students who couldn't wear usa flag tshirts are suing!

Agreed. Can't believe the school didn't even fire the Principal.

GilroyDispatch.com | Families of Live Oak students sue school district over Cinco de Mayo incident

This is will be very interesting. hope the school and principal get smacked back into reality

9 times out of 10 I'd put more trust in school authorities than 17 year-olds when it comes to determining what is and isn't an acceptable message being expressed on clothing. I see this as the 1 out of 10 since I believe the school officials brought this one on themselves IF they encouraged the wearing of Mexican flag colors. If they didn't, I'd give the school officials a break since the safety of the student body is their concern, not mine.

Last edited:
my2¢;2444341 said:
GilroyDispatch.com | Families of Live Oak students sue school district over Cinco de Mayo incident

This is will be very interesting. hope the school and principal get smacked back into reality

9 times out of 10 I'd put more trust in school authorities than 17 year-olds when it comes to determining what is and isn't an acceptable message being expressed on clothing. I see this as the 1 out of 10 since I believe the school officials brought this one on themselves IF they encouraged the wearing of Mexican flag colors. If they didn't, I'd give the school officials a break since the safety of the student body is their concern, not mine.

Hey stupid, these kids were told thay could wear the shirts ANYDAY except this day. If the shirts were acceptable on May 4th and May 6th then why the fuck are they not acceptable on May 5th? The mexicans were allowed to wear shirts depicting the mexican flag but the other kids couldn't wear a shirt depicting the US flag. If you don't see the problem with that picture then you are as stupid as Zona and Ravi. Just what country do they or you think this is?

Good for them. They will win and without the help of the ACLU.

The ACLU would have been all over this had mexicans been sent home for wearing a mexican flag shirt.

Google is your friend (especially when it helps prevent you from making an ass of yourself). :thup:

Re: Live Oak High School censorship on May 5, 2010

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
the hitler youth can wear them all year long, the school should be able to reign them in to prevent violence that one day.

the hitler youth can wear them all year long, the school should be able to reign them in to prevent violence that one day.

No evidence of hitler youth or violence resulting from wearing patriotic clothing in this case. These kids are going to win the suit. Unfortunately, the school will settle out of court, so we will not get a Supreme COurt ruling on this.

Good for them. They will win and without the help of the ACLU.

The ACLU would have been all over this had mexicans been sent home for wearing a mexican flag shirt.

Google is your friend (especially when it helps prevent you from making an ass of yourself). :thup:

Re: Live Oak High School censorship on May 5, 2010

The article made no mention of the ACLU that I saw. And no I didn't google the story to find out if the ACLU got involved. But I suppose sending a letter when they usually send a team of lawyers is par for the course.

I will never understand this mentality other than that it's greed. If these parents have a problem with the principal then get him fired, many ways to do that. Don't bankrupt the school district!!

The school district has no money, the entire state is broke.

I remember when I was sent home from high school after wearing this shirt on St. Patrick's Day.

gb1.jpg

I sued the school and won...and now I own the school.

Owning a high school is not all it's cracked up to be. It actually sucks!

my2¢;2444341 said:

if someone faces violence for wearing an american flag shirt then there is a problem but it doesn't lie with the person wearing the shirt

my2¢;2444341 said:

Hey stupid, these kids were told thay could wear the shirts ANYDAY except this day. If the shirts were acceptable on May 4th and May 6th then why the fuck are they not acceptable on May 5th? The mexicans were allowed to wear shirts depicting the mexican flag but the other kids couldn't wear a shirt depicting the US flag. If you don't see the problem with that picture then you are as stupid as Zona and Ravi. Just what country do they or you think this is?

I'm basing my opinion on the facts presented in the linked article which do not express your version of events. It does not make any mention of any student wearing a Mexican flag. It only goes as far as expressing: "Other students that day wore red, white and green in favor of their pride for the Mexican holiday, which marks the Mexican army's victory over the French in the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862." If it had, my opinion would be different. Just as I would be different if these kids were sent home for simply wearing blue in their clothes in place of green. Clearly in those situation they would be indeed displaying a double standard. But again, the linked article in the OP did not express that.

I get a kick out you Monday morning quarterbacks having none of the responsibilities.

Last edited:
my2¢;2444633 said:
my2¢;2444341 said:

I'm basing my opinion on the facts presented in the linked article which do not express your version of events. It does not make any mention of any student wearing a Mexican flag. It only goes as far as expressing: "Other students that day wore red, white and green in favor of their pride for the Mexican holiday, which marks the Mexican army's victory over the French in the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862." If it had, my opinion would be different. Just as I would be different if these kids were sent home for simply wearing blue in their clothes in place of green. Clearly in those situation they would be indeed displaying a double standard. But again, the linked article in the OP did not express that.

I get a kick out you Monday morning quarterbacks having none of the responsibilities.

The four students were told by Boden and Rodriguez they could wear their American flag T-shirts on any other day other than Cinco de Mayo.

The fact of the matter is this has been in the news for quite some time and I assumed almost everyone was aware of the facts. Mexican students were carrying Mexcian flags, had Mexican flags painted on their faces and were in fact wearing Mexico's colors. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that their attire was to honor the Mexican flag.

More than 100 students were spotted wearing red, white and green as they were leaving school. Some had the Mexican flag painted on their faces or on their arms.

If someone gets his ass kicked the only day he wore the flag was on cinch de mayo then that skinhead got what he deserved.

They interviewed one of the boy's mothers on John and Ken (KFI) and she swore the boys wear those American flag/patriotic shirts all the time.

It is irrelevant whether they wear them all the time or only on May 5th. The school was wrong.

Legally yes, morally I would love those skinheads to get the dogshit beat out of them.

Forum List

Back