Student denied to hand out Christian themed Valentine’s Day cards on public campus

If the college gets any taxpayer money in any fashion, that must let her do as she pleases.just like the BSA were forced to allow girls in b/c they accept tax money.
`
Not necessarily. To quote from my article;

Polly Olsen says giving out handmade, heart-shaped Valentines with Bible verses is a tradition that she's carried on from her late mother. But when she tried to distribute them on campus in February, security officials stopped her, saying that because she was outside the campus "public assembly area," she was violating school policy. In return, Olsen's lawsuit argues the college violated her right to free speech.
`
At issue is a colleges right to limit speech to certain areas of the campus VS the persons allegation of free speech. Public schools have the right to limit speech to certain areas ( School speech (First Amendment) ) per supreme court decisions. As the school sees it, the aggrieved was doing this in the wrong area and asked to cease and desist, which is perfectly legal.
The college receives tax money, therefore they aren't allowed to restrict speech.

I want consistency.

Time, place, and manner restrictions are constitutional.
If this woman were Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, would you have the same reaction?

The bigger picture everyone is missing...why the hell is a grown adult handing out Valentines?

Not sure about you people, but I quit doing that in elementary school.

Forum List

Back