Student debt out of control???

Nobody forced these would be dead beats to take a loan.

True. They could have ditched the idea of college and just gone to work for McDonalds.

It is possible to get a college degree without taking out loans you know.

Sure, if you have rich, generous parents, or are brilliant enough to get a full scholarship, or have no need to sleep.

Oh palease.... I worked full-time and borrowed very little and paid back ALL of what I borrowed. It can be done... nobody said it has to be painless.

This incessant whining gets old... FAST.

True. They could have ditched the idea of college and just gone to work for McDonalds.

Sure, if you have rich, generous parents, or are brilliant enough to get a full scholarship, or have no need to sleep.

Funny.. if they were only qualified for McDonalds, they probably were not qualified for college either

And if you think you can't work thru college, take a military job with a GI bill, or find a job that offers tuition benefits, you are SADLY mistaken

Same old story. You simply can't decide some product or service is a 'right', that's its something we should subsidize with government, and expect that not to fuck up the market. Home ownership, health care, education - all these markets have ultimately suffered more from state interference than they've benefited.

We seem to finally be getting a grasp on the idea that our natural environment is a complex interconnected network, and that our efforts to control nature as often as not have unintended consequences. How long before we get it through our heads that the economy is the same sort of network?

I don't know how much suffering it will take, but I think eventually we'll learn that keeping government and economy separate is at least as important as separation of church and state.

According to the link below, American students in debt to educational loans has reached a trillion dollars...

Paul would ax five agencies, hits focus on Romney's lawn - Washington Times

Worse, they can't get jobs due to the miserable state of the American economy. The interest alone on these educational debts must be substantial. Is it time to bring back the smokestack industry of manufacturing to get real jobs back in country instead of tax funded government pencil pushing jobs???

How about we say it the way it really is.

Students
taking out loans that they cant pay for is out of control.

And there it is.
Just like the mortgage crises.
You can't tell me that a couple making $100,000 in TOTAL income, didn't know that buying a $250,000 home was a bad idea.
Same goes for all of these kids spending 5 years in community colleges getting their room and board paid for as well as their tuition...didn't know they had to pay it back.
This is once again another example in the loooooooong line of examples of the government creating bubbles and inflating false demands - and raising the costs for the rest of us.
I am paying $18,000 a year for my daughter to be a respiratory therapist. That is absurd!!! She lives on campus in quad apartments...all of her roommates are getting government loans to pay for tuition and housing. As a matter of fact, as touted on this schools website - 67% of the students are getting assistance.
Can you say - unsustainable?

And - remember this President wants to increase tuition assistance...but the evil republicans blocked it.

Last edited:
According to the link below, American students in debt to educational loans has reached a trillion dollars...

Worse, they can't get jobs due to the miserable state of the American economy. The interest alone on these educational debts must be substantial. Is it time to bring back the smokestack industry of manufacturing to get real jobs back in country instead of tax funded government pencil pushing jobs???

I agree...no more student loans from the government.

Education is an investment.

Far to many kids just see it as a way to stave off adulthood.

No you can work and take one or two courses at a time. I got one of my bachelor's that very way.

I got my first Bachelors while working a full time third shift job. No loans, no debt.

So why can't someone else do the same and stop whining?.

Because they might have STRESS and lose their beauty sleep !

You would not want kids to going into today's stressless business environment (and political environement) having actually learned a thing or two about managing it.....

now, would you ?

[My emphasis.]
Damn straight. And there are whole groups of them.
My daughter talks about them, they show up 5-10 minutes late for class, rarely participate, usually leave early - and look like death warmed over several days a week.
They are having a great time on taxpayer's dime...and the government is more than willing to keep right on paying their way as lomg as when they campaign they can say something like "I was involved in and helped pass a bill that added $250million in funds for our children to get a college education. And I am introducing a bill to ensure that this continues!! [applause] - we cannot abandon our kids! [standing ovation]..

But they were led to believe that there would be jobs waiting for them after they graduated. The vast majority of them were unaware that their own gov't was busy shipping those jobs overseas.

Banks Bailouts are at least 12 Trillion, Student Loans are only 1 Trillion:

The true cost of the bank bailout | Need to Know | PBS

Banks fuck us through derivitives, we bail them out. Students spend a lot to get an education, we fuck them.

You ok with that?
Really? Who led them to believe this? Which jobs have government shipped overseas, other than military? Why should students have a bail out to begin with? We bail out banks to prevent systemic risk. How will bailing out unmotivated underqualified grads prevent systemic risk?

