quick questions...Who on this Board will be receiving a fully paid Week off for Easter/Spring Break? Who on this Board will be receiving a fully paid entire Summer off this year? Just curious. Thanks.

I thought salaries for teachers did go up?

Our teachers haven't had a raise for 3-years, however prices have increased for goods and services so purchasing power has actually decreased. As a matter fact each of those years has seen an increase in the employee contribution to health insurance and last year every one in the division took a pay cut.

how will a teachers salary change what goes on in the classroom?

Over the long term when education is considered a desirable field. Then more college students enter the profession. More students means more graduates, more graduates means more applicants. When you have a higher number of applicants as a Principal you have a greater opportunity to hire a well performing individual instead of hiring a person with lower potential just because you have to put a body in the classroom and no one else has applied.

Few people are willing to put in the amount of time and education it takes to become a teacher for the PAY teachers receive...which is FAR below what someone of comparable education makes in the private sector. Salaries for teachers should be at the same level or HIGHER than someone in the private sector with a comparable education. Finland recruits their teachers from the top 5-10 percent of graduates from each year. They get the best and brightest to teach in schools...something most countries don't.

Ok so paying teachers more will attract more applicants and a better pool to choose from, I can understand that, so if a pay raise is needed how much should it be? if this is whats holding us back, why not do it?

The USA is falling behind more and more every year. The unions have created a corrupt, rotten, maggot infested slush fund for demorat politicians with our money that is meant for education. Time for "change".
It's interestingly, that Wisconsin with it's overpaid teachers and corrupt teachers union is producing kids with the second highest ACT scores in the country.

Best and Worst States: State SAT Scores 2009

You don't get more "uniony" than Finland and they consistently outperform the United States.

Just a couple of quick questions...Who on this Board will be receiving a fully paid Week off for Easter/Spring Break? Who on this Board will be receiving a fully paid entire Summer off this year? Just curious. Thanks.

Who on this board works for hours after work hours without pay? When you compare the salaries and benefits of a private sector worker to a teacher, the teacher is paid considerably less than an equally educated private sector worker even when you take into account the "vacations" they get.

The Teacher Unions are even too dumb to update their propaganda. Yea how many years are we going to hear that "We don't have enough money for books & pencils" shit? That stuff is so old & stale. They have enough cash to purchase Thousands of Computers for classrooms all across the country but they don't have enough cash to purchase books & pencils? Yea something just doesn't sound right with that stuff. Public Schools rake in $Billions in Tax Dollars. The money is there. It's not the money. Teachers need to stop with the "Woe is Me" shit and just do their jobs. People are sick of all their whiny excuses. They have a job to do. It's time for them to get to work.

I've heard the "we don't have enough money for books and pencils" since I was in Grade School.

Standard Teacher Union propaganda. A few years ago i saw a local news report where the reporter was interviewing a Teacher who was whining about how they didn't have enough money for basic supplies. But when you looked over her shoulder you could clearly see several rows of brand new Computers. So they had all that cash to purchase dozens of new Computers but didn't have enough cash to purchase books & pencils? I just had to laugh and change the channel. Same ole same ole coming from the usual suspects. I really do support removing Public Unions from Government. I especially feel this way about Teacher Unions.

why should the kids make up time that the TEACHERS made them miss...

Wisconsin State Legislature
Wisconsin Statute 121.02(1)(f)2.

2. Annually, schedule at least 437 hours of direct pupil instruction in kindergarten, at least 1,050 hours of direct pupil instruction in grades 1 to 6 and at least 1,137 hours of direct pupil instruction in grades 7 to 12. Scheduled hours under this subdivision include recess and time for pupils to transfer between classes but do not include the lunch period.​

That's why the time has to be made up.

>>>>

Yep,, but it wouldn't have to be made up if the teachers taught instead of involving themselves in political hysterics on the taxpayer's dime.

Who on this board works for hours after work hours without pay? When you compare the salaries and benefits of a private sector worker to a teacher, the teacher is paid considerably less than an equally educated private sector worker even when you take into account the "vacations" they get.

Sounds like more excuses and deflection to me. :eusa_hand:

Just another quick question...Who on this Board received fully paid several Weeks off for the Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Year Holidays?

So most public schools have excellent teachers? LOL Bullshit.:eusa_liar:
Actually they do. They just don't have enough of them and there're not likely to anytime in the near future.

......and, with unions in charge, when there is a lay off of teachers, by union contract they don't lay off the worse teachers and keep the best. Instead it only goes by seniority.
Without an objective criterion for judging teachers, the game would be totally rigged in favor of younger, less expensive teachers. Young energetic teachers in their first few years are rarely our best teachers. In fact, half of them will resign in the first 5 years.

Last edited:
Just another quick question...Who on this Board received fully paid several Weeks off for the Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Year Holidays?

Teachers are paid a contract for instructional days, Easter/Spring Break, Thanksgiving, Christmast, New Years and Summer are not instructional days so they don't get paid for them.

For example our teacher contract is 200 days. They do not earn vacation. On the other hand I'm a 12-month employee paid a salary for 40 hours a week 52 weeks a year. I do earn vacation.

