Stripers!

CSM

Jul 7, 2004
Northeast US
Just spent the past week fishing up in Maine. Caught a whole bunch of stripers. I was on my boat allllll week and went fishing EVERY DAY!! It doesn't get any better than that.

Most of the ones I caught were between 18" and 30". Lots of fun, for sure. I am learning that you dont need a whole lot of fancy gear to fish for stripers: a good sturdy rod, 20lb test line, and a few lures. Mackarel jigs work great by the way. Timing is everything too. A few hours off low tide seemed to produce the best results for me.

Too busy fishing to take pics. Though from what I am being told by the locals, the size fish I caught were not bragging caliber anyway. I do have some really nice pics of the sunsets (and my boat) while I was up there.

CSM said:
Most of the ones I caught were between 18" and 30". Lots of fun, for sure. I am learning that you dont need a whole lot of fancy gear to fish for stripers: a good sturdy rod, 20lb test line, and a few lures. Mackarel jigs work great by the way. Timing is everything too. A few hours off low tide seemed to produce the best results for me.

Very true--thats' exactly what we use in Texas--no tides to worry about however. Stripers put up a good fight!

I catch and release too. Leaves more fish for later on!

They tell me the bluefish will start running soon and I cant wait to try catching them thigs.

i catch and release everything but cats and panfish! decent cats are few and far between around here, and you can never have enough pan fish!

Forum List

Back