Struggling On $174,000 A Year

I do not see how one can struggle at 174,000$. My family, which is four, goes on about 74,000$, although I think we make less then that if correct.

If you are making $174k/year and are struggling you are a financial retard.

What does that say about our politicians in Washington who are struggling to keep spending below what we take in?

That they are financial retards of epic proportions. So it's a double whammy for the Congressman in the OP.

I do not see how one can struggle at 174,000$. My family, which is four, goes on about 74,000$, although I think we make less then that if correct.

They struggle the same way a government that brings ill trillions of dollars struggles, buy spending more than they have.

If I made 174,000$ I'd for sure have a nicer vehicle, and a home of my own, etc, but I'd make it a simple house, and a fuel-efficient car, and most likely not brand new (except maybe a Jeep Patriot).

Hmm, I would not call someone a retard who has money issues, but in this case...I'd say you need to take some self-finance programs.

there was some player,forget his name, a few years back with the 76ers who made 13 mill a year and wanted his contract re-negotiated.....he was pissed because he had to pay for his families health Ins.....felt the sixers should pick that up.....what a dick....

Wow. We're really sinking as a nation. It used to be that millionaires were the Evul Rich.

Then those who make $250K per year were promoted to that category.

And now, people who earn $174K and must live in two places to do their jobs are RICH.

Watch out! You're Next!

But teachers making $100,000 a year is way too much, right?

Last edited:

there was some player,forget his name, a few years back with the 76ers who made 13 mill a year and wanted his contract re-negotiated.....he was pissed because he had to pay for his families health Ins.....felt the sixers should pick that up.....what a dick....

I believe you are thinking about Latrell Spreewell back in like '03 or '04 complaining that he "had a family to feed"

I believe you are thinking about Latrell Spreewell back in like '03 or '04 complaining that he "had a family to feed"

Hmm, I guess my reply to someone saying that, making that much money is:

If you do not want to feed your family, then I suggest you not create a family. (Originally said "do not have a family" but wanted to re-type.)

So he is struggling at 174,000/year but teachers need a pay cut from 51K because they are so rich?

Republican logic, never makes sense.

I haven't seen anyone advocating cutting teachers' salaries - it's the excessive pensions and health care for life benefits which need to be reformed.

Don't bother them with facts. They are to busy making shit up.

Bullshit.

They want to cut teachers salaries.

Of course you do not have one quote, or one sound bite, to prove that. You simply believe it and want us to. So far all they have cut is benefits. In Wisconsin the teachers still have the right to collective Bargaining over Wages, they lost the right over pensions and benefits, and things like over time. Put up some evidence maybe?

Its the whole point of Union Busting, they don't want to pay them anything which reduce the budget of education. They hate teachers and don't want to pay them. Wages are only suppose to increase to the cost of living. Thats it. Good teachers will never get a performance raise.

Its the whole plan of republicans, kill education for our children and make them work.

You made a claim. You claimed that Republicans in Wisconsin want to cut teachers PAY. Provide evidence or admit you are full of shit.

One-Fifth of House Freshmen Sleep in Offices - CBS Evening News - CBS News

THE LIST

Freshmen Members of the U.S. House of Representatives sleeping in their Washington, D.C., offices:

Republicans (19)
Steve Chabot (OH-1st), 58
Sean Duffy (WI-7th), 39
Stephen Fincher (TN-8th), 37
Chris Gibson (NY-20), 46
Tim Griffin (AR-2nd), 42
Paul Gosar (AZ-1st), 52
Trey Gowdy (SC-4th), 46
Morgan Griffith (VA-9th), 52
Richard Hanna (NY-24), 59
Joe Heck (NV-3rd), 49
Bill Huizenga (MI-2nd), 41
Bill Johnson (OH-6th), 56
James Lankford (OK-5th), 42
Patrick Meehan (PA-7th), 55
Todd Rokita (IN-4th), 40
Steve Stivers (OH-15th), 45
Joe Walsh (IL-8th), 49
Todd Young (IN-9th), 38
Tim Walberg (MI-7th), 59

Democrats (2)
John Carney (DE-At large), 54
Hansen Clarke (MI-13th), 53

One-Fifth of House Freshmen Sleep in Offices - CBS Evening News - CBS News

THE LIST

Freshmen Members of the U.S. House of Representatives sleeping in their Washington, D.C., offices:

Republicans (19)
Steve Chabot (OH-1st), 58
Sean Duffy (WI-7th), 39
Stephen Fincher (TN-8th), 37
Chris Gibson (NY-20), 46
Tim Griffin (AR-2nd), 42
Paul Gosar (AZ-1st), 52
Trey Gowdy (SC-4th), 46
Morgan Griffith (VA-9th), 52
Richard Hanna (NY-24), 59
Joe Heck (NV-3rd), 49
Bill Huizenga (MI-2nd), 41
Bill Johnson (OH-6th), 56
James Lankford (OK-5th), 42
Patrick Meehan (PA-7th), 55
Todd Rokita (IN-4th), 40
Steve Stivers (OH-15th), 45
Joe Walsh (IL-8th), 49
Todd Young (IN-9th), 38
Tim Walberg (MI-7th), 59

Democrats (2)
John Carney (DE-At large), 54
Hansen Clarke (MI-13th), 53

So much for the two house theory.

