Students Burn Mexican Flag At School

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by GotZoom, Mar 31, 2006.

1. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    Good For Them!!! I don't agree with burning it; they should have just taken it down and handed it back.

-----------

Tensions over immigration reform heightened in the Phoenix area's East Valley Thursday when students raised a Mexican flag over Apache Junction High School — and then other students yanked it down and burned it.

"I know (they) shouldn't have burned the Mexican flag," said Jacob Stewart, a 16-year-old sophomore. "I heard it was raised above the American flag and that just irked me."

He said the turbulence was tied to debates going on in the state Legislature and Congress, where ideas ranging from offering illegal immigrants a chance at citizenship to making them felons are being floated.

Freshman Chelsea Garcia, 15, and junior Brittany Ramage, 16, said the unrest had more to do with long-running racial tensions at the school.
    The week's events might have sparked some anger, Ramage said, "but kids aren't too deep about that stuff."

The Hispanic student who brought the Mexican flag said he was responding to a remark directed at him Wednesday. The flag-raising, flag-burning, and shoving match that followed happened before most students arrived at school.

Six students — three Hispanic and three white — will be disciplined, Principal Chad Wilson said.

Officials with the Apache Junction Unified School District would not specify what punishment the six face.

Wilson did say in a letter sent home to parents that there would be "increased supervision, including additional police officers, on the campus over the next couple of days."

School flagpoles have been lightning rods across the country this week, including an incident in which a Houston high-school principal was disciplined after he flew a Mexican flag underneath his campus' U.S. and state flags.
    A new political awareness among students has also been grabbing attention, as thousands have walked out on classes to join rallies in Phoenix and elsewhere. More than 100 students from Mesa's Carson Junior High and Westwood High schools marched in protest on Mesa streets Tuesday.

http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/122555

2. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Sad that teens are standing their ground, and the U.S. Congress folded!

3. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    I don't disagree with the flag burning. If anybody DARES raise their own damn flag above Old Glory on PUBLIC F-ING PROPERTY, I tear down that rag, tear up that rag, piss on it, and then eat it before I allowed those self-righteous assholes the chance to do something that appalling again (yeah, put me in detention. I DARE you). If you wanna make America into Mexico so bad, just wait. When I'm president, I'll invade Mexico, so the Mexicans who have it so nice right now will understand the FULL implications of American residency, like TAXES.

4. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

TTIUWOP

5. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    Where I FEEL the same as do, I would hope I could maintain some sense of decorum. I expect people to respect our country and our flag. You may not like us, our policies, etc..but at least give respect where respect is due.

The first thing I can do is to respect their country and flag.

Prove my point by being the better person, etc.

Yes..deep down inside, I would prefer to kick their ass back across the border...but.....

6. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    You know what?

Texas whipped the Mexican Army in 1836.

The US invaded Mexico and whipped the Mexican Army in 1846-1848.

Maybe they forgot who the big boys on the block are.

One Stryker brigade could roll from El Paso to Mexico City in about two days.

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    THAT would be ugly! :puke3:

8. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    But think how much it would cost to bring them into the 21st century. I think we'll let them struggle through that all by themselves.

9. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    :dunno:

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    This thread is useless without pictures