ST's BP Rantings

mms may require those devices but they are not responsible for the rig's inpection and compliance with cfr's covering modu's (cfr 46) that perview falls under the uscg's ocmi in the particular district they're in.
Also the rig is inspected by bp safety personnel before they accept the contract from the company owning the rig...in this case transocean. They must demonstrate the operation of these safety devices yearly when their inspection certificate is renewed.

it has been 25+ years since i have been on a platform, they use to be the governing body.....tough to deal with back then, very demanding and for good reason....

ocmi?

No, MMS....from '77 to '87 worked for major oil tool company, sub surface safety valves where our #1 product, industry leader, I am sure a lot has changed since then and I am sure I have forgotten a lot as well.....what is ocmi?

Perhaps if government would allow drilling elsewhere other than in deep water, spills like this wouldn't occur or at least could be dealt with much better.

Possibly....you can regulate the shit out of the industry and make it so expensive to operate that people will just say "fuck it...let gas go to 10 dollars a gallon and send all of our money to the middle east."

Equating a way to no matter how expensive to mechanically prevent oil spills as "regulating the fuck out of the industry" is irresponsible.

Wrong. There comes a point when too much regulation is bad. You can NEVER PLAN FOR NOR PREVENT EVERY SINGLE THING THAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG. Your statement lacks any merit whatsoever and is indicative of what's wrong with the liberal philosophy on government regulation of industry. Blaming all of the world's problems on the right makes you and those like you look like jackasses...so..have at it.

it has been 25+ years since i have been on a platform, they use to be the governing body.....tough to deal with back then, very demanding and for good reason....

ocmi?

No, MMS....from '77 to '87 worked for major oil tool company, sub surface safety valves where our #1 product, industry leader, I am sure a lot has changed since then and I am sure I have forgotten a lot as well.....what is ocmi?

The Coast Guard Regulatory body that's responsible for certifying and inspecting the safety devices, among many other things, on MODU's and most of the ships sailing in U.S. waters.

OCMI stands for Officer in Charge Marine Inspection. It's a major part of the Coast Guard.

so back in the 70's an oil rig off the coast of santa barbara blew....up to that time something like 12 million barrels had spilled.....regulations were then written that required that we drill 50 miles off shore in deeper water with higher risk .....since that time something like 2 million barrels have spilled .....

Possibly....you can regulate the shit out of the industry and make it so expensive to operate that people will just say "fuck it...let gas go to 10 dollars a gallon and send all of our money to the middle east."

Equating a way to no matter how expensive to mechanically prevent oil spills as "regulating the fuck out of the industry" is irresponsible.

Wrong. There comes a point when too much regulation is bad. You can NEVER PLAN FOR NOR PREVENT EVERY SINGLE THING THAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG. Your statement lacks any merit whatsoever and is indicative of what's wrong with the liberal philosophy on government regulation of industry. Blaming all of the world's problems on the right makes you and those like you look like jackasses...so..have at it.

I expected nothing less. Greedy stupid people will ALWAYS make excuses for thier blunders. The "Who Knew" defense card was already played by Donald Rumsfeld.

If the U.S. had required something called an "acoustic switch" to be installed on the rig, which cost a paltry $500,000 (compared to BP's billions in annual profits and the millions they are spending daily to fix their mess)

Leaking Oil Well Lacked Safeguard Device - WSJ.com

What part of "the efficiency of the device is unclear" do you not understand? To imply this device would have prevented the disaster is disingenuous.

If the U.S. had required something called an "acoustic switch" to be installed on the rig, which cost a paltry $500,000 (compared to BP's billions in annual profits and the millions they are spending daily to fix their mess)

What part of "the efficiency of the device is unclear" do you not understand? To imply this device would have prevented the disaster is disingenuous.

With the risks involved it is criminal to attempt drilling without a responsible back up plan within a reasonable distance to put into effect. This is a clear case of not if but when and where. As important as oil is to our economy and national defense and the results of failing to contain a spill.....and as gung ho as the industry is to drill....who should be required to prepare? This was preventable. How? Not drilling ...ya halfwits. Maybe not with existing safegards ?.....then we should have and now will absolutely have to invent the fool proof system. Maybe retro fit one of those old aircraft carriers..or weld a couple of them together..... Just for emergency ops. Maybe stationed near Key West. Even if it took a week or two to get on site it would be an improvement on three fuckin months.

Couple o carriers should be a big enough platform to cap anything. Even if it cost a billion ...ten billion a year to maintain something ready to go it would be worth the insurance. Christ.... they should be able to haul a big concrete tube out there with sections and sink the thing down a mile or more to contain any spill in any weather... Its just a matter of scale. If its big enough and powerfull enough...nuclear... even a hurricaine could be dealt with.

