Strike!!!!

.... Take for instance Toyota, why do you think Toyota is closing down it's only Union facility and moving it to a non-union right to work state. With health benefits added and pension costs it costs more to produce the product therefor making it less competetive. The same can be said for every industry, including steele. While Steele was being dumped on the market here. Union management was stuck in the mode of being inflexible when it came to salary and benefits and often times these companies simply folded. While not blaming the workers themselves for this and Unions completely they are a large contributing factor and there is a large amount of data to support this.

At a time when the average American company requires workers to pay more than $2,000 a year toward family health insurance premiums, the auto industry is among the 4% of employers that offer free family health coverage. Retirees, who outnumber workers by more than 2-to-1 at General Motors and represent significant percentages at the other major U.S. automakers, get the same deal.

And I hope that all Americans are willing to pay a bit more for an automobile that supports their own nation and its people. But sadly I see the likes of Wal-mart profits increasing and realize too quickly that supporting your nation is words it is rarely deeds. Cheap is what sells Sam W realized that too well.

Buy American - support all Americans, including yourself.

Buy American - Support Yourself – Political Pass
Thumbs up Day – Political Pass

Philadelphia Transit workers just settled their strike. I say bravo, if the top has all the money there is hardly any possibility that we will have a just and equitable society. Need to unionize more companies, bravo again.

And the piece below is old and now even more skewed for the rich.

Boston Review | Edward Wolff: Time for a Wealth Tax?

"In 1995, Forbes magazine counted a record 129 American billionaires. Though the super-salaries of athletes and entertainers more frequently grab the headlines, their $5-10 million deals are dwarfed by the accumulated wealth of the richest Americans: Microsoft's Bill Gates -- $12.9 billion; investor Warren Buffet -- $10.7 billion; the duPont family -- $10 billion; the Rockefeller family -- $6 billion; Micromedia's John Kluge -- $5.9 billion; and Microsoft's Paul Allen and Intel's Gordon Moore -- $5.3 billion each.1 An average American family, in contrast, is worth $52,200.2 So it would take a city of almost a quarter of a million such families to match the net worth of Bill Gates."

"The conclusion is that, if anything, tax increases on higher-income families are the least damaging mechanism for closing state fiscal deficits in the short run. Reductions in government spending on goods and services, or reductions in transfer payments to lower-income families, are likely to be more damaging to the economy in the short run than tax increases focused on higher-income families. In any case, in terms of how counter-productive they are, there is no automatic preference for spending reductions rather than tax increases."

Spending Cuts Vs. Tax Increases at the State Level, 10/30/01

It's interesting how the "tax the rich" crowd throw out the worth of people in the Billions as examples, then when the taxes are increased they use some ridiculously low threshold that affects a whole lot of people who are far from the super rich they portray they are targeting.

.... Take for instance Toyota, why do you think Toyota is closing down it's only Union facility and moving it to a non-union right to work state. With health benefits added and pension costs it costs more to produce the product therefor making it less competetive. The same can be said for every industry, including steele. While Steele was being dumped on the market here. Union management was stuck in the mode of being inflexible when it came to salary and benefits and often times these companies simply folded. While not blaming the workers themselves for this and Unions completely they are a large contributing factor and there is a large amount of data to support this.

At a time when the average American company requires workers to pay more than $2,000 a year toward family health insurance premiums, the auto industry is among the 4% of employers that offer free family health coverage. Retirees, who outnumber workers by more than 2-to-1 at General Motors and represent significant percentages at the other major U.S. automakers, get the same deal.

And I hope that all Americans are willing to pay a bit more for an automobile that supports their own nation and its people. But sadly I see the likes of Wal-mart profits increasing and realize too quickly that supporting your nation is words it is rarely deeds. Cheap is what sells Sam W realized that too well.

Buy American - support all Americans, including yourself.

