Strom Thurmond...Jesse Helms...Where Was the Reverence Then??

Oddball

Unobtanium Member
Jan 3, 2009
Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
IM not-in-the-least HO, neither Thurmond nor Helms really deserved to have had their wrinkled up old butts parked in the Senate for anywhere near as long as they were.

Thurmond was a segregationationist-turned-neocon, and the only thing I can recall Helms doing of any relative value is whistling Dixie when he was in an elevator with Maxine "Pickle Puss" Waters.

While Three Martini Ted used his name to evade service in Korea, Thurmond was a Normandy vet and bona-fide ass kicker:

After the outbreak of World War II, Judge Thurmond resigned from the bench to serve in the U.S. Army, rising to Lieutenant Colonel. In the Battle of Normandy (June 6 – August 25, 1944), he landed in a glider attached to the 82nd Airborne Division. For his military service, he received 18 decorations, medals and awards, including the Legion of Merit with Oak Leaf Cluster, Bronze Star with Valor device, Purple Heart, World War II Victory Medal, European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal, Belgium's Order of the Crown and France's Croix de Guerre. During 1954–55 he was president of the Reserve Officers Association. He later retired from the U.S. Army Reserves with the rank of Major General.

Strom Thurmond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Aside from the aforementioned encounter, Helms was the longest serving elected Senator in NC, and every bit the kind of hardassed party man that the hack from Hyannis was.

Where were the leftists in media and elsewhere when those old "loins" kicked the bucket??

To repeat....Fuck Ted Kennedy.

Last edited:
Kennedy had a drinking problem and was far from perfect. That said, he was genuinely personally helpful to many people and was responsible pushing through legislation that helped Americans, including the soldiers in Iraq.

You are free to be bitter but there are many people that are grateful for the impact he had on their lives.

Here is a short article listing a very few of those he helped.

How Kennedy's Legislation Helped You Today - ABC News

IM not-in-the-least HO, neither Thurmond nor Helms really deserved to have had their wrinkled up old butts parked in the Senate for anywhere near as long as they were.

Thurmond was a segregationationist-turned-neocon, and the only thing I can recall Helms doing of any relative value is whistling Dixie when he was in an elevator with Maxine "Pickle Puss" Waters.

While Three Martini Ted used his name to evade service in Korea, Thurmond was a Normandy vet and bona-fide ass kicker:

After the outbreak of World War II, Judge Thurmond resigned from the bench to serve in the U.S. Army, rising to Lieutenant Colonel. In the Battle of Normandy (June 6 – August 25, 1944), he landed in a glider attached to the 82nd Airborne Division. For his military service, he received 18 decorations, medals and awards, including the Legion of Merit with Oak Leaf Cluster, Bronze Star with Valor device, Purple Heart, World War II Victory Medal, European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal, Belgium's Order of the Crown and France's Croix de Guerre. During 1954–55 he was president of the Reserve Officers Association. He later retired from the U.S. Army Reserves with the rank of Major General.

Aside from the aforementioned encounter, Helms was the longest serving elected Senator in NC, and every bit the kind of hardassed party man that the hack from Hyannis was.

Where were the leftists in media and elsewhere when those old "loins" kicked the bucket??

Dude, what you think is totally irrelevant to anything, so do yourself a favor and wander away somewhere and stare at a hole in the floor. Strom Thurmond was Mr. Dixiecrat, a bum, and a general all-around under-the-white-sheet racist. You don't like all this? Kiss my butt. Take it elsewhere.

Dude, what you think is totally irrelevant to anything, so do yourself a favor and wander away somewhere and stare at a hole in the floor. Strom Thurmond was Mr. Dixiecrat, a bum, and a general all-around under-the-white-sheet racist. You don't like all this? Kiss my butt. Take it elsewhere.

Ah. there's the humanitarian liberal reverence we were looking for. Give Ringo a prize, Dude.

Kennedy had a drinking problem and was far from perfect. That said, he was genuinely personally helpful to many people and was responsible pushing through legislation that helped Americans, including the soldiers in Iraq.

You are free to be bitter but there are many people that are grateful for the impact he had on their lives.

