Students That Bullied Upstate Bus Monitor Suspended For 1 Year

I am Torn by this one. While I do think those kids were Terrible and should be Punished. I am always slow to want to Demonize the kids. To be that bad, it means their Parents are Failing them. So now these kids will miss an Entire year of school because their Parents did a piss poor job of Teaching them to Respect.

Shitty Situation all around.

Students That Bullied Upstate Bus Monitor Karen Klein Suspended For 1 Year

Greece, N.Y. School District Will Also Require 50 Hours Of Community Service

June 29, 2012 8:44 PM

Bus Bullies Who Tormented Bus Aide Karen Klein Suspended From School For For A Year « CBS New York

Since the kids are suspended, will the parents have to pay for private school? Appears this is a perfect solution!
:clap2:

They don't have to Pay for Private School. Because the kids are Suspended the Legal Obligation of the Parents to have their kids in School is gone for a year as well.

If they can't afford private school, or move to another District, the kids will simply miss an entire year of School.

Bus Bullies Who Tormented Bus Aide Karen Klein Suspended From School For For A Year « CBS New York

Since the kids are suspended, will the parents have to pay for private school? Appears this is a perfect solution!

part of me agrees with what they did...

the other part of me wonders why we would reward kids for bad behavior by giving them time off from school

Not likely I know here we have a special school for those that were suspended from regular school.

That is where these kids belong. I am conservative when it comes to minors, and their behavior. I read more about this incident, which altered my first perception. If they cannot behave in the school system detention, JUVENILE DETENTION centers will keep the brats out of trouble.

If this is their first offense, and there haven't been behavioral issues at school, then I think suspended for a year from the bus would have been more appropriate.

the other part of me wonders why we would reward kids for bad behavior by giving them time off from school

They till have to go to school, now they get to go to one that treats assholes well like assholes.

They till have to go to school, now they get to go to one that treats assholes well like assholes.

My opinion is that alternative schools should be reserved for students who have demonstrated habitual behavior problems...otherwise there is the potential to turn little assholes into bigger assholes. There definitely will be some hard learned lessons for these kids, and I hope it works out for them to really want to be better people. Watching that video was disgusting and heart breaking on so many levels.

They don't have to Pay for Private School. Because the kids are Suspended the Legal Obligation of the Parents to have their kids in School is gone for a year as well.

If they can't afford private school, or move to another District, the kids will simply miss an entire year of School.
AFAIK, truancy laws still require them to go to school unless the parents prove they are homeschooling per their state's requirements.

I think the penalty is excessive because it does not drive the point home to the rest of the school. 2 months of suspension would have been fine with a year ban from the bus, plus public apology at an all school assembly would have been enough. That way you give public shaming and you put them back with other kids who will look at them different for the quite a while afterwards and forcing the parents to find another way to get to school will probably drive the point home once and for all you never do this.

A whole year, it loses it's punch.

My opinion is that alternative schools should be reserved for students who have demonstrated habitual behavior problems...otherwise there is the potential to turn little assholes into bigger assholes. There definitely will be some hard learned lessons for these kids, and I hope it works out for them to really want to be better people. Watching that video was disgusting and heart breaking on so many levels.
There's always Juvie.

The trouble with "first offenses" is that the average first apprehension is preceded by an average of 50 similar offenses. That's average, not the exception. At the other end is 51 to 100+ offenses. Children do lack social graces, but what does one do in a society that isolates and bombards individuals who practice social graces?

Fortunately for the kids who were suspended, Jackson's link indicates their school system furnishes a community reengagement facility to help those who were suspended from school and bus services for the 2012-2013 school year in agreement with their parents who waived a scrutinizing hearing to invest their prodigy in this program.

I am Torn by this one. While I do think those kids were Terrible and should be Punished. I am always slow to want to Demonize the kids. To be that bad, it means their Parents are Failing them. So now these kids will miss an Entire year of school because their Parents did a piss poor job of Teaching them to Respect.

Those kids acted disgracefully, and whether the parents didn't do their jobs doesn't change the fact that those punks just had a great lesson on the consequences of being responsible for their own actions.

I think more or less flunking a grade would suck.

Those kids acted disgracefully, and whether the parents didn't do their jobs doesn't change the fact that those punks just had a great lesson on the consequences of being responsible for their own actions.
I'm reluctant to blame parents. My father was an educator who often said, "Kids are who they are with."

Sherry, you're right in saying this was a heartbreaking episode on so many levels.

I would really like to see that the parents are shouldering some of the heat, although in their communities, I feel they probably are.

Although a private school would not most like take these students, the cost of a couple grand a year to the parents would be a lessoned learned, just as their kids should have learned long ago.

In an alternative school setting the students will be classmates of other dysfunctional students and learn from them. Who knows, they meet new "buds."

If a private school would take them, that is where they belong where other students would be models and appropriate behavior is expected at all times.

All in all, I would guess, they would like to have the chance to relive that day. Not just that that video went viral and caught the attention of the school system as well as the nation.

I want this to be a lesson to many...parents as well as kids.

Lesson to the YouTube Generation

When you break the law and post video of it on YouTube, your probability of being caught and punished goes up 1000%

I hope the parents can afford a private school, because a year's suspension seems draconian. They deserve a punishment, but the education, personal growth and socialization that happens at that age seems a terrible thing to interrupt for so long.

Forum List

Back