Of course you do not have one quote, or one sound bite, to prove that. You simply believe it and want us to. So far all they have cut is benefits. In Wisconsin the teachers still have the right to collective Bargaining over Wages, they lost the right over pensions and benefits, and things like over time. Put up some evidence maybe?

Its the whole point of Union Busting, they don't want to pay them anything which reduce the budget of education. They hate teachers and don't want to pay them. Wages are only suppose to increase to the cost of living. Thats it. Good teachers will never get a performance raise.

Its the whole plan of republicans, kill education for our children and make them work.

You made a claim. You claimed that Republicans in Wisconsin want to cut teachers PAY. Provide evidence or admit you are full of shit.

well, if they don't want to cut teachers' pay to balance the budget then it must be about union busting.

so you're saying they're liars?

Ah, poor baby.

Struggling to make on only three times the median family income in the USA (not including his congressional expenses which are are another quarter million plus per year?)

Yeah, my heart truly bleeds for this guy.

Must be tough.

Forgive me RGS, I appointed you as chief idiot at USMB but now I see I should have made it a co-chair with Dicca.
Crowds of protesters in Wisconsin have been growing since Republican Gov. Scott Walker proposed pay cuts and an end to collective bargaining rights for Minnesota unions.
Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker has proposed pay cuts for teachers and local government workers of up to nine percent. Additionally, Walker wants to strip unions of their collective bargaining power, which would effectively bust the unions.
Teacher Pay Cuts, Union Busting Move Sparks Wisconsin Protests - by Maryann Tobin

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. We're really sinking as a nation. It used to be that millionaires were the Evul Rich.

And now, people who earn $174K and must live in two places to do their jobs are RICH.

Watch out! You're Next!

liberalism = sameness. If you can't make everyone rich, make everyone poor...

Watch out! You're Next!

Sure ... and conservatism is about making a few hundred people rich and everyone else poor :cuckoo:

$174K is just his salary, it doesn't include his bennies.

It was just a week or two ago that the rightwingers were melting down over how rich teachers are in Wisconsin.

Watch out! You're Next!

Sure ... and conservatism is about making a few hundred people rich and everyone else poor :cuckoo:
True but we're using rich and poor in different ways. You're using it as a liberal religious point that you're poor if someone else has more money then you. You can have a house, two cars, cable TV and enough food to be a heifer in your system and be poor because some rich cock sucking bastard has more money then you do. In my system you're rich if you are a free man in control of your own destiny operating in a free market for employees and consumers.

I don't suffer from wealth envy and you don't value being a free man. We'd never see it the same way.

True but we're using rich and poor in different ways. You're using it as a liberal religious point that you're poor if someone else has more money then you. You can have a house, two cars, cable TV and enough food to be a heifer in your system and be poor because some rich cock sucking bastard has more money then you do. In my system you're rich if you are a free man in control of your own destiny operating in a free market for employees and consumers.

I don't suffer from wealth envy and you don't value being a free man. We'd never see it the same way.

Not being a nutter, I don't see it either way.

I find it pathetic how the definition of rich is being defined down to families that make $174K per year. By the 2012 election, it's going to be below $100K, fo shizzle.

I find it pathetic that cons insist on warping every discussion about money into a 'definition of rich.' Who the eff said anything about the 'definition of rich,' besides of course, you?

I find it pathetic that people in any party or from any political persuasion constaly obsess over how much money a person makes rather than who they are as a person.

Whether someone is rich or poor doesn't make them any less my brother (though them being female would make them my sister).

Class is an illusion. It's a political construct. You cannot end class warfare until you stop seeing people as rich or poor and start recognizing them as your fellow man regardless of their wealth.

If one man through his labor makes more than me, then good for him! If another man through his labor makes less, than I'll do what I can to help better himself and survive.

We need to let go of our pride and our coveteousness. Be grateful for what we have and stop wanting what others have.

Watch out! You're Next!

That's not the point. The facts remains that:

1) He ran for the job.

2) He knew (or should have known) how much the job paid.

3) Guess what? If they wanted to congress could vote themselves a HUGE pay increase.

And from what I'm reading here the conservatives on this board would heartily approve of that pay increase.

Forum List

Back