Student Says Teacher Scolded Him for Viewing FOXNews.com

Well we've heard one side of the story. I wonder what the teacher's account would sound like. I'd expect that the discussion was more along the lines of considering a variety of sources... I know that's tough for wingers to understand. They think that Fox and Rush ARE a variety. :eusa_whistle:

Suggesting that the student listen to the BBC, CNN, NPR... in addition to Fox to get a few different perspectives on an issue is perfectly reasonable and fits well within any academic model for research and learning.

It would be interesting to hear the teachers side, but I think what many are reacting to is that we don't believe there would have been any issue if the student had been looking at BBC, CNN, NPR, etc.

Who knows what was going on at the time. Were all the students looking at news sources, or just this 1? If it turns out everyone was doing research and only this student was singled out for the lecture I'm sure reasonable people can agree that the lecture was either unwarranted or should have been directed at the whole class.

I'm not going to disagree. Had the student been looking at a less partisan source it may not have been an issue, but I believe that we just don't know enough. Without hearing the other side it's difficult to take a position.

Oh boy, here we go, an example of a less partisan source ? You mean, like a source that asks the president what he's most enchanted by in his first 100 days ? ......:eusa_whistle:

If the teacher had told him he can only watch Fox News, then you would be screaming bloody murder. Hypocrite.
Actually, my response would be the same. I don't give a damn what a single teacher said. When I was younger, I had a teacher tell me something similar when I mentioned the findings of some Gallup poll. Another told the class quite directly that "liberals are morons." Yet another called those who supported Bush in the 2004 election "un-American." I've seen bullshit like this from both sides of the aisle. An individual teacher expressing some sort of political bias isn't a big deal.

You had no idea what I would do if the situation were different. Fuck you, dude.

Sorry, but I don't swing that way. Nothing against you or anyone who does, but just not my thing.

It would be interesting to hear the teachers side, but I think what many are reacting to is that we don't believe there would have been any issue if the student had been looking at BBC, CNN, NPR, etc.

Who knows what was going on at the time. Were all the students looking at news sources, or just this 1? If it turns out everyone was doing research and only this student was singled out for the lecture I'm sure reasonable people can agree that the lecture was either unwarranted or should have been directed at the whole class.

I'm not going to disagree. Had the student been looking at a less partisan source it may not have been an issue, but I believe that we just don't know enough. Without hearing the other side it's difficult to take a position.

Oh boy, here we go, an example of a less partisan source ? You mean, like a source that asks the president what he's most enchanted by in his first 100 days ? ......:eusa_whistle:

Hey watch it there driveby, Obama might consider that question 'grilling'. :lol:

Hey watch it there driveby, Obama might consider that question 'grilling'. :lol:

Right, i mean god forbid someone asks Obama something above and beyond what an intern at People Magazine would ask any celebrity .........

Without hearing the other side it's difficult to take a position.

Now that's cute! :lol:

You must be new to the interwebs, or at least this place. Just believe me when I tell you that most find it quite easy to take a position, often based on less.

He was skipping his way between Playboy.com and GirlsGoneWild.com.

Heck, I'm just impressed that a teenager was reading any news website.

FoxNews has got to be thrilled. They finally found someone 50 years younger than their average demo consuming their stuff...

FoxNews has got to be thrilled. They finally found someone 50 years younger than their average demo consuming their stuff...

lol... ain't that the truth.

Judge Napolitano's Freedom Watch is interesting for libertarians and people that just disdain for what government is doing... but the rest of it is mostly partisan hackery that were cheerleading Bush's abuse of powers when Republicans had the power.

I must admit that I doubted your reference to the age of viewers, but when I checked, I was surprised at how old the viewing population is:
Fueling the graying of the networks: the rapid aging of ABC, NBC and Fox. The three nets continue to grow older, while CBS -- the oldest-skewing network -- has remained fairly steady.

"The median ages of the broadcast networks keep rising, as traditional television is no longer necessarily the first screen for the younger set," Sternberg wrote.

For the just-completed 2007-08 TV season, CBS was oldest in live viewing with a median age of 54. ABC clocked in at 50, followed by NBC (49), Fox (44), CW (34) and Univision (34).

When live-plus-7 DVR viewing is factored in, the nets (except CW and Univision) drop by a year -- which still reps the oldest median age ever for the nets.

Sternberg notes that Fox and CW maintain median ages that are closer to the actual age of the population. The median age for U.S. households is 38.

