Students Take LA RAZA's Propaganda Tour of Illegals Journey to US.

LostAmerican

Rookie
Feb 20, 2011
In English, el otro lado means the other side. For a small group of high school students from Tucson and Berkeley, Calif., el otro lado meant learning the other side of the story of our day: illegal immigration.

Regardless of where you live in this country - or any country, for that matter - illegal immigration is the story. From Arizona to Georgia and from Washington D.C. to London, lawmakers and societies are grappling with ways to deal with the flow of people seeking new and better lives.

While illegal immigration is the story of our times, few people see it face to face. Most people see images of illegal immigration refracted through television or the Internet.

But through a partnership between San Miguel High School of Tucson and St. Mary's High School in Berkeley, a group of students learned about the story.

"What I know is is what I see in the media, and it's biased," said Dereck Leach, a 16-year-old sophomore at San Miguel, a small Catholic prep high school on the south side.

Last week Leach and four of his school mates were joined by 12 students and two teachers from St. Mary's, also Catholic, for several days of immersion examining illegal immigration from various perspectives. From meeting deported immigrants to talking to U.S. Border Patrol agents, the students witnessed and dissected the complexities and nuances of illegal immigration.

"In school you learn about global issues, but it's not the full picture," said St. Mary's sophomore Asha Moor, 17.

Here, on the ground, the students saw a bigger picture.

They went to the desert and saw migrants' foot trails and retrieved personal items desperate people left behind. They went to a Nogales center where migrants are fed and saw the border barriers. They toured the Nogales Border Patrol station and sat in a U.S. federal courtroom in downtown Tucson during a "Streamline," a criminal court hearing where apprehended undocumented migrants are ordered deported. They talked with Mike Wilson of the Tohono O'odham Nation and asked questions of local writer Margaret Regan.

Whatever preconceived notions the students had of the border and illegal immigration, they quickly evaporated.

"I knew migrants had a hard time crossing, but I didn't realize how hard it is," said San Miguel sophomore Vanessa Green, 16.

For Luke Rose of St. Mary's, the visit turned inside out the popular portrayal of a border that is violent and controlled by drug gangs.
"America is trying to hide the truth about the border," said Rose. "We don't look at the humane side of things."

What they saw are two communities on each side of the international line confronting a flow of people lured by the promise of something better in this country.

Even before the California students arrived, they and their Tucson hosts immersed themselves in the topic, said Alma García-Mejia, a Spanish teacher at San Miguel and coordinator of the three-year-old Otro Lado program.

García-Mejia hopes the program will continue to attract students from other states. Previously students from Oregon, Louisiana and California have come to Tucson to learn about el otro lado.

The students called the experience invaluable and possibly life-changing. They said they will share with their families and friends what they learned about the other side of the story.

It's a story that needs to be seen and felt, not just read about or viewed on a television screen, they said.

"I actually wish everybody would go through something like this," said Green.

Neto's Tucson: 'Otro Lado' program offers students a close-up look at immigration issue

----------------------------------------------------

Now show American students how those wonderful "immigrants" take a half way decent neighborhood in the US and turn it into a Latin American shithole where services are given to "LATINO ONLY" organizations and the brave Americans who didn't run away are denied their rightful benefits and THEIR American dream.

This kind of sympathy for the illegal crap drives me crazy. So what how difficult it is to illegally cross the border and get away with it? It's also difficult to get away with murder. Neither fact is a reason to start permitting either action or feel sorry for the perpetrators.

Crossing into ANY country illegally is ILLEGAL any way that it is painted! Enough of all this monkey motion! NO violins from this section as to the plight of those who wish to break OUR laws!!! More focus should be put on the governments of those country from which all these crossers come from and the many ways they have failed their people! All those who come here without permission SHOULD be deported post haste.

• Banned
This kind of sympathy for the illegal crap drives me crazy. So what how difficult it is to illegally cross the border and get away with it? It's also difficult to get away with murder. Neither fact is a reason to start permitting either action or feel sorry for the perpetrators.

They make it sound like they were crossing the Atlantic in the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria!:lol:

All they have to do is head NORTH! But that is a lot for the average Mexican who doesn't have a person to hold his hand every step of the way.

Hispanics take pride in behaviour that would be embarassing to other groups of people.

In English, el otro lado means the other side. For a small group of high school students from Tucson and Berkeley, Calif., el otro lado meant learning the other side of the story of our day: illegal immigration.

Regardless of where you live in this country - or any country, for that matter - illegal immigration is the story. From Arizona to Georgia and from Washington D.C. to London, lawmakers and societies are grappling with ways to deal with the flow of people seeking new and better lives.

While illegal immigration is the story of our times, few people see it face to face. Most people see images of illegal immigration refracted through television or the Internet.