The difference is that I earn more in a year then most teachers, however their daily rate may be higher.

>>>>

Last edited:
why should the kids make up time that the TEACHERS made them miss...

Wisconsin State Legislature
Wisconsin Statute 121.02(1)(f)2.

2. Annually, schedule at least 437 hours of direct pupil instruction in kindergarten, at least 1,050 hours of direct pupil instruction in grades 1 to 6 and at least 1,137 hours of direct pupil instruction in grades 7 to 12. Scheduled hours under this subdivision include recess and time for pupils to transfer between classes but do not include the lunch period.​

That's why the time has to be made up.

>>>>

Yep,, but it wouldn't have to be made up if the teachers taught instead of involving themselves in political hysterics on the taxpayer's dime.

You asked why they had to make up the time, that is the answer.

I know you won't agree, but blame as to WHY the days were missed can be equally shared. The teachers had already agreed to the pension and health insurance increases which is what had a budget impact. However Walker (Republican) contributed with legislation specifically to cripple the Unions which traditionally supported Democrats.

Blame can go to both.

>>>>

The Military does.

Teachers work 180 days a year.
Compare that to the average worker who works 220 days a year

Teachers are mandated to be on school grounds from 8-4 with a 42 minute lunch and at least one 42 minute free period...working 6.5 hours
Compare that to the average worker who is mandated to be at work 8:30-5:30 with an hour lunch and two 15 minute breaks....working 7.5 hours

So that being said...

Teachers work 1170 hours a year

The average worker works 1650 hours a year

a difference of about 480 hours a year

Spread that over the 180 days they work and that is about 2 hours and 40 minutes a day that they need to work at night to work equal hours to the average worker.

And that is assuming the average worker doesnt ALSO have to work at night.

And that is a very lame assumption....as one who is equally educated to a teacher is likely working late nioghts as well....thus why the higher salaries.....

Instead of spewing crap you know nothing about, I suggest you first do the math.

Teachers are paid a contract for instructional days, Easter/Spring Break, Thanksgiving, Christmast, New Years and Summer are not instructional days so they don't get paid for them.

For example our teacher contract is 200 days. They do not earn vacation. On the other hand I'm a 12-month employee paid a salary for 40 hours a week 52 weeks a year. I do earn vacation.

The difference is that I earn more in a year then most teachers, however their daily rate may be higher.

>>>>

Thanks for the info. Still a pretty sweet deal. All Weekends Off,Several Weeks of Holiday Time Off,and Entire Summers off? That sounds pretty unbelievable to most other American Workers. I'm sure Teacher pay could be better but who in America doesn't think they deserve more money? Teachers are not alone in that thinking. I think they receive some pretty nice perks yet all you hear is whining & complaining from them. It would be nice to hear them talk about the positives in their job once and awhile. You just don't see Teachers doing that very often. It's all negative complaining. Compared to most other American Workers,Teachers have it pretty nice. It's time for them to stop all the "Woe is Me" stuff. Enough is enough.

The Military does.

Yes they do. We did get pretty good vacation though...30 days paid a year and UNLIMITED sick leave. Also had no cost share for our health benefits. Pretty sweet deal!

So most public schools have excellent teachers? LOL Bullshit.:eusa_liar:

No, true shit. Most public schools DO have excellent teachers. Bad teachers ARE the exception to the rule and unions don't prevent schools from getting rid of bad teachers, you just have be diligent in documenting poor teacher performance. These rules also help good teachers not be targeted by bad administrators.

Well our public schools do poorly compared to other industrialized nations so I don't know what the problem is, if there are alot of excellent teachers like you say this shouldn't be the case no?
Regarding that comparison, it makes good talking points for left and right but the real truth is ignored. Most of the countries such as China administers high school entrance exams. Students that do not get a high score are funneled into vocational schools. Of course schools that eliminate the weaker students will have better scores.

In most of these countries, the kids spend a lot more hours in class. Student are punished for not doing their work. Education is treated more as a privilege than a right.

Lower test scores are not the fault of our teachers or even the unions. The fault lies with those that are most interested in keeping taxes low and parents who believe their child should be able to graduate from high school regardless of their capabilities.

>>>>

Thanks for the info. Still a pretty sweet deal. All Weekends Off,Several Weeks of Holiday Time Off,and Entire Summers off? That sounds pretty unbelievable to most other American Workers. I'm sure Teacher pay could be better but who in America doesn't think they deserve more money? Teachers are not alone in that thinking. I think they receive some pretty nice perks yet all you hear is whining & complaining from them. It would be nice to hear them talk about the positives in their job once and awhile. You just don't see Teachers doing that very often. It's all negative complaining. Compared to most other American Workers,Teachers have it pretty nice. It's time for them to stop all the "Woe is Me" stuff. Enough is enough.

They have every right to "whine and complain" when they are constantly under attack by people who see them as "bloated government workers" for pete's sake! On what planet is the salary and compensation a teacher makes "bloated"?

Forum List

Back