Narco-libertarians are merely liberals by another name.

[My emphasis.]
My daughter talks about them, they show up 5-10 minutes late for class, rarely participate, usually leave early - and look like death warmed over several days a week.
They are having a great time on taxpayer's dime...and the government is more than willing to keep right on paying their way as lomg as when they campaign they can say something like "I was involved in and helped pass a bill that added $250million in funds for our children to get a college education. And I am introducing a bill to ensure that this continues!! [applause] - we cannot abandon our kids! [standing ovation]..

I call them professional students.

[My emphasis.]

Yeah like president Obama....magna cum laude from Harvard.

Oh palease.... I worked full-time and borrowed very little and paid back ALL of what I borrowed.

Me, too. I did it in the 1970s. Things have changed a bit since then.

Yes.. they don't want to work for it now.. and complain more than ever abut how it should be free or that it is owed to them, even though they are SUPPOSEDLY adults

Oh palease.... I worked full-time and borrowed very little and paid back ALL of what I borrowed.

Me, too. I did it in the 1970s. Things have changed a bit since then.

They sure have.
In 1970 if a high school drop-out, who basically quit because they were flunking out anyway, applied for a student loan they would have been laughed out of the school.
Today - no problem...and we'll pay your room and board to.
In 1970 a 26 year old, now beginning his/her FIFTH YEAR in school - and still has no major - would have been kicked out of college. TODAY - no problem...we understaaand...here's another $15,000 for tuition and rent...what's that? You don't have enough money for food either - you poor "child"...here is another $5000 in grants. Are you sure you don't need more?

And the saga continues...

Oh palease.... I worked full-time and borrowed very little and paid back ALL of what I borrowed. It can be done... nobody said it has to be painless.

This incessant whining gets old... FAST.

The problem isn't that they could have ditched the idea of college and gone to work for McDonalds, the problem is they have graduated college and are still unfit to work anywhere but McDonalds. They would have been better off if they had gone to a community college or trade school and learned how to be a plumber, or repair technician. Instead they have a liberal arts degree that gets them nothing. A liberal arts degree is ONLY useful IF there is a post graduate degree to go along with it. If anyone imagines that a degree (or several) in any of the socially relevant courses is going to render them able to get a job, they should back it up with beauty school, or a good bartending course.

The entire problem, as several of us obviously agree, is the government getting involved.
When parents and the child themselves are footing the bill - there wouldn't be any of these career students meandering between one class to another.
Hell no.
When my daughter finished her pre-reqs and began her major we had her sit out for a semester, one was to work as many hours as she could get to build up her savings - but more importantly to giver her 6 months to be sure this is what she wants. I have told her numerous times that this is it...no changing her mind now. This is a ton of money we are investing and we cannot spend $17,000 this year and she decides it isn't that fun.
But with the government (as in taxpayers) paying for it - who gives a rats ass right? Hell...who cares if they even graduate?

In 1975, when I started college, in-state tuition at a state university was much less in constant dollars than it is today, and the availability of non-loan financial aid was much greater. Also, the job market was much better (even though in the 1970s it was worse than it had been in the '60s, thanks to the oil problems) so that expectation of a good job awaiting a recent college graduate was more realistic.

These three things are the factors that have caused the problem with student loans today. Not the availability of student loans (without which many students simply couldn't attend school, period), not "the government getting involved" (without which we would have no state colleges or universities and everyone would have to pay private school tuition, which would make the problem even worse).

In 1975, when I started college, in-state tuition at a state university was much less in constant dollars than it is today, and the availability of non-loan financial aid was much greater. Also, the job market was much better (even though in the 1970s it was worse than it had been in the '60s, thanks to the oil problems) so that expectation of a good job awaiting a recent college graduate was more realistic.

These three things are the factors that have caused the problem with student loans today. Not the availability of student loans (without which many students simply couldn't attend school, period), not "the government getting involved" (without which we would have no state colleges or universities and everyone would have to pay private school tuition, which would make the problem even worse).
Actually, it IS the government's involvement that caused tuitions to skyrocket. Social engineering fail, again.

[My emphasis.]

Yeah like president Obama....magna cum laude from Harvard.

I will have to defend him on his time in harvard law. All my contacts.. of students who were there with him... and opinions of his professors.... all claim he was brilliant...

Actually, it IS the government's involvement that caused tuitions to skyrocket. Social engineering fail, again.

bingo!

When schools see a profit in a nice fat government check..... they take it.

Forum List

Back