I have to wonder why the excessive and insane rage toward kennedy from the rightwingnuts. There's something pathologic about it.....

but then again, they hate anyone on the left who's effective.

Kennedy's flaws are just an excuse for them.

I have to wonder why the excessive and insane rage toward kennedy from the rightwingnuts. There's something pathologic about it.....

This could easily be turned and the exact reason nothing get done ... united my ass!

No... KENNEDY did not HELP.. Kennedy tried to have government gain in size and power to be used for supposed "help"

No... KENNEDY did not HELP.. Kennedy tried to have government gain in size and power to be used for supposed "help"

that's a philosophical difference, DD. most people think that things like education, health care and civil rights are pretty important.

so whether you *think* he helped or not, he advanced his worldview... probably more than either of his brothers did.

and thats why the unbelievable hatred from the rightwingnuts ... who can't even be respectful when someone dies.

I'd like to point out to Jill at this time I have made zero comments about the fat ton of shit's political record, and that I dispise and loathe him for his personal behavior.

So kiddo, stop painting with that broad brush.

Ah. there's the humanitarian liberal reverence we were looking for. Give Ringo a prize, Dude.

Hi, bingo. I am neither liberal nor reverent. I will, however, take folks (like you, for instance) to the woodshed for a beating when they deserve it. Strom Thurmond, brave as he was, was a punk racist. Ted Kennedy, as good a public servant as he was, was a coward at critical point in his life, and another person died because of that cowardice.

If you judge the civic service over the decades, Kennedy's peers, I think, would rate him far about Thurmond. Let's be balanced here.

Last edited:

I don't get it either. I was just reading how he helped a couple who's son was killed in Iraq...they were Republicans and weren't sure if they should ask him...something about body armor. Nice to know that out there in the real world people aren't the partisan assholes they project to be here.

I don't get it either. I was just reading how he helped a couple who's son was killed in Iraq...they were Republicans and weren't sure if they should ask him...something about body armor. Nice to know that out there in the real world people aren't the partisan assholes they project to be here.

From all reports, he didn't care about the politics of the people he helped. And if it was something he couldn't do politically, he sent them to Orin Hatch.

I am very grateful that this board isn't representative of the true politics of this country.

What I'm surprised at is the lack of class exhibited by so many people. Though I suppose given what we see every day, I shouldn't be.

I'd like to point out to Jill at this time I have made zero comments about the fat ton of shit's political record, and that I dispise and loathe him for his personal behavior.

There is a reason I used the term rightwingnuts and not "repubs" or the "right".

no broad brush.

i don't number you among rightwingnuts. :eusa_shhh:

(although last i heard, someone's weight doesn't make them decent or not...) :eusa_whistle:

So you admit that you are a rightwing nut? :rofl:

Yes, yes, yes.....Lefites are sooooo caring and compassionate......especially when everyone else is picking up the tab for their caring and compassion.

So, how much of the old Liberal Lounge Lizard's fortune is going to help the oft touted "little guy", that he allegedly cared sooooo much about?...Zilch, that's how much.

Now, to get the thread back on track, where was all the reverence from the left for Hems and Thurmond?

Last edited:
You can find good and and bad in everyone. Even me.. I know that's hard to believe, but it's true. Ted Kennedy, was the epitome of what a liberal is, he wanted those that worked to pay for those that didn't, in other words, he was generous with other people's money. Those on the right are no more venomous towards Kennedy as the left was to Tony Snow or Ronald Reagan.

Yes, yes, yes.....Lefites are sooooo caring and compassionate......especially when everyone else is picking up the tab for their caring and compassion.

So, how much of the old Liberal Lounge Lizard's fortune is going to help the oft touted "little guy", that he allegedly cared sooooo much about?...Zilch, that's how much.

Now, to get the thread back on track, where was all the reverence from the left for Hems and Thurmond?
Thurmond knocked up a fifteen year old. I'm kind of surprised he's anyone's hero...except the odd white supremist.

Now, to get the thread back on track, where was all the reverence from the left for Hems and Thurmond?[/quote]Thurmond knocked up a fifteen year old. I'm kind of surprised he's anyone's hero...except the odd white supremist.[/QUOTE]

You mean like KKK Byrd:lol:

Forum List

Back