Struggling On $174,000 A Year

....Rep. Sean Duffy as out of touch after the lawmaker--and former Real World cast member--claimed to be struggling on his $174,000 a year salary

Dems excoriate Rep. Sean Duffy for ‘struggle’ on Congressional salary - Yahoo! News
"His reported liabilities total between $430,005 to $950,000."​
Whew!!!!

He must have (by now) figured-out those D.C. lap-dancin' rates are much higher than the ones, back home!!!

eusa_doh.gif

Well he has certain expenses as a congressman that he has to pay for. He also has to live in one of the most expensive places in the country and fly back to Wisconsin to stay in touch with his constituents and maybe even maintain residence there. Why do you think the congressional paycheck is so much larger than other public employees? This guy doesn't have millions of dollars to pay for all these expenses like all the major politicians. It is very rarely I defend a Republican but I can't just let this guy get bashed for sacrificing to try and help(in his opinion) our country.

Wow. We're really sinking as a nation. It used to be that millionaires were the Evul Rich.

Then those who make $250K per year were promoted to that category.

And now, people who earn $174K and must live in two places to do their jobs are RICH.

Watch out! You're Next!

Well he has certain expenses as a congressman that he has to pay for. He also has to live in one of the most expensive places in the country and fly back to Wisconsin to stay in touch with his constituents and maybe even maintain residence there. Why do you think the congressional paycheck is so much larger than other public employees? This guy doesn't have millions of dollars to pay for all these expenses like all the major politicians. It is very rarely I defend a Republican but I can't just let this guy get bashed for sacrificing to try and help(in his opinion) our country.

You do realize that they get allowances and expenses along with the base salary, right? They get allowances whether they use it or not. When was the last time you recieved something in the mail from your Congressman?

Official Office Expenses Allowance Component of the MRA
The MRA also is available to pay ordinary and necessary business expenses incurred in support
of official and representational duties to the district from which a member has been elected. The
official office expenses allowance component of the MRA varies for each member.
A base allowance of $256,574 was authorized for each member in 2010.
http://www.senate.gov/CRSReports/crs-publish.cfm?pid='0E,*PL[%3D%23P%20%20%0A

Wow. We're really sinking as a nation. It used to be that millionaires were the Evul Rich.

And now, people who earn $174K and must live in two places to do their jobs are RICH.

Watch out! You're Next!

And you (and those that thanked you) know darn well that if it was a Dem you would be raking him over the coals. Especially for complaining about his tax payer paid salary.

Watch out! You're Next!

And you (and those that thanked you) know darn well that if it was a Dem you would be raking him over the coals. Especially for complaining about his tax payer paid salary.

I thanked her.....and kind of raked him over the coals....I didn't even mention the payola from the lobbyists. :eusa_whistle:

Reminds me of the Repub who started complaining about Heathcare after getting elected in '10 running on an anti-gov't healthcare-platform LOLOL

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp9W0avsfoQ&feature=related]YouTube - GOP freshman: Where's my Government health care?[/ame]​

Last edited:
He seems to be deeply in debt. Doesn't matter how much you get, if most of it is going down the compound interest sinkhole.

But OpenSecrets deems Duffy's minimum net worth at $-837,984 and his maximum net worth at $2,995. Duffy's personal financial disclosure statement filed in May 2010 revealed he and his wife, author Rachel Campos-Duffy, earned $154,000 in 2009 and in the first half of 2010, Duffy and his wife reported earning $35,200. His reported liabilities total between $430,005 to $950,000. Duffy is due to file his next financial disclosure in May of this year.

....Rep. Sean Duffy as out of touch after the lawmaker--and former Real World cast member--claimed to be struggling on his $174,000 a year salary

Dems excoriate Rep. Sean Duffy for ‘struggle’ on Congressional salary - Yahoo! News

We do not really know enough to make a judgment. Is he married? Does he have kids? Is his the only income? Where does he live? I assume he maintains 2 homes? one in the Capital?

there are places in this country, where a family with 2 or 3 kids, would struggle on 174 grand a year. After all the taxes he pays. I am sure he only takes home about 85grand. If he has 2 mortgages, College to pay for, for his kids, and lives in a place like NYC or Cali. He could indeed be struggling. I mean come on people. To send your kids to a good school can cost you 30 or 40 Grand a year right there :)

That is why it is so blatantly false to just come up with a number and say anyone who makes more than that is Rich and has to much money.

