Students' taunts reduce bus aide to tears

Overreaction?

Each student was barred from Athena Middle School for the school year and will be required to complete 50 hours of community service with senior citizens, the district said. They are also banned from school buses for a year.

The students will spend their time at a district "Reengagement Center" instead of school, and can apply to go back to Athena after 30 weeks if they've been behaving themselves.

Read more: Students who taunted 68-year-old bus monitor Karen Klein suspended - NYPOST.com

My guess is now the parents will sue the district for denying the kids an education and since when can a school order community service?

They should have just suspended them from the bus.

Of course a school can order community service as a condition of continuing to attend the school. It's not a criminal sentence.

The punishment was not NEARLY as severe as it needed to be to make an example of these brats.

Overreaction?

Each student was barred from Athena Middle School for the school year and will be required to complete 50 hours of community service with senior citizens, the district said. They are also banned from school buses for a year.

The students will spend their time at a district "Reengagement Center" instead of school, and can apply to go back to Athena after 30 weeks if they've been behaving themselves.

Read more: Students who taunted 68-year-old bus monitor Karen Klein suspended - NYPOST.com

My guess is now the parents will sue the district for denying the kids an education and since when can a school order community service?

Actually, with the amount of bad publicity and the huge black eye that community got, I think it's only a little excessive. What those kids did was cruel. I'd ban them from the school bus for the year, but less time for the suspension. 30 weeks is a LONG time. 8 weeks may have been far more appropriate. The community service is a good touch. I know from personal experience a 2 week suspension can result in massive behavior changes in a child.

An example needed to be made, but this is leaving a crater.

Overreaction?

If the parents are worth a shit they would insist their kids do more. Community service is a good idea but they should do it individually not as part of the brat pack

And over $600,000 donated to the poor old woman who was abused.

Where do I sign up for abuse? I'm up for it.

Forum List

Back