Buy American - Support Yourself – Political Pass
Thumbs up Day – Political Pass

mid, let me ask you something, what do you think most Americans would rather have a job or be unemployed? I'll expand on that a little, take a auto worker that was making 25 dollars and hour who is now unemployed because his or her job went to Texas or some other right to work state.The person there is making 15 dollars an hour with benefits and overtime. Do you think the person who no longer has a job would be happy being employed at that rate or being on unemployment? Thats a harsh reality but in order for this nation(s) industries to remain competetive the days of high salaries and benefits like that are long gone.

update

PHOENIX — A possible strike by workers at Safeway and Fry's in Arizona has been averted.

The United Food and Commercial Workers Union Local 99, Safeway Stores and Kroger Company, the owner of Fry's and Smith's, reached a tentative settlement on a new collective bargaining agreement late Thursday evening, according to a news release.

The union will submit the tentative agreement to its Safeway, Fry's and Smiths members with the union's recommendation that it be approved. The union and the companies have agreed to extend the existing contract pending the outcome of the membership vote
The Associated Press: Arizona grocery strike averted

update

PHOENIX — A possible strike by workers at Safeway and Fry's in Arizona has been averted.

The United Food and Commercial Workers Union Local 99, Safeway Stores and Kroger Company, the owner of Fry's and Smith's, reached a tentative settlement on a new collective bargaining agreement late Thursday evening, according to a news release.

The union will submit the tentative agreement to its Safeway, Fry's and Smiths members with the union's recommendation that it be approved. The union and the companies have agreed to extend the existing contract pending the outcome of the membership vote

Brinkmanship.

update

Smart move for everyone involved.:clap2:

update

Brinkmanship.

Perhaps bob, though on the news here all the workers were faced with being replaced without so much as a glitch. According to news, it looks a lot like the original offer is the one that is going to be accepted anyway. I thought it interesting when listening to the number of people that were ready to disavow their membership in the Union in order to keep their jobs. Arizona has interesting right to work laws that prevent companies from being held hostage by Unions. In the end all the threats of striking did was accomplish nothing but the political goals for the UCFW management and did nothing to help those they represent. As I mentioned before, a novel idea would be to take the Union dues they collect and pay the 15 dollars a week for their members and then they would have what they asked for.

How does one go from making $25 an hour to making 40% less at $15 an hour, and still be able to survive, pay their bills at hand? shoot, in massachusetts, unemployment pays you about $14 an hour?

update

Brinkmanship.

Perhaps bob, though on the news here all the workers were faced with being replaced without so much as a glitch. According to news, it looks a lot like the original offer is the one that is going to be accepted anyway. I thought it interesting when listening to the number of people that were ready to disavow their membership in the Union in order to keep their jobs. Arizona has interesting right to work laws that prevent companies from being held hostage by Unions. In the end all the threats of striking did was accomplish nothing but the political goals for the UCFW management and did nothing to help those they represent. As I mentioned before, a novel idea would be to take the Union dues they collect and pay the 15 dollars a week for their members and then they would have what they asked for.

I wonder, how your news knows the details of the agreement when the article itself said:
Union spokeswoman Ellen Anreder said no details of the tentative agreement would be released until the union and members have a chance to review it.

$15 a week for medical Insurance, and they are bitching about it? These people are in for a rude awakening if they should ever end up on Medicare. That's about $!00 a month per person and I expect that to at least double with the Democrats in office.

Brinkmanship.

I wonder, how your news knows the details of the agreement when the article itself said:
Union spokeswoman Ellen Anreder said no details of the tentative agreement would be released until the union and members have a chance to review it.

Care you would have to address that question to NBC, ABC, FOX, and CBS here. As to your posting before that , do you see unemployment compensation as a job? As I had said earlier if you asked those workers that no longer have those jobs which they prefer, I bet you get a different answer. Your using Mass. which has one of the highest tax obligations in the nation as an example of where wages would not work, and why does Mass. have such a high tax obligation I wonder both in terms of property taxes and income taxes? Care, as I mentioned in my previous posting it's a harsh reality, and many people will have to face the fact that in order to be competetive and to have jobs here those salaries and benefits must also be competetive.