With the risks involved it is criminal to attempt drilling without a responsible back up plan within a reasonable distance to put into effect. This is a clear case of not if but when and where. As important as oil is to our economy and national defense and the results of failing to contain a spill.....and as gung ho as the industry is to drill....who should be required to prepare? This was preventable. How? Not drilling ...ya halfwits. Maybe not with existing safegards ?.....then we should have and now will absolutely have to invent the fool proof system. Maybe retro fit one of those old aircraft carriers..or weld a couple of them together..... Just for emergency ops. Maybe stationed near Key West. Even if it took a week or two to get on site it would be an improvement on three fuckin months.

Couple o carriers should be a big enough platform to cap anything. Even if it cost a billion ...ten billion a year to maintain something ready to go it would be worth the insurance. Christ.... they should be able to haul a big concrete tube out there with sections and sink the thing down a mile or more to contain any spill in any weather... Its just a matter of scale. If its big enough and powerfull enough...nuclear... even a hurricaine could be dealt with.

You really shouldn't comment on something that you know nothing about. Fact is all rigs have fail safe devices such as blowout preventers (BOP), downhole safety valves (DSV) and pressure safty valves (PSV), unfortunately in this case the blowout preventer failed, which could have been due to improper installation.

Another fact is that oil rig blowouts rarely have a major oil release., the last major release was the Sedco 135F in 1979 drilling the IXTOC I well for PEMEX a state-owned Mexican petroleum company. That blowout released over three million barrels.

The last big release was Blake IV and Greenhill Petroleum Corp. Well 250, it was a workover rig that blewout in 1992 in Timbalier Bay, it took 11 days to cap.

There will always be the potential for accidents, and most accidents are cause by human failure not mechanical failure.

I like how you assume that regulations never prevent accidents just because you don't hear about it on the news. Why would the news even report that? Its a non-event. "Today an accident did NOT occur..."

Can you show examples of where regulations prevented much of anything? I see liberals say that "if a regulation was in place" all the time concerning everything from the financial industry to now this yet Regulations.gov has literally hundreds of thousands of regulations.

If only they had this one huh?

My, what a "deep and intelligent" statement.

OK, I have some examples:

Democrats fought Wall Street deregulation so the Economic breakdown never happened.

Democrats fought the deregulation of mining companies replacing "regulation" at OSHA with "voluntary compliance" so the mine disaster never happened.

Of course, Democrats lost those battles, Republcians won, companies won, the American people suffered.

I've heard this over and over again. Can you tell me specifically what was deregulated, i.e. legislation, that allowed the 'economic breakdown that republicans passed and democrats fought?

You really shouldn't comment on something that you know nothing about. Fact is all rigs have fail safe devices such as blowout preventers (BOP), downhole safety valves (DSV) and pressure safty valves (PSV), unfortunately in this case the blowout preventer failed, which could have been due to improper installation.

Another fact is that oil rig blowouts rarely have a major oil release., the last major release was the Sedco 135F in 1979 drilling the IXTOC I well for PEMEX a state-owned Mexican petroleum company. That blowout released over three million barrels.

The last big release was Blake IV and Greenhill Petroleum Corp. Well 250, it was a workover rig that blewout in 1992 in Timbalier Bay, it took 11 days to cap.

There will always be the potential for accidents, and most accidents are cause by human failure not mechanical failure.

OOOPS! I guess we should inform Gunny that its your board now! Go fuck your self cowgirl.

We are just carrying a conversation here sparky. Being almost probably twice as smart as you I'll take my chances catching up to speed on the facts.

I didn't suggest there was nothing available or in place but the bottom line is that whatever was there failed. My suggestion is for an ultimate no fail back up plan. In hindsight it isn't such a dumb idea. How many barrels of spilliage is acceptable? You don't think the difference of 2million gallons then capped vs 100million gallons would be worth having the ultimate back up plan available?
No... that isn't it is it ya little faggot. You just like flapping your gums hard when ta can't find a dick to soften the blows.

Did I mention...Go Fuck Yourself. I'm glad Texas beaches are next... I'm sure your input will be real valuable down there.:lol::lol::lol: Fucking dolt!

Last edited:

We certainly wouldn't want a safety device that might have worked, because then this tragedy might have been avoided, and that would have been an unacceptable result.

What scum this limeys are. I guess they never got over the waxing they got at the Battle of New Orleans.
Alabama Attorney General Troy King said tonight that he has told representatives of BP Plc. that they should stop circulating settlement agreements among coastal Alabamians.

The agreements, King said, essentially require that people give up the right to sue in exchange for payment of up to $5,000.

BP told to stop circulating settlement agreements with coastal Alabamians | al.com

What scum this limeys are. I guess they never got over the waxing they got at the Battle of New Orleans.
Alabama Attorney General Troy King said tonight that he has told representatives of BP Plc. that they should stop circulating settlement agreements among coastal Alabamians.

The agreements, King said, essentially require that people give up the right to sue in exchange for payment of up to $5,000.

BP told to stop circulating settlement agreements with coastal Alabamians | al.com

:clap2::clap2::clap2:Brilliant! Way to add to the board! :clap2:

New Topics

Forum List

Back