Students at Lincoln Memorial Told to Stop Singing National Anthem

A group of high school students attending a conservative leadership conference in Washington, D.C. said they were ordered by a security guard to stop singing the national anthem during a June 25 visit to the Lincoln Memorial.

“They told them to stop singing,” said Evan Gassman, a spokesman for the Young America’s Foundation. “I was taken aback. You wouldn’t expect a display of national patriotism to be censored.”

U.S. Park Police confirmed that the students were in violation of federal law and their impromptu performance constituted a demonstration in an area that must remain “completely content neutral.”

“The area they were standing in and singing is an area that is restricted for this type of activity,” said Sgt. David Schlosser. “The United States Park Police is absolutely content-neutral when it comes to any sort of demonstrations in these areas.”

That's what it looks like to me.

I do believe Lincoln wanted them to stop

Nothing worse than a bunch of high schoolers screeching

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
maybe they shouldn't sing in an area that is meant for silence. all they had to do was move 25 feet. fucking troublemakers also looking for controversy

In other news...the same students began to sing the National Anthem in the Library of Congress, and the head librarian shushed them.

There is a time and place to sing, and there is a time and place to shut the fuck up.

• Thanks
A group of high school students attending a conservative leadership conference in Washington, D.C. said they were ordered by a security guard to stop singing the national anthem during a June 25 visit to the Lincoln Memorial.

“They told them to stop singing,” said Evan Gassman, a spokesman for the Young America’s Foundation. “I was taken aback. You wouldn’t expect a display of national patriotism to be censored.”

U.S. Park Police confirmed that the students were in violation of federal law and their impromptu performance constituted a demonstration in an area that must remain “completely content neutral.”

“The area they were standing in and singing is an area that is restricted for this type of activity,” said Sgt. David Schlosser. “The United States Park Police is absolutely content-neutral when it comes to any sort of demonstrations in these areas.”

The Lincoln Memorial is not Lincoln's Tomb, where silence would be expected. It's a memorial to one of our Presidents and patriotism should be encouraged.

Lincoln, "Die when I may, I want it said by those who knew me best that I always plucked a thistle and planted a flower where I thought a flower would grow."

The Lincoln Memorial is not Lincoln's Tomb, where silence would be expected. It's a memorial to one of our Presidents and patriotism should be encouraged.

Lincoln, "Die when I may, I want it said by those who knew me best that I always plucked a thistle and planted a flower where I thought a flower would grow."

Isn't the spot where MLK jr. gave the "I Have a Dream" speech close by?

In other news...the same students began to sing the National Anthem in the Library of Congress, and the head librarian shushed them.

There is a time and place to sing, and there is a time and place to shut the fuck up.

didn't you know its patriotic to act like a jackass in places of silence?

Isn't the spot where MLK jr. gave the "I Have a Dream" speech close by?

Yes. It's also where Glenn Beck's 8/28 Restoring Honor Rally will occur in two weeks.

Been there, done that.

When I was a commander at Ft. Meade, MD, one of my soldiers wanted to have her re-enlistment ceremony done at the Lincoln Memorial. DC was only a short drive away, and we were able to support the request. On the day of the ceremony, however, we were stopped by the Park Police for the very same reason: they couldn't allow public demonstrations. I explained to the officer that this wasn't some impromptu demonstration; that this was a time-honored ceremony; that this an official military event; but none of that mattered.

However, he did say we could perform the ceremony at the steps leading up to the memorial just not inside the memorial itself. So we quickly set it up. During the process, a crowd gathered around out of curiosity, so I addressed the crowd to explain some of the history of the ceremony and the significance of the Oath this soldier was going to take reaffirming her commitment to the Constitution.

In the end, all things turned out very well. Our main concern was that we were able to grant this soldier's request and make this event special for her. As we lined to shake hands with her to congratulate her, I was surprised that total strangers also got into the line to thank her for her service.

Still, I was frustrated at this very narrow interpretation by the Park Police. But I can appreciate their position. It's easier to just not allow any gatherings at all rather than to determine which ones are acceptable and which ones are not. Pretty soon, you'll have a bunch of loons doing some pretty stupid things in the name of ceremony.

• Thanks

Forum List

Back