$15 a week for medical Insurance, and they are bitching about it? These people are in for a rude awakening if they should ever end up on Medicare. That's about $!00 a month per person and I expect that to at least double with the Democrats in office.

Dear President Obama:
I want to commend you for bringing America to the table in the effort to
reform our health care system. Health care is a shared responsibility, and we cannot
move forward until all elements of our society fully embrace that principle.
http://www.ufcw.org/docUploads/obamaltr.pdf?CFID=3805712&CFTOKEN=27196096

As I said earlier Ollie this had little to do with the welfare of it's membership and more to do with advancing the agenda of the Union leadership. If the Union management had the welfare of it's members in mind then they would have taken the 25.00 a week they collect for their members and taken 15.00 out of that to pay the difference rather than pay the overbloated salaries of Union management. I agree that you would be hard pressed to find many Americans who would think that 15.00 dollars a week is a bad offer.

Dear President Obama:
reform our health care system. Health care is a shared responsibility, and we cannot

As I said earlier Ollie this had little to do with the welfare of it's membership and more to do with advancing the agenda of the Union leadership. If the Union management had the welfare of it's members in mind then they would have taken the 25.00 a week they collect for their members and taken 15.00 out of that to pay the difference rather than pay the overbloated salaries of Union management. I agree that you would be hard pressed to find many Americans who would think that 15.00 dollars a week is a bad offer.

But doesn't taking that kind of attitude with management of the union... and applying it to the corporation.... mean that CEO'S should cut their own multi million dollar a year salaries to pay for the company's other expenses and pay raises for the workers?

Dear President Obama:

But doesn't taking that kind of attitude with management of the union... and applying it to the corporation.... mean that CEO'S should cut their own multi million dollar a year salaries to pay for the company's other expenses and pay raises for the workers?

There you go assuming again Care *laughs*, I'm kidding you, you know I respect your opinion. If you want my oninion on CEO's salaries well here it is, I don't think a CEO can rightfully claim outlandish salaries without the performance of their company that reflects it. Further, the boards that often times votes for these salaries would be better served if the actual stock holders got a chance to vote in the process and not proxy voters which often times rubber stamp salaries. I tend to believe in what I heard once when a Japanese news service was referring to the resignation of the JAL CEO after the crash of one of it's planes. If the ship is crashing into the rocks you dont throw the crew overboard to get the ship off the rocks you replace the captain.

Godspeed to the United Food Commercial Workers Union Local 99, save America, beat a scab.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvPHQb-acCE]YouTube - Talking Union - Pete Seeger The Legend[/ame]

SIERRA VISTA — Thousands of workers in the state are set to strike tonight if a deal is not reached between union leaders and two grocery chains.

If an agreement between Safeway Inc., Fry’s owner Kroger Co. and the United Food Commercial Workers Union Local 99 is not reached by 6 p.m., about 25,000 union members in the state could walk out.

Fry’s and Safeway, which together employ more than 400 people in Cochise County, have hired thousands of temporary workers in preparation for a strike.

Striking union members would receive $100 a week, said Jim McLaughlin, president of the union.

In September, union members rejected the most recent offer from the employers and voted to authorize its leadership to call a strike if their demands, which include health care coverage without premiums, are not met.

The offer by the two companies would see employees pay up to $15 a week for coverage.

“The employers want to shift more health care costs onto the workers by forcing them to pay new premium fees in addition to the co-pays, deductibles and other costs they already pay,” union spokes woman Ellen Anreder said in a statement earlier this week.
Showdown looming for union, two grocers | The Sierra Vista Herald

Why is it that people assume that their health insurance is their EMPLOYER'S responsibility rather than THEIR OWN responsibility? Why shouldn't employers be required to provide all personal insurance? Auto insurance.. homeowners insurance..renters insurance or life insurance. Are employers the new parents once you leave your Mama and Daddy's house?

Forum List

Back