Striking Union Workers Hurl Racial Epithets

You still havn't answered the question of if violence is OK to use against people going to work.
To pose the question in such simplistic and diluted form indicates that you don't understand the situation. So I'll explain it.

My understanding of the news report is the striking employees are unionized and have a contract which is under renewal. All of the renewal terms have been agreed on but the union's lawyer has found language in the terms submitted by the company which would permit arbitrary dismissal (layoff) and replacement of union workers, thereby enabling the company to gradually replace the entire union work force with non-union (scab) labor. The union is demanding removal of those terms and the company has not only refused but has commenced to exercise the proposed intention by bringing in scabs in conflict with terms of the existing contract.

This is boldface union busting. So the situation is not as simple as you either think it is or are trying to present it as.
Yeah, Westy. You're just not nuanced enough to understand that union thugs breaking kneecaps is good for America.

To be a racist, you have to think a certain race is lesser and discriminate against them. To point out differences or racists doesn't make one a racist, or wrong. This new RW definition is BS like the rest of their Pubcrappe...A-holes....LOL!

I'm sorry, what were the blacks calling you at that picket line? You have a history of oppression, genocide, rape, murder, you name it. There is No place on earth, you people haven't gone and created destruction in your wake. Need proof? name a country of color, that you HAVEN'T fucked over. Keep in mind, the first blacks that arrived here, didn't book a cruise.
Stop living in the past. No American alive today was a slave. No American alive today owned slaves.

That's just a crutch to blame personal failures on.

What if I don't have any personal failures?
We've covered that. You're just an asshole.

I grew up in the city of Boston and lived there my entire life until I moved to Charlotte four years ago. I've stated more than once on this forum, in discussions relating to racism and bigotry, that since living in the south I have never heard the word ****** used more than I did from those good ole union Democrats back in Massachusetts.

[...]
The use of racial epithets in casual conversation or as a component of gratuitous "hate" speech is unjustifiable. But in situations where a murderous level of violence has been provoked, such as when a union picket line has been breached by scab labor, to focus on the use of rudely offensive language is simply naive.

The labor situation here in the U.S. has been relatively peaceful in recent years, mainly because the economy has been stable and employment has been high. But the present situation is moving closer and closer to what existed in the days when corporations commonly resisted the formation of unions by introducing scab labor in shops where unions were being organized.

Corporations often hired gangs of "strikebreakers" (goons) to combat union resistance and people were killed or seriously injured in the many violent encounters that took place, some of which required intervention by the Army. So this politically correct hand-wringing over some racial insults directed at a bunch of imported scabs in Boston is like complaining about a little rain shower when a dam could be getting ready to burst.

Those who have an interest in the labor movement and would like a better understanding of its history are urged to use the following link to view an interesting chronology of events.

An Eclectic List of Events in U.S. Labor History
"a murderous level of violence"? The only violence I see is the hate directed at replacement workers. The rest of the world is not stupid. We won't buy into your shit. Racial epithets, destruction of property and taking security guards hostage is YOUR level of violence.

Say it aint so!

Union thugs pissed that because they were stupid and greedy got replaced by ANOTHER AMERICAN WHO NEEDED A JOB deserve what they get.

Hold on, you said in the other thread

As disgusting as it was it was only a few people cheering. There are bad apples in every political group and to insinuate their isnt is just stupid.

I couldn't write this stuff if I tried. Lol

I said the Union crowd got what they deserved (ie, replaced) It had nothing to do with the racial component of this story. NOTHING

Besides it was the Union Thugs using the fowl language so your point makes the usual amount of sense....................NONE

White people are white people, what do you expect?
That is an overt racially biased comment. But I am White and it doesn't bother me a bit. In fact you can call me all the racially derogating words and names you wish and I will laugh in your face. Because I am content with what I am and nothing you can say can change that. And when you reach the same state of mind you will have thrown off the yoke of self-pitying, self-hating misery that holds you back.

"The American negro will not truly be free until the word ****** no longer troubles him. Because the striking of chains and the death of Jim Crow does not free the mind." (James Baldwin; speaking at Columbia University, December, 1964.)

Since I'm racist it seems logical that I would make "overt racially biased comments". I always find it funny that white people think that every black racist is being held back. You have no clue. No clue at all, but thanks for the advice Dr Phil.
It seems that in your example I've presumed something, in which case I stand corrected. But you didn't mention whether you agree with James Baldwin's comment or if you feel he doesn't have a clue either.

Also, I must say I honestly do not know what you mean by the word "racist." That word is so over-used it's come to mean different things to different people. So I will appreciate your telling me specifically what you mean by "racist."

To be a racist, you have to think a certain race is lesser and discriminate against them. To point out differences or racists doesn't make one a racist, or wrong. This new RW definition is BS like the rest of their Pubcrappe...A-holes....LOL!
Dumbass.
Brainwashed dittohead.

"I live in Georgia, as deep south as you can get and I do not hear that N word unless its one black saying it to another period. Its not used and all out lie
Ditto Alabama. Redneck as you can get here and you rarely hear the "N" word at all.