But through a partnership between San Miguel High School of Tucson and St. Mary's High School in Berkeley, a group of students learned about the story.

"What I know is is what I see in the media, and it's biased," said Dereck Leach, a 16-year-old sophomore at San Miguel, a small Catholic prep high school on the south side.

Last week Leach and four of his school mates were joined by 12 students and two teachers from St. Mary's, also Catholic, for several days of immersion examining illegal immigration from various perspectives. From meeting deported immigrants to talking to U.S. Border Patrol agents, the students witnessed and dissected the complexities and nuances of illegal immigration.

"In school you learn about global issues, but it's not the full picture," said St. Mary's sophomore Asha Moor, 17.

They went to the desert and saw migrants' foot trails and retrieved personal items desperate people left behind. They went to a Nogales center where migrants are fed and saw the border barriers. They toured the Nogales Border Patrol station and sat in a U.S. federal courtroom in downtown Tucson during a "Streamline," a criminal court hearing where apprehended undocumented migrants are ordered deported. They talked with Mike Wilson of the Tohono O'odham Nation and asked questions of local writer Margaret Regan.

Whatever preconceived notions the students had of the border and illegal immigration, they quickly evaporated.

"I knew migrants had a hard time crossing, but I didn't realize how hard it is," said San Miguel sophomore Vanessa Green, 16.

For Luke Rose of St. Mary's, the visit turned inside out the popular portrayal of a border that is violent and controlled by drug gangs.
"America is trying to hide the truth about the border," said Rose. "We don't look at the humane side of things."

What they saw are two communities on each side of the international line confronting a flow of people lured by the promise of something better in this country.

Even before the California students arrived, they and their Tucson hosts immersed themselves in the topic, said Alma García-Mejia, a Spanish teacher at San Miguel and coordinator of the three-year-old Otro Lado program.

García-Mejia hopes the program will continue to attract students from other states. Previously students from Oregon, Louisiana and California have come to Tucson to learn about el otro lado.

The students called the experience invaluable and possibly life-changing. They said they will share with their families and friends what they learned about the other side of the story.

It's a story that needs to be seen and felt, not just read about or viewed on a television screen, they said.

Neto's Tucson: 'Otro Lado' program offers students a close-up look at immigration issue

Now show American students how those wonderful "immigrants" take a half way decent neighborhood in the US and turn it into a Latin American shithole where services are given to "LATINO ONLY" organizations and the brave Americans who didn't run away are denied their rightful benefits and THEIR American dream.

I wonder if they discuss how Mexico deals with illegals from south of there borders? No, they wont like what they find there. They looked at the foot trails and found personal items left behind by thees poor desperate travelers, Like empty water bottles, dirty tampons and diapers and all that personnel stuff. Not to mention all the drugs that come across.

Groups Struggle to Clean Up Mess Illegal Immigrants Leave Behind - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

Photos of Trash in the Arizona Desert Left Behind by Illegal Immigrants-Truth!

Trashing Arizona | Feature | Tucson Weekly

I also wonder what the reaction to a white group calling its self "the race" would be if they took high school students on a tour highlighting all the harm illegals do to American communities on the borders ?

I also wonder what the reaction to a white group calling its self "the race" would be if they took high school students on a tour highlighting all the harm illegals do to American communities on the borders ?
Obama would sue them

• Banned

I wonder if they discuss how Mexico deals with illegals from south of there borders? No, they wont like what they find there. They looked at the foot trails and found personal items left behind by thees poor desperate travelers, Like empty water bottles, dirty tampons and diapers and all that personnel stuff. Not to mention all the drugs that come across.

Groups Struggle to Clean Up Mess Illegal Immigrants Leave Behind - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

Photos of Trash in the Arizona Desert Left Behind by Illegal Immigrants-Truth!

Trashing Arizona | Feature | Tucson Weekly

Looks a lot like most Mexican neighborhoods in the US. Maybe we should send President Caulderon a few pictures of how his people have improved the standard of living of Mexico when they leave it.

You won't see that on the PBS Maria Hinojosa show which is 95% about the struggle of poor Mexicans which is 100% crap!!:lol:

LaPlaza_2.jpg

Just another token piece of crap that wastes hard earned American tax dollars.

Last edited:
It amazes me how people direct their anger at the people trying to cross the border and not government. I know why, it's because it would cause people to get mad and place blame on people they voted for as neither status quo party gives a shit about border security.

Typically you see young teenagers trying to cross the border in hopes that they can work and send money back to their economically poor and often hungry families. Risking your life in hopes to make the lives of your family members better, yeah what a bunch of assholes.....................

