Student denied to hand out Christian themed Valentine’s Day cards on public campus

sakinago

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2012
Student Sues College After Being Labeled 'Disruptive' For Handing Out Christian-themed Valentines

Violation of the 1st amendment, I think so.

She handed out Christian themed Valentine’s Day cards for free (a tradition she practiced with her late mother), until a campus security guard approached her and told her to stop. Why? Because it was solicitation (which doesn’t make sense because they were free). Later she was told she was disturbing the learning environment, even though this was outside, not in a classroom or library, or anywhere actual learning or studying is expected to happen without disruption. Apparently to excercise your first amendment at some of these “public” universities, one must first ask permission of the university to do so, then are limited to a tiny area to do so, and still have additional restrictions like time limits.

It’s no longer a right if you have to ask permission to do so.

Women want this? Voting democrat means more of this stupid shit. You’re voting for this ladies.

I really missed that whole part in The Gospels about Jesus handing out Valentines Day cards.

'Please Be Mine'

Yeah; I totally missed that.

I really missed that whole part in The Gospels about Jesus handing out Valentines Day cards.

'Please Be Mine'

Yeah; I totally missed that.
I know right, how evil of this chick to try to brighten up people’s day. Just the absolute dredge of society. Jesus is just up there shaking his head. She’s going straight to hell, because Jesus never handed out something that didn’t exist, for a Holliday that wasn’t created until another 2000 years later by hallmark.

NWTC vice president of advancement, Karen Smits, told Campus Reform that "free speech is exercised every day in many different contexts all over the NWTC campus," and that the "policy deals with ‘public assembly' as the law recognizes that, unlike a public park, not all physical areas of educational institutions are open for 'public assembly.'"

Correct.

Time, place, and manner regulations have been consistently upheld by the courts where those regulation are content neutral. And there is no evidence the school’s policy singles-out Christian speech for exclusion.

"The law is very clear here," Mattox said in an interview. "Public colleges can’t tell students when and where they can speak on their own public college campus, and they certainly can’t require them to get advanced permission to speak. It’s a clear violation of the First Amendment, and it is likely the court will end up finding that here."

Wrong.

Like other rights the right to free speech is not absolute and is subject to regulation consistent with First Amendment jurisprudence – it is not a right to say anything, anywhere, at any time.

As long as the school affords students a venue to engage in free speech, the prior approval policy is perfectly Constitutional.

Why is it Christians always run to the government stoop looking for approval?

Student Sues College After Being Labeled 'Disruptive' For Handing Out Christian-themed Valentines

She handed out Christian themed Valentine’s Day cards for free (a tradition she practiced with her late mother), until a campus security guard approached her and told her to stop. Why? Because it was solicitation (which doesn’t make sense because they were free). Later she was told she was disturbing the learning environment, even though this was outside, not in a classroom or library, or anywhere actual learning or studying is expected to happen without disruption. Apparently to excercise your first amendment at some of these “public” universities, one must first ask permission of the university to do so, then are limited to a tiny area to do so, and still have additional restrictions like time limits.

A private college can't deny anyone a first amendment right. Only government run places can.

Also wrong.

The Supreme Court has consistently upheld laws as Constitutional that require a permit or license as a condition of exercising the right to free speech and assembly (see Cox v. New Hampshire (1941)).

Indeed, the courts have upheld as Constitutional licensing requirements pursuant to possessing or carrying a firearm consistent with Second Amendment jurisprudence.

The notion that a right is no longer a right if one must first obtain a permit or license to exercise that right is as ignorant as it is ridiculous.

A private college can't deny anyone a first amendment right. Only government run places can.

Sure, go try a hand out pro-choice literature at bob jones university.

Last edited:

Sure, go try a hand out pro-choice litvat bob jones university.

What?

They don't need anyone's approval, dumbass! That is the point!

Seems that she very much did.

Why can’t she just stand outside her church instead of a government funded university?

Government funded universities are public property moron!

Why don't you just stay in bed where your stupid cannot hurt others?

Sure, go try a hand out pro-choice literature at bob jones university.

That is a private school, dumbass!

They don't need anyone's approval, dumbass! That is the point!

Seems that she very much did.

Why can’t she just stand outside her church instead of a government funded university?
Good question.

The answer is that this isn’t about religious expression or the First Amendment.

It’s about the social right attempting to contrive a ‘controversy’ where none exists, yet another conservative playing the victim card to garner some perceived political advantage.

In fact, conservatives have been propagating the lie that Christians are somehow ‘under attack’ for quite some time, this being yet another example.

I'm old enough to remember the Hari Krishnas at the airport and the Moonies who camped out in the park across the street from my office so many years ago. Was this woman just handing out Valentine's cards or was she there to recruit members for her denomination/cult, whatever it is?

New Topics

Forum List

Back