I live in a rural pub area in NY, and plenty of people use it in private. You are isolated or FOS. People on this board use it.

Dumbass.
Brainwashed dittohead.

"I live in Georgia, as deep south as you can get and I do not hear that N word unless its one black saying it to another period. Its not used and all out lie
Ditto Alabama. Redneck as you can get here and you rarely hear the "N" word at all.

I live in a rural pub area in NY, and plenty of people use it in private. You are isolated or FOS. People on this board use it.
Why are you giving me shit for something I didn't say?

Dumbass.
Brainwashed dittohead.

I heard the word used far more in Connecticut than Florida or Alabama and more in Florida than Alabama. Dumbass!

To pose the question in such simplistic and diluted form indicates that you don't understand the situation. So I'll explain it.

My understanding of the news report is the striking employees are unionized and have a contract which is under renewal. All of the renewal terms have been agreed on but the union's lawyer has found language in the terms submitted by the company which would permit arbitrary dismissal (layoff) and replacement of union workers, thereby enabling the company to gradually replace the entire union work force with non-union (scab) labor. The union is demanding removal of those terms and the company has not only refused but has commenced to exercise the proposed intention by bringing in scabs in conflict with terms of the existing contract.

This is boldface union busting. So the situation is not as simple as you either think it is or are trying to present it as.

I think that is a yes, Westwall.

Immie

Yes, I think you are correct. He of course is too cowardly to just admit he and his union brothers feel perfectly allright physically harming people who just wish to go to work. The SEIU is trying to make inroads in northern Nevada but so far, thankfully, they have been rejected.

They are ruining Las Vegas though. We here in the north are getting a lot of business because the convention folks are tired of the union in LV.

I don't know where you live in Northern Nevada, but in my experience (and it has been a while since I have been there) Reno rocks and quite frankly, Vegas sucks.

Immie

I grew up in the city of Boston and lived there my entire life until I moved to Charlotte four years ago. I've stated more than once on this forum, in discussions relating to racism and bigotry, that since living in the south I have never heard the word ****** used more than I did from those good ole union Democrats back in Massachusetts.

[...]
The use of racial epithets in casual conversation or as a component of gratuitous "hate" speech is unjustifiable. But in situations where a murderous level of violence has been provoked, such as when a union picket line has been breached by scab labor, to focus on the use of rudely offensive language is simply naive.

The labor situation here in the U.S. has been relatively peaceful in recent years, mainly because the economy has been stable and employment has been high. But the present situation is moving closer and closer to what existed in the days when corporations commonly resisted the formation of unions by introducing scab labor in shops where unions were being organized.

Corporations often hired gangs of "strikebreakers" (goons) to combat union resistance and people were killed or seriously injured in the many violent encounters that took place, some of which required intervention by the Army. So this politically correct hand-wringing over some racial insults directed at a bunch of imported scabs in Boston is like complaining about a little rain shower when a dam could be getting ready to burst.

Those who have an interest in the labor movement and would like a better understanding of its history are urged to use the following link to view an interesting chronology of events.

"a murderous level of violence"? The only violence I see is the hate directed at replacement workers. The rest of the world is not stupid. We won't buy into your shit. Racial epithets, destruction of property and taking security guards hostage is YOUR level of violence.

You seem to have forgotten the cutting of brake lines on trains. I wonder how many children's lives at the bottom of the mountain that put in danger. But that seems to be okay since those kids parents probably were not union members. They might even have been scabs!

Can you not see what you are saying Mikek? I know you don't feel that way, but damnit, that is what you say when you defend this shit!

Immie

Say it aint so!

Union thugs pissed that because they were stupid and greedy got replaced by ANOTHER AMERICAN WHO NEEDED A JOB deserve what they get.
What do you mean by "stupid and greedy?" Can you document that accusation with facts and figures or is it just something you were told by the unholy trinity of Beck, Limbaugh and Hannity?

A "replacement worker" is better known as a scab and the introduction of scabs is the primary cause of violence in labor conflicts.

What you don't understand is once a union is busted by the introduction of scab labor, which is compensated at a reduced hourly wage, the unprotected scab workers are at the mercy of the company, a circumstance they, themselves, have created by their willingness to nudge union workers out of their jobs. They will soon learn that whatever wage they started with will soon be trimmed at company discretion, their jobs will get harder and harder, and if they don't like it they will quickly see that scabs can be scabbed a lot easier than can organized union workers.

The ultimate effect of scab labor is reduced wages and widespread elimination of all benefits and worker protections.

The bottom line is unions have thorns but in the long run they are the bedrock of the middle class
The job does not belong to the worker. The job belongs to the EMPLOYER.
That said, unions operate by coercing companies to give in to their demands.
This process which unions refer to as "collective bargaining" is not bargaining at all. It's done under the threat of shutting down the business.
Because business owners have become tired of outsiders( union bosses) essentially deciding how a business does business, the business community has steadily closed out labor unions. This is indicated by the very small percentage of organized labor in the private sector.
A business is going to move forward because it has an obligation to the owners and investors to increase revenues.
In this instance it appears this sugar processor has drawn the line. The owners no longer wish to give in to demands and quite frankly, probably can no longer afford to pay the wages and benefits which the union demands.
Where you got the notion that unions have anything to do with the present middle class is a mystery. Again, I cite the less than 8% of private sector workers being unionized. If what you state were true, a much higher percentage of workers would be members of labor organizations.
Unions popularity has waned because of violence. The general public perceives unions in a certain way because of their reaction to adversity. Unions have brought this negative perception upon themselves. It will be their undoing.
This is a nation of laws. Unions operate via mob rule.