Among ad-supported cable nets, the news nets (along with older-skewing Hallmark Channel, Golf Channel and GSN's daytime sked) sport the most gray, with Fox News Channel's daytime and primetime skeds the absolute oldest, clocking in with a median age above 65. Youngest nets are the daytime skeds for Noggin and Nickelodeon, with a median age under 10.
TV viewers' average age hits 50 - Entertainment News, TV Ratings, Media - Variety

Now, these are viewers, but I assume the readers are of the same order.

Well we've heard one side of the story. I wonder what the teacher's account would sound like. I'd expect that the discussion was more along the lines of considering a variety of sources... I know that's tough for wingers to understand. They think that Fox and Rush ARE a variety. :eusa_whistle:

Suggesting that the student listen to the BBC, CNN, NPR... in addition to Fox to get a few different perspectives on an issue is perfectly reasonable and fits well within any academic model for research and learning.

do you really believe if the kid was looking at the bbc website he would have been lectured that you needed to also view fox....the national review etc.....

you all are as bad as the folks you replaced......

Last edited:

I must admit that I doubted your reference to the age of viewers, but when I checked, I was surprised at how old the viewing population is:
Fueling the graying of the networks: the rapid aging of ABC, NBC and Fox. The three nets continue to grow older, while CBS -- the oldest-skewing network -- has remained fairly steady.

"The median ages of the broadcast networks keep rising, as traditional television is no longer necessarily the first screen for the younger set," Sternberg wrote.

For the just-completed 2007-08 TV season, CBS was oldest in live viewing with a median age of 54. ABC clocked in at 50, followed by NBC (49), Fox (44), CW (34) and Univision (34).

When live-plus-7 DVR viewing is factored in, the nets (except CW and Univision) drop by a year -- which still reps the oldest median age ever for the nets.

Sternberg notes that Fox and CW maintain median ages that are closer to the actual age of the population. The median age for U.S. households is 38.

Among ad-supported cable nets, the news nets (along with older-skewing Hallmark Channel, Golf Channel and GSN's daytime sked) sport the most gray, with Fox News Channel's daytime and primetime skeds the absolute oldest, clocking in with a median age above 65. Youngest nets are the daytime skeds for Noggin and Nickelodeon, with a median age under 10.
TV viewers' average age hits 50 - Entertainment News, TV Ratings, Media - Variety

Now, these are viewers, but I assume the readers are of the same order.

Yeah, traditional media is dead in the long run. The Fox Network skews younger because they have cartoons and other shows geared towards younger people. However, I had read that Fox News's average viewer was 63 years old. I don't know if that's true or not, and it surprised me when I read it, but that's what I understand to be the case.

nice try bozo,, but yer bias is showing.. :cuckoo:

Nothing new here--it is through-out our education system--especially college. My daughter grew up in a conservative house-hold & then headed off to CU for her degree. Her political thinking completely changed. She voted for Barack Obama along with her husband--& they are both regretting that now.

Here we have "teachers" & "professor's" on the tax payer payroll dictating to there students on how to think & what to read. They are brain-washed from kindegarden up--& why? Who supports the "teachers union" in this country?

If the teacher had told him he can only watch Fox News, then you would be screaming bloody murder. Hypocrite.
Actually, my response would be the same. I don't give a damn what a single teacher said. When I was younger, I had a teacher tell me something similar when I mentioned the findings of some Gallup poll. Another told the class quite directly that "liberals are morons." Yet another called those who supported Bush in the 2004 election "un-American." I've seen bullshit like this from both sides of the aisle. An individual teacher expressing some sort of political bias isn't a big deal.

You had no idea what I would do if the situation were different. Fuck you, dude.

Sorry, but I don't swing that way. Nothing against you or anyone who does, but just not my thing.
Oh, wow. I bet your sharp wit scores you tons of "cool points" with the 8-12 demographic.

Consider the whole body of my posts, I suggested getting news from a variety of sources. Everybody is biased, though some more than others. If you cannot see that getting your news ONLY from Fox is a bad idea, then there is no point in further conversation with you. I read the WSJ and NY Times every day. There's two polar opposites. I get good coverage from both sides. That's what intelligent people do. They want to know the truth, not the slant their particular political religion is putting on.

I called Rush and told him my teacher lectured me for watching CBS. He hung up on me and didn't play my call on air.

There's a sucker born a minute and lately it seems like the suckers are Rush listeners.

Forum List

Back