student forced to share educational honor

That's awful. I've heard of schools having multiple valedictorians because they all had perfect grades, but never when one had less. The silver lining is that this student will get a lot of positive PR.

Everybody involved in this stupid decision should be fired, and barred from ever holding another administrative position again.

That is awful.

The school should and will get their asses kicked in court. And, hopefully some of those idiots will be shitcanned.

Lawsuit accuses school district of discrimination against valedictorian - FOX16.com Little Rock, AR

Link with a version of the school district's defense. Doesn't seem very solid. I wanted a better source but the best I could could do with 5 minutes of google searching.

Appears to be a very weak defense, how do you prove which course work is "additional"

it's an interesting case - and on it's face the school looks bad but the defense is reasonable.

and i think that you decide which coursework is extra by allowing the student that put in the extra effort to fill in the required coursework with her best grades.

that doesn't seem unreasonable to me. i do think the school might need to revisit it's policies though.

insult for me by posters for posting this without comment is pretty telling.

some people are just FILLED to the brim with hate

insult for me by posters for posting this without comment is pretty telling.

some people are just FILLED to the brim with hate

My saying that it was a stupid decision, and whoever made it should be fired is hate now?

Who knew??

And how did I insult you with my post?

I have to say, we may not be getting the entire story.

40 something years ago when I was in high school, something similar happened. There was a guy who was taking physics, calculus, advanced biology and even courses at the local Jr. College. He received a B in gym and so Class Valedictorian was given to a girl whose most difficult class was "home economics". He sued because he believed that his classes should have been weighted. The school board agreed. They were made co-valedictorians and a program was set in place to weight classes for their difficulty. The more difficult the class the more points earned.

That ended that.

The black girl should be the sole valedictorian, even though she had a child and was pregnate.

The black girl should be the sole valedictorian, even though she had a child and was pregnate.

That should be even more reason why she should. She got the highest scores, despite these setbacks. Most other girls would probably have let their grades slide trying to cope with this.

If the roles were reversed everyone would be applauding the decision.

I just look at it as white affirmative-action. :cool:

This isn't right, Sunni...and if the situation had been reversed, it would still be just as wrong. This is about grades, not skin color (at least, that's how it should be).

Forum List

Back