[...]

Thank you for an example of a juicy rationalization.
At the end of the day, union people who commit violent acts because they feel they have been harmed is wrong and will not be tolerated by a civilized society.

You may not have wherever you're living. That doesn't mean that there are more people from the south that are not racist. I was born and raised in TX. I have lived in CT for the last 15 years. I rarely hear the word "******" around here. Down in TX, I heard it all the time. Whenever I visit TX, I hear it some more.

I'm not saying that there are no racists up north or no racist Dems. But from my experience, it is more prevalent down south. By the way, how do you know the union workers are all Dems?

I live in Fla. I never hear the N word. Unless it is a black who uses it then they say "we use it with affection" I just smile and nod. Can you tell us why all the major race riots happen to take place in liberalland? HUH?

And I heard it all the time in TX from white people using it in a derogatory manner. Race riots in liberalland? :lol::lol::lol: Drop the ridiculous rhetoric and assumptions.

Detroit, Newark, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia.. All have had at one time or another race riots and all are liberal controlled cities...Need more be said?

I think that is a yes, Westwall.

Immie

Yes, I think you are correct. He of course is too cowardly to just admit he and his union brothers feel perfectly allright physically harming people who just wish to go to work. The SEIU is trying to make inroads in northern Nevada but so far, thankfully, they have been rejected.

[...]
What does the fact that you're now resorting to ad-hominem personal insults reveal?

The simple reality is you and a few others in this discussion are not the kind of men who could possibly belong to the kind of union which is most likely to engage in violent conduct if provoked, such as the ILA, UMW, Teamsters, etc. Because members of those unions are of a different type from you. They are violence-prone, you are not. You would not survive in the kind of work environment they function within.

Your comparatively timid nature is a simple fact of life and my acknowledging it is not intended to offend you. It simply means we are discussing a situation which you should not concern yourself with because it is well outside your sphere of existence.

I stated the reality of your non response. You very skillfully (in your opinion) avoided answering the question. That was what I brought to my response. If you would be so kind to give us your opinion that would be nice because so far you havn't answered it directly. Please do so.

And as far as my "timid nature" goes, I will grant you I do not associate with mindless jackasses who go around swilling beer and beating people up in a gang. That much is very true. I have however, been to more shitholes around the planet and been shot at by far more people then you ever will. Timid doesn't describe me well at all.

Last edited:

Bigotry and racism have no political boundaries, folks. The partisans here who like to consistently pin this behavior on Republicans, conservatives, and the tea party crowd ought to open their eyes and wise up.

GRAND FORKS, N.D. (AP) — Police say union supporters have directed racial slurs and racist symbols at replacement workers and security personnel outside an American Crystal Sugar plant in North Dakota.

Traill County Sheriff Mike Crocker says there have been racial statements made to security people outside of the company's Hillsboro facility. He says he recently saw a monkey-like figure hanging from a noose attached to a large inflatable rat outside the plant. He says it was removed the next day.

The Grand Forks Herald reported Tuesday (AMERICAN CRYSTAL LOCKOUT: Tensions high on the picket line | Grand Forks Herald | Grand Forks, North Dakota) that many of the replacement workers are from Southern states, and some are minorities.

Union representative Mark Froemke calls the behavior "totally unacceptable" and says the union will not tolerate racism.

About 1,300 union workers have been locked out for six weeks in a labor dispute.

Police confirm racial incidents at sugar plant - Houston Chronicle

White people are white people, what do you expect?
Every one of your posts is coated in racism.
And you have the gall to try to hide behind race while pointing fingers at others. You are every bit if not more guilty because you know how it feels to be a victim of racism. Yet, you believe you have carte blanche to make racist statements at will. How ignorant of you.

You seem to have forgotten the cutting of brake lines on trains. I wonder how many children's lives at the bottom of the mountain that put in danger. But that seems to be okay since those kids parents probably were not union members. They might even have been scabs!

Can you not see what you are saying Mikek? I know you don't feel that way, but damnit, that is what you say when you defend this shit!

Immie
They didn't endanger any lives by cutting brake lines. Train brakes are fail-safe -- if they lose air pressure, the brakes engage. They can be disengaged, but it takes someone manually turning a hand wheel on each car.

Until the lines are fixed, the trains aren't going anywhere.

There's plenty to criticize union thugs here about. No need to make it out to be worse than it is. :)

Last edited:
"The introduction of scabs" is not "the primary cause of violence in labor conflicts." Union thugs committing criminal acts of violence is the primary cause.

I laughed out loud when I read that pile of horseshit. "Those scabs made us beat them up!" "The nerve of people working for living!"

Forum List

Back