I get by on my income here in Michigan. In California I would not make it. Cost of Living is much much higher there.

Last edited:

We do not really know enough to make a judgment. Is he married? Does he have kids? Is his the only income? Where does he live? I assume he maintains 2 homes? one in the Capital?

there are places in this country, where a family with 2 or 3 kids, would struggle on 174 grand a year. After all the taxes he pays. I am sure he only takes home about 85grand. If he has 2 mortgages, College to pay for, for his kids, and lives in a place like NYC or Cali. He could indeed be struggling. I mean come on people. To send your kids to a good school can cost you 30 or 40 Grand a year right there :)

That is why it is so blatantly false to just come up with a number and say anyone who makes more than that is Rich and has to much money.

I get by on my income here in Michigan. In California I would not make it. Cost of Living is much much higher there.

I agree. We need to know more.....

How much allowance does he get for living expenses?

How much allowance does he get for office expenses?

How much allowance does he get for staff?

Did he NOT know beforehand what the job paid?

Did he NOT make adjustments to compensate?

I agree. We need to know more.....

How much allowance does he get for living expenses?

How much allowance does he get for office expenses?

How much allowance does he get for staff?

Did he NOT know beforehand what the job paid?

Did he NOT make adjustments to compensate?

All legitimate questions that however do not change the fact that If you are supporting your spouse and a few kids, and live somewhere with a high cost of living, that you could struggle to live on that salary.

Watch out! You're Next!

So find a Democrat making the same amount. You're the one who singled out this Republican.

The thread boils down to this- a Republican who has something that you don't.
You want it, you can't have it.

Accept your lot in life.

I did a quick estimate of what it could cost a two income family living in CA in terms of taxes and expenses. It's not a high life style.

Gross Income 174,000.0
401K contribution 26,100.0
Pre-Tax Health 4,800.0
Adjusted Income 143,100.0

Federal Taxes 36,000.0
CA State taxes 9,700.0
FICA 11,252.1
Property Taxes 6,000.0
Total Taxes 62,952.1

After tax income 80,147.9

Mortgage & Insurance 30,000.0
Car payments & Insurance 6,000.0
Gasoline 3,600.0
Utilities 4,800.0
Food 9,600.0
Phone & Internet 1,800.0
Dining Out 2,400.0
Clothing 3,000.0
Childcare 12,000.0
Houshold 1,600.0
Entertainment 1,200.0
Life Insurance 1,200.0
Personal Care 1,200.0
Car & House Maintenance 2,000.0

Total Expenses 80,400.0

Balance (252.1)

He thinks he struggles? He should go visit some of those teachers that Walker hates so much.

Another question that has to be asked: Why won't Walker cut his own pension and benefits to help fix the budget? Gotta lead by example!

I did a quick estimate of what it could cost a two income family living in CA in terms of taxes and expenses. It's not a high life style.

Gross Income 174,000.0
401K contribution 26,100.0
Pre-Tax Health 4,800.0
Adjusted Income 143,100.0

Federal Taxes 36,000.0
CA State taxes 9,700.0
FICA 11,252.1
Property Taxes 6,000.0
Total Taxes 62,952.1

After tax income 80,147.9

Mortgage & Insurance 30,000.0
Car payments & Insurance 6,000.0
Gasoline 3,600.0
Utilities 4,800.0
Food 9,600.0
Phone & Internet 1,800.0
Dining Out 2,400.0
Clothing 3,000.0
Childcare 12,000.0
Houshold 1,600.0
Entertainment 1,200.0
Life Insurance 1,200.0
Personal Care 1,200.0
Car & House Maintenance 2,000.0

Total Expenses 80,400.0

Balance (252.1)

Exactly and your list of expenses does not even consider sending kids to college. Which if you have a couple of bright kids of college age who get into good schools, can be a lot.

Exactly and your list of expenses does not even consider sending kids to college. Which if you have a couple of bright kids of college age who get into good schools, can be a lot.

They are adults. They can pay their own way through college.

Forum List

Back