The actual assholes are the ones we put in Washington, but we don't like pointing the finger at the mirror, we like pointing it at people from another country with another skin color. Somehow and for some reason that makes it easier for us to sleep at night.

I think the best way to teach these obvious Latino students about illegal immigration is to take them to visit Calerone and voice the concerns for 'humane" treatment of his citizens and why he is allowing them to cross the border illegally putting their lives and the live of children in danger.
Even write him letter if they cannot go. Calderone is helping them cross so don't blame US for Mexico's corruption and miss treatment of it's citizens.
Show these student both side of illegal immigration.
I am writting a letter myself to La Raza and you should also.

It amazes me how people direct their anger at the people trying to cross the border and not government. I know why, it's because it would cause people to get mad and place blame on people they voted for as neither status quo party gives a shit about border security.

Typically you see young teenagers trying to cross the border in hopes that they can work and send money back to their economically poor and often hungry families. Risking your life in hopes to make the lives of your family members better, yeah what a bunch of assholes.....................

The actual assholes are the ones we put in Washington, but we don't like pointing the finger at the mirror, we like pointing it at people from another country with another skin color. Somehow and for some reason that makes it easier for us to sleep at night.

Those AMERICANS who refuse to rise up and defend THEIR country against evil invaders is the problem. Politicians in Washington are just a mirror of the nation's indifference to the sacrifices made by better men than they.

I think the best way to teach these obvious Latino students about illegal immigration is to take them to visit Calerone and voice the concerns for 'humane" treatment of his citizens and why he is allowing them to cross the border illegally putting their lives and the live of children in danger.
Even write him letter if they cannot go. Calderone is helping them cross so don't blame US for Mexico's corruption and miss treatment of it's citizens.
Show these student both side of illegal immigration.
I am writting a letter myself to La Raza and you should also.

How about force those kids to a week going to school with the gangbangers that those poor Mexicans produce.

And remind Mexico that they are less than 2% of the world's population. Give other a chance at THE DREAM!

Those AMERICANS who refuse to rise up and defend THEIR country against evil invaders is the problem. Politicians in Washington are just a mirror of the nation's indifference to the sacrifices made by better men than they.

A couple Us citizens with rifles at the border are the problem, they should potentially get in a gun fight with a group of drug smugglers armed with A-K's? Face-palm.

Again, it's government's fault. It's their job to defend the US and instead they waste our resources with things like the Iraq+Afghanistan Wars, keeping troops in Germany/Japan/Korea/Vietnam/Bolivia etc etc etc instead of putting troops at our borders and ports.

They should be ashamed everytime they pass something that shows their reflection.

[
A couple Us citizens with rifles at the border are the problem, they should potentially get in a gun fight with a group of drug smugglers armed with A-K's? Face-palm.

Again, it's government's fault. It's their job to defend the US and instead they waste our resources with things like the Iraq+Afghanistan Wars, keeping troops in Germany/Japan/Korea/Vietnam/Bolivia etc etc etc instead of putting troops at our borders and ports.

They should be ashamed everytime they pass something that shows their reflection.

You have to admit though that there are a lot of "Americans" who just don't care. Those that do tend to live in the poor areas that have been overrun by Mexicans and no one will listen to them.

[

You have to admit though that there are a lot of "Americans" who just don't care. Those that do tend to live in the poor areas that have been overrun by Mexicans and no one will listen to them.

Yep, there are a lot of people who don't care. The ones who keep voting for the people who have proven they won't do anything about the problem.

We've had every form of dem and rep in every branch of government the last 20 years and none of those combinations have done ANYTHING to even remotely fix the problem.

Last edited:
[
Yep, there are a lot of people who don't care. The ones who keep voting for the people who have proven they won't do anything about the problem.

We've had every form of dem and rep in every branch of government the last 20 and none of those combinations have done ANYTHING to even remotely fix the problem.

But look at all the organizations the Latinos have put together to destroy the American way of life! Check out all the "Americans" who contribute to LA RAZA!

National Council of La Raza |

[

We've had every form of dem and rep in every branch of government the last 20 and none of those combinations have done ANYTHING to even remotely fix the problem.

But look at all the organizations the Latinos have put together to destroy the American way of life! Check out all the "Americans" who contribute to LA RAZA!

La Raza is one of many disgusting lobbies, but that's nowhere near my biggest concern.

Protect the borders, that's my biggest concern. That's defending americans which our bureacrats are obligated to do by the Constitution and simply choose not to.

[

La Raza is one of many disgusting lobbies, but that's nowhere near my biggest concern.

Protect the borders, that's my biggest concern. That's defending americans which our bureacrats are obligated to do by the Constitution and simply choose not to.

They'd rather defend countries half way around the world than put one invading Mexican at risk of getting caught.

Forum List

Back