Student suspended for wearing patriotic t-shirt to school

I actually agree with you on all counts. I think at school and work we have to abide by the codes of conduct that are dictated (so long as there's nothing discriminatory or illegal in the code of conduct, obviously). I even agree that the ACLU making a case out of it would be non-productive. I only made mention of it because so many here talk about how the ACLU defends certain things based on content, yet here are taking the side of the kid who wants to show his "patriotic feelings". They are just doing what the ACLU always does.... defends the right to unrestricted speech, regardless of content. ;)

That said, I think if you go to a school, you have to live by its rules. Personally, I think uniforms aren't a bad idea... levels the playing field, especially during the adolescent years, and keeps the focus on school work. I also think having to dress in an appropriate manner emphasizes that school is a place for work.

That in itself is fine as far as I’m concerned, but when it undermines the “local” rules, regulations etc. be it schools or employer, I think it’s more destructive than constructive.

They need to get a grip on reality.

I agree with you to the extent that rules should be across the board. I'm not certain, though, if you're saying that muslims should have to wear secular dress even if its against their religion. I would have a problem with that, same as I would a prohibition against a student wearing a cross or a yarmulke. That's the kind of stuff they did in France and while I see where it comes from, I disagree with it. But like I said, I'm not sure if that's where you're going with this.

Actually I would agree that if Muslims can wear head scarfs to school then allowances should be made for students to wear crosses and Jews to wear the Star of David etc. If schools want for students to have full freedom of expression such as wearing a t-shirt with a message then all points of view should be allowed. But schools need to be consistent on this.
Im not sure we need to go as far as kids wearing uniforms so much as for there to be some level of enforced dress codes, girls dress way too sexy for school these days and for some reason parents think it's cute till their daughters get grabbed the wrong way by male students.

I did some research for a paper I wrote on school uniforms. Turns out that the schools that implemented uniforms had fairly substantial increases in student productivity, and decreases in disciplinary problems. It seems that uniforms sparked more academic seriousness among kids to not only learn but not to act up.

True, but I wonder why the standard isn't the same in all schools and for all expressions of ideas?

I think there should be mandatory uniforms or at least dress codes for many reasons. Most girls wear very revealing clothes, and young boys cannot handle seeing that daily.
When I was in school we could not wear mini-skirts, or halters tops. I see no reason why that can't be enforced.

Seriously, because every school or district or state can make their own dress codes; the highest level where they can get such passed, wins.

It's like 'standards', if a state doesn't publish, then the schools don't have to meet them, though they may not qualify for fed. money due to NCLB.

On the other hand, they may all be in breach of fed'l law. I would assume another case is winding its way up, to see if Tinker will be upheld:

Tinker v. Des Moines School District

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=US&vol=393&invol=503

Actually I would agree that if Muslims can wear head scarfs to school then allowances should be made for students to wear crosses and Jews to wear the Star of David etc. If schools want for students to have full freedom of expression such as wearing a t-shirt with a message then all points of view should be allowed. But schools need to be consistent on this.
Im not sure we need to go as far as kids wearing uniforms so much as for there to be some level of enforced dress codes, girls dress way too sexy for school these days and for some reason parents think it's cute till their daughters get grabbed the wrong way by male students.

I did some research for a paper I wrote on school uniforms. Turns out that the schools that implemented uniforms had fairly substantial increases in student productivity, and decreases in disciplinary problems. It seems that uniforms sparked more academic seriousness among kids to not only learn but not to act up.

From anything I've read regarding schools in the US, students may wear crosses, crucifixes (though they shouldn't according to Church teachings, which is that it's not jewelry), Star of David, Crescent, etc. The Muslims may wear the clothes they are comfortable in, barring a dress code-which would probably be struck down as preventing freedom of religion if it discriminated against coverage for Muslim women?

Forum List

Back