student forced to share educational honor

1. Amends for Student Cheated of Valedictorian Honors | Video - ABC News

First, this story reminds me of the black valedictorian, cheated of her honor by a teacher who falsely lowered her grade, who was finally recognized 75 years later.

2. Secondly, what is WRONG with being Salutatorian?

As Valedictorian of my high school class, I can TELL you the Salutatorian
ranked second to me went to Carnegie-Mellon and is now a doctor in neuroscience!

I am an unpaid volunteer working two jobs, while organizing socioeconomic reforms
in a low-income historic district in worse economic shape than I am! Big deal!

Maybe I should contact my Salutatorian classmate, and co-write a letter to the school and the two students encouraging them to celebrate both Valedictorian and Salutatorian as equal honors!

There is no shame in that! They should BOTH be equally proud
and encouraged to succeed in life.

You should do some basic research before posting.

The complaint says Thompson attributed the decision to something in the student handbook, though the complaint says he did not list a specific policy.
In regards to recognition of a valedictorian, the McGehee handbook says that "students must be continuously enrolled at McGehee High School the last two semesters without transferring during this time to be considered in class ranking or eligible for valedictorian or salutatorian status."
The handbook says students will be given the same class rank only if their grades are the same, but in deciding class rank, students with lower GPAs who are taking more or harder classes will not be penalized. Gathen said the Wimberly's co-valedictorian had half a credit more than Wimberly and the difference in the students' GPAs was .03 or .05. Gathen said the outcome would have been the same were the situations reversed.

Valedictorian sues school: Was she snubbed because of race? – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

In my high school, extra work did not harm your chances of being a valedictorian. What's the issue here? Did the white kid also take a bunch of IB/AP classes, too?

I don't understand - the white girl should be punished for going above and beyond the requirements?

Is it really so bad that two people are valedictorians?!

edit: I see the issue is because one student took band and that was only a half credit, while the other student had traditional academic classes and got one B in her four years of high school.

Last edited:
AT first thought I am thinking there must be more to this story than meets the eye.
I would not assume that the parent is telling the truth, sorry but I can't believe there is a school administrator so unbelievably stupid as to tell a black parent her child can't be honored because she is black - not buying that.

AT first thought I am thinking there must be more to this story than meets the eye.
I would not assume that the parent is telling the truth, sorry but I can't believe there is a school administrator so unbelievably stupid as to tell a black parent her child can't be honored because she is black - not buying that.
You may be onto something. there.

Superintendent Thomas Gathen, who is named as a co-defendant, told CNN that the decision wasn’t “racially motivated.”

“That wasn’t an issue with (the co-valedictorians),” he said. “This is strictly an academic issue and a policy issue, not a racial issue.”

In the school’s handbook the only requirement for becoming valedictorian or salutatorian is being enrolled at the school for “the last two semesters without transferring during this time.”

When determining class rank, a student who takes more courses but has a lower GPA will not be “penalized.” This is the case now, according to Gathen, who told CNN the co-valediction had half a credit more in course work and either .03 or .05 less in GPA.

Kymberly Wimberly, black valedictorian, claims school demoted her over race - BlogPost - The Washington Post

In my high school, extra work did not harm your chances of being a valedictorian. What's the issue here? Did the white kid also take a bunch of IB/AP classes, too?

I don't understand - the white girl should be punished for going above and beyond the requirements?

Is it really so bad that two people are valedictorians?!

edit: I see the issue is because one student took band and that was only a half credit, while the other student had traditional academic classes and got one B in her four years of high school.

The issue is that the mother is an opportunist. The person that made the final decision about sharing the valedictorian honors is black, so I doubt the mother was told that the issue was about race or people being upset by a black winning the honor.

The simple fact is that one girl had a slightly lower GPA, one more credit, and took more AP courses than the other. the school, and the district, decided to have them share the honors, and one of them resented that and plated the race card.

What is really sad is how many people here bought into it. I guess they just assumed it had to be true because the school is in Arkansas, and we all know Arkansas is full of racists.

I have been there, and it really isn't anything like most liberals from the north and west think.

Bingo, especially if the administrator is black.

I guess it's fine when white Firemen in Connecticut have there test scores for promotion thrown out and the promotions withdrawn because no blacks or Hispanics passed the exam....

That's fine with the lefties....

Forum List

Back